1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Professional Amateur Wanderer
471 Posts
I liked the MK808BT which is very similar to this except that it has wireless connectivity from OBDII to the ruggedized tablet. The only drawback was that it didn't have actuation tests, but it did allow you to set parameters for the systems listed on the box which is nice. I am planning on upgrading to the MK906BT when it goes on sale as it has additional diagnostics adapters for other makes and models of vehicles versus strictly OBDII. I work on enough cars for fun that I figured it would be a worthwhile purchase even though it is in the $999+ range regular price.

There aren't a whole lot of configurable parameters on our Xterra's, can't even change the tire/wheel size. The only real parameters I was able to adjust was how the doors auto lock and unlock, how the lighting delay is set, and a few other very minor settings. I do like the ability to plug the small dongle in and watch live data while I test drive my rigs. I can keep an eye on my coolant temps, RPMs, vehicle speed sensors, and a few other parameters that may be of interest depending on what system I intend to work on.

There are certain things on Yota's that you really want to be able to test before having to rip apart the entire upper intake plenum to diagnose physically. It's nice to be able to command the ECU to turn things on and off at will. Stupid SAIS system that the fan breaks and it takes out 3 valves with it, as one example. The other is the auto-leveling air suspension system. This is where a wireless connection really shines. You can be under the vehicle checking for leaks and commanding the compressor on, rather than needing an assistant to cycle it on the diagnostic tool while you check for leaks. I rarely have the luxury of a helper, and when I do, they usually have the attention span of a banana slug or something. Total PITA repair, but I digress. Actuation tests typically time out after 5-30 seconds depending on system being tested, so running back and forth to a wired tool can be and exercise in futility. The tests also lock out after 3-5 actuations depending on the system and require a "cool down" of at least 10-30 minutes before they can be accessed again.

I tried other scanners as well, the Launch x431 Mini and the x431 Pro, both were rather disappointing since they tended to freeze up a lot and take a lot of time to process anything and even then the software would often crash in the middle of the test, which is very annoying since functions are buried pretty deep in nonsensical menus, the lack of a "select all" really sucks, and it takes forever to switch pages between monitors (which if done too frequently, results in...you guessed it, software crash). I am pretty happy with the Autel menu system on the 808 series and I hope that speed and intuitive interface carried over to the 906BT. I will post more when it arrives. The Launch scanners also lacked descriptions of what the setting "modes" are, they only list "mode 1, mode 2, etc, etc" whereas the Autel tool had a nice description of what each "mode" represented for the manufacturer on the 808 series at least. This is very helpful in being able to set parameters correctly without having to search out the mode definitions in an FSM. I also don't like that Launch essentially tells you that their support warranty is void if you install third part applications onto their Android tablet. The lack of a spot to stow the bluetooth dongle and the shear size of the thing are also a hindrance. You cannot drive the vehicle with the dongle in place on the X or a Pathfinder because it sticks down so low and blocks the clutch. The Autel was much more compact, about the size of the ELM based BT dongles that are very popular. Refresh rate on data for both systems isn't super fast, but definitely more responsive on the Autel vs Launch. Both were fairly capable of reading full system data, I got a count of how many times I aired down and tripped the TPMS :p and found hard evidence of a voltage sag in the integrated Rockford Fosgate head unit which resulted in a warranty exchange :)

Just my $0.02 cents.

·
471 Posts
I just noticed that my signature got totally botched. I have never owned a "2013 Avalanche White Xterraista" I will have to look around in the setting. Thanks again AG.....yet another thing you broke.

·
471 Posts
I have been talking with Autel customer service as I had mentioned. The guys are pretty cool and they've been really helpful. They gave me a promo code for all us new Xers, additional $23 off with code "LW7EN63H" I don't know how long they'll keep the promo up for. But, hopefully, it'll help some of us out.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts