Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This might be a dumb question, but the Xterra is the first automatic transmission vehicle I have owned.

I noticed the other day that when I am parked on a downhill slope (front of car pointing downwards) when I take it out of Park and put it into Reverse, the brake automatically pushes itself down until I give it gas which I thought was pretty cool.

Is this a function that all automatic cars do? Or is it just an Xterra thing? Or is it part of the Downhill Ascent function.

·
Registered
117 Posts
From nissanusa explore xterra

"Hill descent control and hill start assist (automatic transmission only)

Hill start assist works on the uphill swing to help prevent rolling backward when you’re starting from a stop on an incline. This system applies the brakes for a few moments, allowing you enough time to switch from the brake pedal to the accelerator. Conversely, Hill descent control makes going down steep grades more manageable. Flip the switch, ease your foot off the accelerator, and this system automatically adjusts your speed and brake pressure to help keep you going at a controlled speed, freeing you up to concentrate on navigating difficult off-road situations."

·
Banned
4,806 Posts
From nissanusa explore xterra

"Hill descent control and hill start assist (automatic transmission only)

Hill start assist works on the uphill swing to help prevent rolling backward when you’re starting from a stop on an incline. This system applies the brakes for a few moments, allowing you enough time to switch from the brake pedal to the accelerator. Conversely, Hill descent control makes going down steep grades more manageable. Flip the switch, ease your foot off the accelerator, and this system automatically adjusts your speed and brake pressure to help keep you going at a controlled speed, freeing you up to concentrate on navigating difficult off-road situations."
Thanks. You really cleared things up for everyone.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
2,226 Posts
Why does an auto tranny vehicle need hill start assist?
Doesn't "need" it, but still a nice feature to have.
Allows easier one foot transition from brake to gas while minimizing roll back.

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Hill Assist would be more useful with the manual gearbox. I never had a problem with hills while driving an auto equipped truck, but sitting on a hill, feathering the clutch to keep from rolling back took a few times to master. I remember stalling out a couple times before getting the hang of it.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
pretty sure its just something all automatic cars do
lol....3 diff responds...3 diff answers
Yours was wrong though lol ;)

Maybe it's standard on more of the new cars and trucks but the majority of autos on the road don't have this feature.

It's a very good feature. It's keeps the wear and tear on the tranny way down in hilly off road situations

This is the first truck I've owned that has it ..

·
Registered
76 Posts
Sammy Hagar and I were born with TWO feet: One foot on the brake, one on the gas... :) Useless feature on an auto IMO

Agree it would be much more useful on the MT, but would be MUCH harder to program that feature to work in all situations. I have yet to use the start in gear function Nissan added to the X but will try it in Moab next month just to see how well it works.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Do you have two feet? Easiest transition EVER.

Anti-rollback on an auto tranny is the most useless application ever applied to any vehicle. Totally pointless and worthless to anyone that has two feet and half a brain.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts