Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
on line
853 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is a copy of what was posted by XtoolBox in the SCCX forum on XOC (our club website is still down). Moderators: if posting this is not appropriate, please let me know.

Going for something a bit different this month; a back to basics Sunday beginners run closer to town, centralized location easily reached from SD, OC, or LA.

Everybody is encouraged to attend :wave: so come out for a fun day outdoors. Please post up if you're intrested, have questions, etc. make sure to pack a lunch and bring everthing you would normally need for a full day outdoors.

General Meet ~ 9:30 am. Lake Elsinore Outlet Center - 17600 Collier Ave, Lake Elsinore CA 92530. 15 Fwy, one exit north of Lake Elsinore / Hwy 74. Take the Nichols Rd exit west or right to Collier then go left & proceed to far end of the center next to the gas station.

Highlights: Spectacular views form Mount Wilson to the Coronado Islands. Ridge running on fun twisting dirt roads to one of the highest peaks (Santiago 5400+) in OC. Off-road play time at Wildomar OHV

Difficulity: The Indian Truck Trail is easy & generally graded dirt type fire road with some small rocky sections near the top / peak and can be done in any Xterra. New Off roaders/members are especially encouraged to participate. Wildomar OHV offers a variety of challenges form mild to wild and is a good place to practice your off-roading driving skills/ techniques or just goof around.

Time & Distances:
Indian Truck Trail (5S01) to Santiago Peak: 12+ miles roughly / 2+ hours with a couple of stops including lunch.
Santiago Peak to Main Divide (3S04) & Wildomar OHV: 20+ miles roughly / 3+ hours including stops.

Indian Truck Trail (5S01) to Santiago Peak
This trail (5S01) is reachable by taking the Indian Truck Trail exit off the 15 about ~ 9 miles North of Lake Elsinore. The 12 miles ascent will take us through some beautiful forested areas and offers outstanding views as we make our way to Santiago Peak at 5400’. After lunch we will head back down the same we came but this time take the Main Divide Rd (3S04) down about 6 miles SE of the Peak.

Wildomar OHV
The Main Divide Rd (3S04) descent will give us a glimpse of Trabuco Peak and we make our way down the hill through the forest. After ~ 10 miles we will come to the Ortega Hwy on the way down North of Lake Elisnore. We will follow the Hwy to the intersection with Killen Road and turn left at the dirt Y and follow the road south for approx. 9 miles to the Wildomar OHV area. The OHV area features a variety of different trails and terrain so we will play it by ear after checking trail conditions. We may elect to break off into small groups after a general overview / run around the main area. The trails are short and tight in places so some pinstriping may occur.

Wildomar OHV Info:
http://www.goodtime.net/mvi/lcmvi099.htm

Cleveland NF:
Trabuco Ranger District
1147 E. Sixth Street
Corona, CA 91719
(909) 736-1811

FRS Channel 1, Subcode 24
CB Channel 12

From the last run:

·
on line
589 Posts
I definitely WANT to go...BUT...the condition remains that if the Chargers make it that far into the playoffs I will be watching there game that day... :drunken:

·
on line
589 Posts
It's funny you would mention that, the more I think about it, the more I start thinking that if I really want to watch the game I could just use my DVR. Granted watching it like that isn't the same, but I do really want to go on this run. We'll see, this would be my first 'X' run so it would be fun.

I should have my new 'Syndicate' (255/85 16) tires on the car as well! Sadly though, the bumper and sliders don't look like they'll be here in time.

·
on line
1,831 Posts
Happy to hear you say that man. Yeah, it doesn't sound like you'd need any armor on this run anyway. Hope you decide to take advantage of your Tivo.

·
on line
279 Posts
I'm interested in attending, but I'm not a member of SCCX. I could not get back onto the site after visiting earlier last year.

·
on line
853 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
syndicate said:
Their official website is down. I don't think it matters that you're not a "member".
That's correct. Everyone is welcome to show up. Don't worry about not being a member. I think you'll find a pretty good group of people. Just one warning: when XtoolBox (Brian) says a trail is "stock friendly" keep in mind his view is from the cab of a lifted SAS'd X. I've been around about a year now, and that seems to be the running joke, at least since Rattlesnake Canyon last February. Of course, both Ed_Monster and I actually did that one completely stock, in brand new trucks, with no real big problems. That even included a short section or two rated Difficult in the Wells guidebook.

We are working on getting the club website back up, but it seems to be taking a while, so we are using the forum on XOC in the meantime. I posted this here because I know that many here do not frequent XOC.

So, pack up some lunch and the family and come join us for a drive in the hills. We generally try to do runs on the third weekend of the month.

·
on line
279 Posts
Thanks for the info. I'll see what I can do. I used to work in retail and never got weekends off. I'm between jobs right now, so I think I'll take advantage of the situation.

·
on line
463 Posts
I plan on being there.
Big Gala event the night before, though, so plan on no drinking.

Hey here's a good one, " Watch for the Silver 2005 Xterra ! "
One of them should be me.

Jim B

·
on line
1,831 Posts
Bad news... I've gotta do some emergency consulting in Florida from the 18th-21st. Kind of an interesting situation, two daughters of an oil company exec were taken for ransom in S.America and things look grim.
Anyway, I land back in San Diego at noon. Do you guys think it'll still work for me to meet you out there or should I wait until the next event?

·
on line
853 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
syndicate said:
Bad news... I've gotta do some emergency consulting in Florida from the 18th-21st. Kind of an interesting situation, two daughters of an oil company exec were taken for ransom in S.America and things look grim.
Anyway, I land back in San Diego at noon. Do you guys think it'll still work for me to meet you out there or should I wait until the next event?
It's probably a good 2 hour drive from SD Airport up to the meet spot, and from Brian's description, sounds like we'll be a fair distance from there by mid-afternoon. You might be able to find the group at the OHV later in the day, but it seems like a long drive, with little daylight left when you get there.

Hope all works out well in SA.

·
on line
641 Posts
syndicate said:
Where in SA?

·
on line
853 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
syndicate said:
Venezuela, and I think I'm going to try and find you guys anyway.
Hope you can make it, it would be good to meet you. We'll be using FRS radios set to channel 1, subcode 24. Don't know if there is cell phone coverage up there, but I did PM you my number earlier.

·
on line
1,831 Posts
Yeah, I got your PM. Thank you. I'll be sure to try the cell as I hit the road. I'm also bringing my FRS so I'm sure I'll eventually find you guys.

·
on line
1,732 Posts
$HIT I really wish I would've heard abt this earlier !! I gotta wrk this coming weekend , been looking forward to A group outing since i bought the x !! I might have to come down w/a stomach virus for the weekend :puke: and call off

·
on line
641 Posts
syndicate said:
Venezuela, and I think I'm going to try and find you guys anyway.
That's what I thought. That's my hometown. :cyclops:
I worked for the Venezuelan oil industry many years ago.

Sorry to highjack the thread.

·
on line
279 Posts
Found out the wife has to work on Sunday, so I have the baby that day. I'd like to get out and meet with you guys, so I'll keep my eyes open for upcoming runs.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts