Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
on line
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everybody,

To start, great site, great write-ups and even sweeter pics. Love it, thanks to all!

05 S 4WD with stock wheels here. I live in Richmond, VA but will be taking a trip to WVA for some snow boarding in Jan. I've been anxious in the snow/ice ever since the last trip to the same place and I almost lost it on the highway (buddy of mine did some spinning out on the same trip). Richmonders don't get snow that often, maybe a couple inches the entire winter, so, other than getting winter tires, I was wondering if this autosock was any good. Has anybody heard of/used it? Used it on a X?

http://www.tirerack.com/accessories/autosock/autosock.jsp

Thanks,

·
on line
15,651 Posts
Interesting idea, but they seem like a real pain. Just like chains, they look like a good idea if you are only on a snow covered road, but rarely are all the roads in a given area totally covered in snow. Sounds like you would be puting them on and taking them off way too much.

Personally, slow down and flip it into 4wd and you'll be fine. Those things are only good up to 30mph any way.

·
on line
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yea I was thinking the same thing. Plus, it'll be a group of us driving up. I don't like causing others delay, so I don't wanna be that guy. Thanks.

·
on line
1,864 Posts
:clown: It's an old idea, especially in Europe--

--They cost as much and more, than various type tire chains, BUT

--I don't know of any state that allows them, on public roads, especia;lly when the State hiwy division puts up "SNOW CHAINS REQUIRED" signs--

-- :geek: :geek: --JIMBO

·
on line
807 Posts
"confirmed that AutoSock increases traction on snow and ice substantially over summer tires."

You don't have summer tires, you have all-seasons. I think you'd be better without them.

·
on line
15,651 Posts
JIMBO said:
:clown: It's an old idea, especially in Europe--

--They cost as much and more, than various type tire chains, BUT

--I don't know of any state that allows them, on public roads, especia;lly when the State hiwy division puts up "SNOW CHAINS REQUIRED" signs--

-- :geek: :geek: --JIMBO
That's probably true. But I have never seen a "Snow chains required" sign in WV...though I have been on some roads where there should have been. :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts