Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
918 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This problem just started tonight when I left the grocery store. I put the X in reverse and nothing happens but as soon as I give it a little gas reverse engages. Truck runs fine in all other gears. I haven't checked the fluid yet. Just wanted to see if anybody had any thoughts besides low fluid. Although I don't think it is that since I would expect it to slip when I am in drive.

·
on line
22,508 Posts
This problem just started tonight when I left the grocery store. I put the X in reverse and nothing happens but as soon as I give it a little gas reverse engages. Truck runs fine in all other gears. I haven't checked the fluid yet. Just wanted to see if anybody had any thoughts besides low fluid. Although I don't think it is that since I would expect it to slip when I am in drive.
I have seen this happen many times simply from low fluid. Check it warm and with the truck running. I bet your low.

·
Premium Member
9,953 Posts
I know it's a long shot given how old this thread is but did you figure out what was causing that? Mine started doing that today. Put it in reverse, nothing happens. Give it some gas and it skips a bit and then engages. No slipping at all in drive. Checked the trans fluid and it is dead on hot full (warm, running, level ground etc etc). Fluid probably has about 15-20k on it.

·
Premium Member
9,953 Posts
I know it's a long shot given how old this thread is but did you figure out what was causing that? Mine started doing that today. Put it in reverse, nothing happens. Give it some gas and it skips a bit and then engages. No slipping at all in drive. Checked the trans fluid and it is dead on hot full (warm, running, level ground etc etc). Fluid probably has about 15-20k on it.

Quick update - just checked the fluid level again now that I'm home (was in NC on vacation). Level is reading low now - about half way up the cold when the transmission is warm/hot. That's more than likely the issue. I'll top it off tomorrow and update. One of my hose clamps on the aux trans cooler probably worked loose again.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
9,953 Posts
Ok, topped off the fluid so it's completely full and it is still doing this. Anyone have any ideas before I take it to a shop?

Other interesting note - I can't find where it is leaking - not sure how it got low on fluid (I'm bypassed so it's not smod).

·
Registered
366 Posts
Does the fluid smell burnt??

If you were low for some time it actually could have damaged the clutches or seals with how hot they get slipping.

The best thing you could do if it smells burnt and you don't have the money to fix it is to drain it out, pull the pan, replace the filter, and refill with lucas oil transmission slip stop substituted for 1 qt.

If it does not smell burnt then STOP DRIVING IT and get it to a transmission shop or two. Getting more than one opinion is best. They will want to replace or rebuild when you may be able to get away with an adjustment.

·
Premium Member
9,953 Posts
To be more accurate, it is not slipping once in reverse, it is just taking much longer than normal to shift into reverse. It will shift in without giving it any gas but it takes maybe 15 seconds.

I'm going to flush it today and see if that helps. If not, I'm taking it to a shop.

·
Registered
366 Posts
When a transmission is cold at startup the fluid is a little thicker and it can take longer to build pressure. Especially if the filter is somewhat plugged. If the filter is plugged enough it could even do it warm or in forward gears.

You said that the fluid was changed 20k ago. How many miles did it have on the fluid before that? Its very possible that even if the filter were changed at that time that the old fluid had broken down enough to allow a buildup. When the new fluid was added it would have had a better detergent effect causing the crud to break free and end up in the filter thus leaving you where you are now.

I would suggest another fluid and filter change. I know it sucks but it really is the cheapest (haha, I know but in the realm of what else it could be) and easiest thing to try. If the filter was the problem, the issue should immediately go away after you cycle the new fluid.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Could be a faulty shift solenoid.
Are these internal or external. They are usually cheap and fairly easy to install.

jsexton:

Does the trans rev as if it were in neutral until it engages reverse or is it more of a slow(slower than a jar into gear) engagement.

·
Premium Member
9,953 Posts
I've been flushing the trans fluid (pmf) every 20-30k since I bought it with 50k on the clock. It has 133,xxx on it now.

I've never dropped the pan so the filter could very well be clogged. It is worse when the transmission is warm than when it's cold.

My money is on a solenoid like surf said. I'm going to call some shops to see if anyone can take a look this weekend.

Thanks for the advise/brainstorming guys. Keep it coming if you have other ideas.

Since I've never done it, how hard is it to drop the pan and clean the screen? I imagine it is pretty easy but I've never done it before.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Had pretty much exact symptom with a VW. Shift solenoid went bad, problem fixed

·
Premium Member
9,953 Posts
Are these internal or external. They are usually cheap and fairly easy to install.

jsexton:

Does the trans rev as if it were in neutral until it engages reverse or is it more of a slow(slower than a jar into gear) engagement.

It revs like it is in neutral and then jars onto gear.

The more I think about it the more I think it's the solenoid. My brothers 06 had a solenoid go bad last year with similar mileage.

·
Banned
170 Posts
there arent filters on our transmissions.
its a metal mesh screen. that lasts the life of your transmission.
no need to remove.

sounds like the valve body is having pressure issues. it could be a shifting solenoid, but you wont know until you pull it apart or take it somewhere.
PNRDL is all done mechanically. so not building pressure to stop your main gear for reverse.

Reactions: bluez

·
Registered
366 Posts

·
Banned
170 Posts
Tranny Slipping in Reverse Only-auto Trans

yep. you never need to remove it.
ive removed 4 lol. from various swaps and one was damaged, ect.
but they were all very clean. they arent meant to pick up microbials.
just stop larger debris from running through the VB

1 - 20 of 55 Posts