Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
on line
4,594 Posts
is it really that hard to turn the knob before you get out?

Not typically.

However, on some systems that have an auto off feature the lights remain on even though the knob (and power) is turned to off.

This gives you a period of time to see where you going before they go dark. Marketers would call it a security feature.

·
on line
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
cincinnati_xterra said:
dont mean to be a **** but is it really that hard to turn the knob before you get out?
YOUR SUCH AN A***** :cheese: Nah its not that hard to turn off at all but, the setting its at is just not good for me! First, I didn't even know they turned off automatically so using the headlights to work on a broke down car, bam they go out on me as I am in a bad position. Second, they stay on too long to get from driveway to house.

If anyone has any leads on if this is a setting that can be changed please pass that info on. I unfortunatly dont have a FSM yet so I can look this up. Thanks for the help.

·
on line
1,084 Posts
Lonesome Crow said:
Nichol said:
Is there anyway to adjust the time for the automatic shut off your lights?
Are auto off light an "SE" option?
I have an X model and i found out accidently about this feature. Its a nice little idea for those who are just forgetful.

·
on line
1,884 Posts
So are you guys saying:

If you ignore the screaming noise when you leave your lights on and engine off, the lights will shut themselves off in some amount of time?

·
on line
615 Posts
RogueClimber said:
So are you guys saying:

If you ignore the screaming noise when you leave your lights on and engine off, the lights will shut themselves off in some amount of time?
Screaming noise is an understatement......pulling into the parking lot at school at 7 am on a monday and opening the door before turning that knob results in instant ear bleeding

·
on line
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
hmmm my loud annoying buzzer must not work because with key out, lights on, engine off I have no noise. with keys in lights on and door open I get a buzzer. anyone else's work this way?

Does anyone have any leads on how to adjust the auto turn off?

·
on line
2,077 Posts
i think i get a dinging sound....can't really remember, but i know it's not a loud buzzing noise.

i think the automatic headlight shutoff timer is 10 minutes...it's probably programmed into the computer, so i don't know if there is a way to change it.

·
on line
45 Posts
Being a noob and all (only have about 250 miles on my new X), it turns out that I am familiar with the manual. On page 2-24:

Battery Saver System

If the ignition switch is turned off while the headlight switch is in the parking light or headlight on positions, the headlights will turn off after 5 minutes.

Now the odd part:

after the headlights automatically turn off with the headlight switch in the parking light or headlight on position, the headlights illuminate again for 5 minutes, if the headlight switch is moved to the off position and then turned to the on position.

Or words to that effect.

Is that handy? I wonder.

Also, naturally there is a caution paragraph stating that even though the battery saver system turns off the headlights after a period of time, you should turn the headlight switch to the OFF position when the engine is not running to avoid discharging the battery.

Laughably, the manual seems to be nothing but Cautions, and Warnings! I may have to get rid of it (the manual that is!). :drunken:

So no mention of adjusting the interval. I'm new here so it wouldn't surprise me if one of you modders had hacked the system though! :geek:

·
on line
82 Posts
I think this feature on the X is meant only to prevent you from running your battery dead, not in place of auto on/off headlights. My brother has a frontier LE and his headlight selector has an on/off/auto mode.

It is probably not the best idea to just leave the headlights in the on position at all time.

·
on line
874 Posts
here is some info for ya

BATTERY SAVER CONTROL
When the combination switch (lighting switch) is in the 2ND position (ON), and the ignition switch is turned
from ON or ACC to OFF, the battery saver control feature is activated.
Under this condition, the headlamps remain illuminated for 5 minutes, unless the combination switch (lighting
switch) position is changed. If the combination switch (lighting switch) position is changed, then the headlamps
are turned off.

using a daiagnosis tool such as a scan gauge, when you plug into the port under the dash you then have the option of leavint the battery saver option at its default (5 min) or off all together.

·
on line
3,262 Posts
marzterra said:
here is some info for ya
using a daiagnosis tool such as a scan gauge, when you plug into the port under the dash you then have the option of leavint the battery saver option at its default (5 min) or off all together.
Thats pretty cool!

·
on line
1,208 Posts
marzterra said:
here is some info for ya

BATTERY SAVER CONTROL
When the combination switch (lighting switch) is in the 2ND position (ON), and the ignition switch is turned
from ON or ACC to OFF, the battery saver control feature is activated.
Under this condition, the headlamps remain illuminated for 5 minutes, unless the combination switch (lighting
switch) position is changed. If the combination switch (lighting switch) position is changed, then the headlamps
are turned off.

Right on, If you look at your battery, all that fancy stuff on the positive terminal is a meter. When you turn your X off the computer monitors the electrical draw with that stuff. Once it reaches a point it shuts off those extra things, like lights, inside light and outside lights etc. to keep you from getting a dead battery. :D

1 - 17 of 17 Posts