Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took a short vacation to Jacksonville Beach last week Traveled from Metro Atlanta to Jacksonville without using interstates. Great way to travel when time allows, much more relaxing and you get to see so much more. For this trip it only took 45 minutes more but saved 70miles.

Cool custom mailbox near Mansfield GA

Eatonton PD/FD

Shady Dale GA City Hall, Bank, and Library.

Mural in McRae GA

Saw the Statue of Liberty for the first time, also in McRae GA

Neat old house, place is falling down but the windmill was still spinning.

9-11 mural in Lumber City GA

Old railroad bridge in Lumber City GA

Okefenokee Swamp

Thursday morning sunrise

Friday I went for a drive down the A1A from Jacksonville to Daytona Beach.

St Augustine draw bridge.

While driving on the A1A I noticed I was paralleling a road named Old A1A. Found a way onto it to check it out. Would not mind owning a home on this road less traveled.

Not all of it was paved

This old A1A home is for sale for just $600.000

Pirate House on Flagler Beach. Ships wheel on top, the pirate next to front door has a cannon.

Daytona Beach

Saturday morning sunrise.

My best friend from High School that now lives in Jacksonville was telling me how great his recently acquired used Sentra was. The next day he was left on the side of the road with a dead battery and dead alternator. He managed to get it home by charging the battery and putting it back in the car. He had enough money to buy the part but could not afford the labor to have a shop put it in for him (not at all mechanically inclined). I looked up on youtube how to replace the alternator on his car, didn’t look to difficult so after I checked out of my hotel Saturday morning I went over to his place and got to work. Took about 2 hours, we were hindered by both of us having big hands needing to go in small spaces. He paid me in Pizza.

After that delay in leaving I began my trip home on the Interstate but eventually just took an exit and let the computer find a new way home.

Sunset over Nicholson GA

One of 2 dirt roads I ended up on near Madison GA

Old church on one of the dirt roads.

Someday I would like to travel cross country with no Interstates. I’ve seen a few posts about the TransAm trail that look interesting, not sure if I want to do cross country on all dirt roads though.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Awesome report.

I'm going to do something like that next time I head up to Asheville NC. Google maps will let you select "Avoid Freeways" and will route you on back roads. Seems like it will be a much more relaxing drive!

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Awesome little adventure you had!

When I travel to Galax, VA from Birmingham, I use the interstate most of the way, but instead of taking the express way through the mountains into town, i always choose to take the state park route which takes me over the mountains. Its like an hour or so longer, but is awesome!

And that church looks spooky!

·
Premium Member
2,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm going to do something like that next time I head up to Asheville NC. Google maps will let you select "Avoid Freeways" and will route you on back roads. Seems like it will be a much more relaxing drive!
I’ve used a routing program made by Garmin called nRoute for many years. It uses mapsource maps and interfaces with your GPS for your location. Unfortunately it does not work with Nuvi units, only older handheld style.

Works similar to a Nuvi you just get a much bigger screen and you can drag the maps around with your mouse to look for alternate routes. I have it set to not talk, just display the next turn. If you need to hear it though you can just push the space bar and it will announce the next turn and distance.

I like the slider bar that lets you chose more or less highways

1 - 7 of 7 Posts