Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
on line
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This topic came from the towing mileage thread. Do the more recent X's have a solid lockup in 3rd or 4th? My 05 has little or no lockup in 4th (overdrive off). I suspect that accounts for the low towing mileage but seems counter productive in terms of keeping the transmission oil at reasonable temps since I thought torque converter slippage was the prime cause of trans overheating. Towing in overdrive would probably work in flat country but it would likely drop out of overdrive/lockup on hills. On a slightly different topic, the downshifting under light braking in overdrive would be nice to have while towing but this doesn't happen with overdrive off. Based on the engine revs, I think it downshifts into 3rd. The control logic of this downshift is a bit unpredictable but it would still be nice to have while towing.

Rich W

·
on line
145 Posts
Rich W said:
On a slightly different topic, the downshifting under light braking in overdrive would be nice to have while towing but this doesn't happen with overdrive off. Based on the engine revs, I think it downshifts into 3rd. The control logic of this downshift is a bit unpredictable but it would still be nice to have while towing.
Rich W
I just downshift manually if I feel it's beneficial. That way I have control.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts