Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

21 - 40 of 55 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,953 Posts
Tranny Slipping in Reverse Only-auto Trans

I sometimes have this happen, I put it in reverse and it will take 3 seconds to engage. Hopefully it's just the shift solenoid.

Yea, hopefully.

If it's more, I'll just have to vk56 swap. Shucks :)

We'll find out on Monday.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
18 Posts
Thanks for the quick replies guys. Unfortunately, my tranny started slipping in drive too, and the transmission fluid level looked fine, so I brought it into the dealer.

I'll update when they figure out what the problem is so that people in the future can refer to this for ideas. Hopefully it's just a faulty shift solenoid or something easy and cheap.

·
Premium Member
9,953 Posts
If it is a solenoid, you would likely throw a code.

My reverse doesn't work at all anymore, no matter what. Forward shifts are very soft - I'd probably see an issue with that relatively soon too if I kept driving it. I obviously have a pressure issue - hard so say exactly what is causing it without tearing it down.

I'll be putting a reman in mine in the next few weeks.

If you figure yours out, please post up!

·
Premium Member
888 Posts
I have the same issue where I now can't reverse on anything but level ground. It just slips and doesn't apply enough torque to move the truck even with a decent amount of throttle input. Like a reverse clutch isn't fully engaging. It does reverse on level ground luckily. Switching to 4wd didn't have any effect.

77K miles. Rad bypass years ago, both fluids clean and checked regularly. Matic S ATF flushed every 35K (most recently about 5 weeks ago) and level is fine when checked at both hot and cold. No codes thrown.

I'm gonna have to take it to a GOOD Transmission shop for diagnostic & repair since there's not much we can do or check ourselves right? I've read up on the FSM investigation steps and have done all I'm able to. Winter is around the corner, so I'll need to get this fixed soon.

I'll update this thread with cause & solution (& cost... ugh). Also means I'll have to get some Matic S, D (transfer case), and any other fluids they'll likely be needing to drain/replace.

(may be regretting dodging all of those extended warranty calls and letters I've gotten the past two years... but probably not)

·
TNX Veteran & LPM
7,842 Posts
I had the same issue in a GMC Yukon I owned. Topped the fluid off since was very low, but was too late by that point. Tranny was shot. Long drawn out story, but the shop I took it to, to have a fuel pump replaced messed with my engine and had the tranny dipstick out. They were a very shady shop (now closed) and the yukon has been long since sold "as is". Forced me to buy a new vehicle since they had it forever and kept messing it up. But at least I got my X since I needed a new vehicle :p

·
Registered
387 Posts
Just throwing this out there...
Torque Converter?
waaay back when I owned a Cutlass, that was the problem I had. Same symptoms you guys are having.

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
is this a consistent issue, or just happened the one time? if the spot you were parked in had a bit of incline, sometimes the hill start assist will grab and not let you move for a second until you give it some gas. i've had mine do that a couple times pulling into my garage because the driveway has a slight incline and it will kick the HSA in

·
Premium Member
9,953 Posts
Haha no, definitely not hill assist. Mine is an s. I can sit on flat ground, put it in reverse and rev it to 4k. Might rock a few inches. No codes, not solenoid, not shift linkage. The last time I got it in, the stall speed was a touch high - 2550-2600 rpm stall (spec is 2300-2500 iirc). Forward shifts ok but on the soft side. Still have the forward "creep" when stopped, but also a bit weak.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
9,953 Posts
Accidentally updated the wrong thread but I'll re-post it here in case others have the issue in the future.

Drum roll..... The verdict is in on mine. Broken snap ring and sheared reverse solenoid. Solenoid still fired, but the piston was broken in two.

All new seals, clutches, solenoid, pump, torque converter, and shift kit and she's shifting very solid. Happy to have the xterra running again.

It was an 07 w/ 134k miles

·
Premium Member
888 Posts
Just got mine back today. Same thing. Snap ring broke and wore apart, junking up the whole friction clutch pack for reverse. My guy put in the rebuild kit with new seals, plates, and all. Runs fine now. He said the repair kit for this transmission has a replacement snap ring that they grind the end and have to tap it into place so it can't come undone like the last one. So Nissan improved the part, and no recall was placed. Guess it wasn't cost effective for them. Sure as hell not cost effective for ME! Jackasses.

There was also a bearing missing... yeah. Missing! never installed at the factory. So they ordered one and put it in where it was supposed to go and did all the checkouts.

Just glad to have my X back!... too bad it was the same dollar cost as a full trip to somewhere very nice, warm, and fun. Merry Christmas Nissan!

21 - 40 of 55 Posts