Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm hoping someone can help as I've been ready forums. I took my 2010 SE into the Nissan dealer for a complete fluid change. All good but they said that the ATF didn't need changing as it's a sealed system and never needs changing. This seemed weird at the time but it changes gear fine. I now need to change all fluids again and everyone is saying every 30Kmiles. Has anyone heard of what Nissan said and is there any truth to it? Just as a note, I'm in Oman and it's a GCC spec X.

Cheers
Paul

·
Registered
156 Posts
ATF needs to be changed every 30K. There is no such thing as a "sealed system" there is a pan and plug under there and it is for changing the fluid.
You can easily change it yourself or at any basic shop. If you can't find the Nissan ATF, go with Valvoline Maxlife ATF it is the same spec.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Drain and fill.
This should be routine maintenance.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks everyone. Another reason why I have never been back to the Nissan dealer. Off to get some ATF tonight and it will be a job for next weekend. Does anyone know how much I need for a drain and refill? I saw that it takes 10.2L which I am assuming is from empty.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Materials needed
6 qts of trans fluid ( probably only need 5)
Crush washer ( same size used for oil pan)
Funnel with a small neck
Tea pitcher which is clear in color (1 gallon or larger is better)
Socket and wrench

Steps
Check your trans fluid level to be sure its at the proper level
Loosen your trans drain plug
Place the tea pitcher in place to catch the drained trans fluid.
Remove the plug
Drain trans fluid
Mark the pitcher showing where the top of the fluid level is at.
Replace the drain plug with a new crush washer in place . tighten to spec I believe its 25ft/lbs
Discard the fluid in the pitcher and refill the pitcher to the mark you placed with fresh fluid.
Refill your transmission through the small tube which was used to check your fluid level.

Take the X for a drive and recheck your fluid level.

If you can change your oil you can perform a drain and fill of your trans.
Ps this method only replaces what fluid which is in the pan of the trans. When performed as routine maintenance you will easily keep the fluids in your trans changed.

There is a poor mans flush of the trans which is more involved if you are so inclined. I tend to simply drain and fill as this is what your dealership would do.

Funny stuff. Ive heard of dealerships charging for the full volume of the fluids a trans can hold when they only replaced 5qts. Hmmmmm

·
Super Moderator
4,217 Posts
For "severe" use the FSM calls for a "drain and fill" every 30K miles. This changes a portion of the transmission system's total capacity, not all of it. The FSM does not detail a procedure for a full flush, nor is a full flush ever mentioned as part of routine maintenance. A procedure similar to the "poor man's flush is mentioned in connection with circumstances where flushing the factory external ATF cooler is required.

The "poor man's flush" changes all of the ATF and if done the with the "Surf and Snow Method" doesn't take any more time than a drain and fill.

I used to "drain and fill," now I flush out all the old fluid at 30,000 mile intervals. My reasoning is that it doesn't require any more time and costs only a few dollars more than only changing half the ATF. Also, my Xterra sees severe duty, I live in a climate with very hot summers, and I regularly pull long mountain grades that build heat and shorten the life of ATF.

I use Valvoline Maxlife ATF

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Glad everything turned out well for you.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts