Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2006 4wd Xterra
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there anyone living around Atlanta that'd be willing to help me? I have. 2006 4wd that I'm just about through with. I've put too much time and money in it and I'm not sure what else to do. It has a tranny with about 50k miles on it. Is that worth anything? I just really need someone to converse with about what to do with it. I'm in a bad spot. Thank you.

·
Registered
751 Posts
So what exactly is going on? You’ve made 2 threads one about a misfire and another about a bad fuel pump but neither have been updated with a resolution. Did you replace the fuel pump? Did you remedy your misfire? What exactly do you need to discuss? Everything has value but given the issues known I don’t see much more than $1-$2k in value for your X (although it’s unclear if you’re trying to sell or what).

If you still have a misfire, I’d start by gutting your cats, as much as I hate to advise this, at least then you won’t risk ruining your engine and can use your vehicle. Then you can begin to diagnose the misfire codes. There are a myriad of reasons for this. Spark plugs, coils, injectors, timing, etc.

The fuel sending unit is fairly self explanatory. But did you fix it yet? If so with what?

Money, clearly, is tight for you right now (and millions of other Americans). I’m not trying to be rude in stating this. If you need reliable transportation it may be time to cut your losses and find something cheap and reliable. There are a plethora of reliable vehicles under $5k on Craigslist as long as you’re willing to forego the 4x4 aspect to fill the immediate need (and even then I’ve seen some 4x4s for under $5k).

This forum is full of people willing to help but we need details and guidance here.

·
Registered
2006 4wd Xterra
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So what exactly is going on? You’ve made 2 threads one about a misfire and another about a bad fuel pump but neither have been updated with a resolution. Did you replace the fuel pump? Did you remedy your misfire? What exactly do you need to discuss? Everything has value but given the issues known I don’t see much more than $1-$2k in value for your X (although it’s unclear if you’re trying to sell or what).

If you still have a misfire, I’d start by gutting your cats, as much as I hate to advise this, at least then you won’t risk ruining your engine and can use your vehicle. Then you can begin to diagnose the misfire codes. There are a myriad of reasons for this. Spark plugs, coils, injectors, timing, etc.

The fuel sending unit is fairly self explanatory. But did you fix it yet? If so with what?

Money, clearly, is tight for you right now (and millions of other Americans). I’m not trying to be rude in stating this. If you need reliable transportation it may be time to cut your losses and find something cheap and reliable. There are a plethora of reliable vehicles under $5k on Craigslist as long as you’re willing to forego the 4x4 aspect to fill the immediate need (and even then I’ve seen some 4x4s for under $5k).

This forum is full of people willing to help but we need details and guidance here.
Hey thanks for responding. Long story short. The X started boggind down only on highway. Well it started get worse and worse till it quit one day. The fuel pump issue has been solved and those codes cleared but it's still driving at 20-25 mph. I can't seem to get it out of limo mode. Is that what limp mode is it is possible that the cats are completely clogged. The guy that put in the fuel pump said that he was getting some kind of read on his computer about the throttle body. I told him about my budget and he said to first spray out the tbs and if that doesn't work replace it. I'm about done and prob closer than ever to kicking it off a cliff. COUKD IT BE THE CATS TGAT ARE KEPPING IT FROM REACHING ANY SPEED? WHY WONT ANT MECHANIC ENTERTAIN THAT IDEA? MOST WONT EVEN LOOK AT THE CATS. WHY? CAN YOU NOT DIAGNOSE CATS without messing them up? SHOULF I JUST CUT EM OFF? HOW DO I DO THAT? OR CAN I JUST TAKE A HAMMER AND BEAT THE LIVING SHIT OUT OF THEM? THANK YOU

What's best way to go about selling it if I choose to go that route?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Yes when I had one side clogged it couldn't get over 30MPH

Misfires are a symptom of clogged exhaust.

free check is take the primary o2 sensors out. You will melt the inner fenders a bit though from the hot exhaust shooting out.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Another idea: drill peek hole after 1st cat; doubles as temporary exhaust relief that won't melt the inner fender. Will be loud till replaced or welded shut.

Don't drill too far or you may hit cat material (grey)

·
Registered
751 Posts
Yes clogged cats can absolutely limit speed. Based on the fact that you had a known misfire I think it’s a safe guess that’s a likely possibility.

As I said above I’d start by gutting them. Note I’m only suggesting this because money is tight and you are needing to get a vehicle running. When funds permit please replace them with functioning ones. Once you have a functioning vehicle you should address the misfire issue and then the CATs.

As for why mechanics aren’t willing to diagnose my guess is that they’re lazy, exhaust work is a PIA, and you’re being upfront about your limited budget.

There is also the possibility that your X is in limp mode which will require further diagnosis. Do you have a code reader? Can you pull all codes for us?

·
Registered
751 Posts
Another idea: drill peek hole after 1st cat; doubles as temporary exhaust relief that won't melt the inner fender. Will be loud till replaced or welded shut.

View attachment 133408

Don't drill too far or you may hit cat material (grey)
Don’t do this. This is won’t create enough back pressure relief to restore power and will only add to your repair list later. It’s also going to be dumping exhaust fumes pretty much directly into the cabin.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Oops ok. You can take the rear cats off with a basic socket set + cheater bar and visual from there really good. Just trying to help desperate Op since this Xterra seems to be hovering between junkyard and impound for several months with no fix.

Op has been told its the exhaust but didn't take it apart 3 months ago so throwing more ideas that may be more to his liking.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Oops ok. You can take the rear cats off with a basic socket set + cheater bar and visual from there really good. Just trying to help desperate Op since this Xterra seems to be hovering between junkyard and impound for several months with no fix.
Fair enough!

OP. You can see the primary catalyst easily once the secondaries are off as noted. I suspect they’re clogged or the secondaries are with pieces of the primaries.

OP if you want to proceed with selling, Craigslist and FB marketplace are best options. Disclose all known issues and price it accordingly, $1-2k. Also clean up the interior and exterior before taking pictures. It may have issues but a broken car presented well and as such will sell for more than one that is grungy and broken.

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
Hey thanks for responding. Long story short. The X started boggind down only on highway. Well it started get worse and worse till it quit one day. The fuel pump issue has been solved and those codes cleared but it's still driving at 20-25 mph. I can't seem to get it out of limo mode. Is that what limp mode is it is possible that the cats are completely clogged. The guy that put in the fuel pump said that he was getting some kind of read on his computer about the throttle body. I told him about my budget and he said to first spray out the tbs and if that doesn't work replace it. I'm about done and prob closer than ever to kicking it off a cliff. COUKD IT BE THE CATS TGAT ARE KEPPING IT FROM REACHING ANY SPEED? WHY WONT ANT MECHANIC ENTERTAIN THAT IDEA? MOST WONT EVEN LOOK AT THE CATS. WHY? CAN YOU NOT DIAGNOSE CATS without messing them up? SHOULF I JUST CUT EM OFF? HOW DO I DO THAT? OR CAN I JUST TAKE A HAMMER AND BEAT THE LIVING SHIT OUT OF THEM? THANK YOU

What's best way to go about selling it if I choose to go that route?
Since your in Atlanta - no salt - the cats should come off pretty easily with standard hand tools. THere all flanged. Pull the inner fenders, remove the heat shield, undo the bolts, undo the exhaust hangers - there are two - slide everything back and take both primary cats off full. Pull them off and have a look - shake them. they shouldn't rattlle. If anything falls out that is bad. Yes, your primary cats are likely plugged, which caused a misfire and put you in limp mode. That is the most likely scenario based on your description.

I wouldn't think about selling it. Its worth about 500 bucks in its current state to the right buyer maybe $1000.00.. I know money is tight, but at that point its all but worthless. Pull the cats, have a look, gut them if you need to, and go from there.

As for why the mechanics won't look - that's been answered. Mechanics these days are worthless, and they probably figure based on your budget that if they get them off they won't be able to fix it for you anyway - since they can't legally gut them for you - all they could do is take your money and tell you there plugged. New cats a the shop are expensive.

·
Registered
2006 4wd Xterra
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Is there anyone living around Atlanta that'd be willing to help me? I have. 2006 4wd that I'm just about through with. I've put too much time and money in it and I'm not sure what else to do. It has a tranny with about 50k miles on it. Is that worth anything? I just really need someone to converse with about what to do with it. I'm in a bad spot. Thank you.
Thanks for all the info and suggestions guys I really appreciate it. At this point I'm packing a couple bags and heading out of town in a couple days. I got nothing left for me here. I'm going to the edge of the world key west where I don't need a vehicle. Back to the restaurant business and back to the alcohol. Adios and good luck all.

·
Registered
2006 4wd Xterra
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Since your in Atlanta - no salt - the cats should come off pretty easily with standard hand tools. THere all flanged. Pull the inner fenders, remove the heat shield, undo the bolts, undo the exhaust hangers - there are two - slide everything back and take both primary cats off full. Pull them off and have a look - shake them. they shouldn't rattlle. If anything falls out that is bad. Yes, your primary cats are likely plugged, which caused a misfire and put you in limp mode. That is the most likely scenario based on your description.

I wouldn't think about selling it. Its worth about 500 bucks in its current state to the right buyer maybe $1000.00.. I know money is tight, but at that point its all but worthless. Pull the cats, have a look, gut them if you need to, and go from there.

As for why the mechanics won't look - that's been answered. Mechanics these days are worthless, and they probably figure based on your budget that if they get them off they won't be able to fix it for you anyway - since they can't legally gut them for you - all they could do is take your money and tell you there plugged. New cats a the shop are expensive.
So I've decided to part it out. Would you do me a favor and look at my new post about my tranny please?

·
Registered
2006 4wd Xterra
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Real mileage is unknown. It’s 60k on the rebuilt transmission and a whole slew of other problems. Fuel pump, misfire, and cat codes are just what we know.
160k on it. I'm not putting a new motor in it and I'm moving to a small island with no need for a vehicle

·
Registered
2006 4wd Xterra
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hell, I forgot to mention I had a third mechycome and look at it bc I was going to put a new throttle body in it but wanted a second opinion if the tb was in fact what it needed and he's the one that told me it's done and would need a new engine. He said it wouldn't really be worth the fix. Sonya, I put a lot of time and money in this for nothing. I'm in the red big time and now will have to wait months to get some money back from the parts.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Ah that sucks. Not the first time I've seen an Xterra turn into a money pit overnight.

Good luck with the part out sorry we couldn't get it working. If I lived nearby I'd come over and try a few things or beating it with a hammer. If you can get it to Tampa Rattray Auto Sales can make you an offer on it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts