Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
on line
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The owners manual says over 10 quarts,

when changing the fluid, drain refill, does it really take 10 quarts?

has anybody done a drain and refill, and know just how much is required?

The fluid is expensive, so I hate to buy more than I need.

Thanks,

~Lewis

·
on line
15,651 Posts
I am not sure what you will need, I let the dealer do it for me. I say buy 10qts and when buying, ask if you can return what is not used.

10qts would be for a full flush, I bet there is at least 2 qts stuck in the torque converter.

·
on line
28 Posts
I didn't want to mess with flushing the system so I just drained the pan. It holds 4 quarts and so I did 2 more drain and fills over the next 500 miles.

·
on line
15,651 Posts
Wow, there is a lot of old fluid left in that tanny is it really does take 10qt's empty. Which is not uncommon, but it does show why with new tranny's that a flush is usually better.

And hey, since you dropped the pan, do our tranny's have filters? I know the first gens did not.

·
on line
28 Posts
I only removed the drain plug, but I'm pretty sure there is a mesh screen for a filter and a couple of magnets attached to the bottom of the pan.

·
on line
3,484 Posts
When I do mine, pretty soon, I'm going with Amsoil. and here is my plan. If there is a drain plug, I'll warm it up and dump a little out of there. (Just to let any shavings or trash out.) Then I'll bring it back up to near full and using clear hoses and two 5 gallon buckets, one cleaned with brake cleaner, I'll fill it with the required amount of oil plus one qt to allow for lee way. Then I will disconnect the trans cooler hose from the radiator and determine direction of flow, I'll put output hose into empty bucket and have input hose in clean bucket full of Amsoil Trans fluid, Start the X and let the complete change begin! When the fluid in the amsoil bucket is gone, I'm done, I put the cooler lines back on, top it off, drive it, check for leaks and check level again.

What would be the sense of changing half the fluid? Would you drain 2 Quarts of oil and call it an oil change?

This way you change all the fluid.

I add that a GM power train engineer warned me about going to shops to do this, he said the machines pickup junk from other tyranny's and by operator mistake, they can add their junk to your tranny and .......there goes your tranny! He said DIY this way, I have done it about 5 times it works well.

According to Amsoil web site, it takes 11 Qts of
http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/SearchResult.aspx?CategoryID=46
Automatic Transmission.....SLF[3]
Synthetic Automatic Transmission Fluid About $9 a qt. Far better than Nissan J an Amsoil always.
OR 3. Use Genuine NISSAN Matic J TRANS fluid.
OR Continental USA & Alaska use Nissan Matic D. CAN use
Nissan ATF. DEXRON-III/MERCON may be used as alternative.
Automatic Transmission, Total Fill
5 speed RE5R05A..........11.0 quarts.

For any cap questions go here: http://www.amsoil.com/ click on Red online application guide and walk through that to Xterra Specs. They don't mention a torque spec for the Auto Trans drain plug....not to say there is not one but they normally would have that. If anyone finds out let me know and I'll notify them.

MC
Amsoil Dealer ZO 1447837
I'm buying it!

·
on line
3,285 Posts
My '01 2WD Automatic took 5 qts on a drain and fill.

My '06 OR 4x4 Automatic took 4.5 qts on a drain and fill.

Both vehicles have a drain plug on the tranny. The '01 has an internal filter that I changed at 60K miles. I am guessing that the '06 also has an internal filter, but I haven't dropped the pan yet.

The extra .5 qt in the '01 was because I dropped the pan and changed the filter.

I didn't mind only changing "half the fluid" because I am way ahead of schedule on changing the fluid anyway. BTW, on the '06, I used the Amsoil ATF fluid that is marketed as being an equivalent of Nissan Matic J.

·
on line
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Guys,

10 quarts sounded like way too much, most owners manuals state how much fluid for a drain refill, the nissan manual did not, it only gives the capacity of the system.

My jeeps and Dodge Durango stated how much for a drain refill.

I have a service manual cd I got off of ebay, and it doesnt say either.

kind of odd.

I will go and by 6 quarts, (one extra)

~Lewis

1 - 9 of 9 Posts