Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
on line
10,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was talking with my claims adjuster while he was checking out the damage to my Mazda and he noticed my X. He suggested that I add all the mods as endorsements on my insurance policy. Have you guys done this?

From what I understand, it is a minimal increase in premiums and insurance will then cover all of the mods if you get in an accident and they are damaged.

·
on line
2,077 Posts
my insurance doesn't have much of an issue with mods, if they see they are on the truck and i can provide something that shows the value of them then they will cover it......they proved that many times over with my sister's old mustang.....she got three cobra r front bumpers (vandalism and two accidents) and very expensive paint repair (she had the whole car painted some custom black with crome-illusion flame).

we have all-state.

·
on line
12 Posts
My agent with Country insurance said that as long as I have the receipts that they will cover it.

That was after asking about bumpers, sliders, yakima rack and a few other things.

·
on line
1,792 Posts
I had the same response from my insurance, USAA. Keep the receipts, claim it, and we'll cover it. Given their track record, I believe them.

·
on line
10,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
For the record, I have the gecko. So, those of you that also have the little green lizard, if you want your stuff covered, i suggest you add it to your policy (as "endorsements". From what the adjuster told me, if they don't know about it, they are very unlikely to cover it. For an extra $100 (at most) per year, I'm going to give them an itemized list with receipts for EVERYTHING I've done to the truck. Granted, this may make some of you cry when you add it all up...

·
Super Moderator
2,600 Posts
XVTer said:
My insurance rep said that as long as it is bolted on my X and I have a recipt for it, it's covered. I've got Safety Insurance, since none of the large companies insure cars in MA.
Good to know; I have Safety Insurance as well. In fact, when I totaled my '02, and I told them I had aftermarket parts installed, they asked me to fax over the invoices so that they could factor those into the totaled price.

·
on line
47 Posts
XVTer said:
My insurance rep said that as long as it is bolted on my X and I have a recipt for it, it's covered. I've got Safety Insurance, since none of the large companies insure cars in MA.
I'm in Mass as well and our pickings are extremely slim. I used to have Liberty Mutual when I 1st started mods on the Bimmer and the wording in their policy if I remember correctly was "equipment permanently fastened in place". This was translated by my agent to me as be sure to fax them a picture and copy of the receipt to keep in my file. Also, they'd only cover an item that was bolted down, for example, he pointed out that my subs just sat in the trunk but if I constructed a bracket where the box can be screwed down I'd be fine. Also, my DVD player, GPS, & Sirius radio had to be hardwired & permanently attached (no suction cups). Ah.... the days when I had endless time on my hands, where'd it all go...

·
on line
20 Posts
In 1993, My heavily modified Jeep Wrangler was taken out by a drunk. I had some $14,000 in receipts and every possible piece of paper you could imagine. The ONLY item they found that was worth covering was the alarm. Everything else was written off as "replacement parts".

Even talked to a lawyer about it and he told me that it would likely cost more than it was worth to fight as the insurance company has a team of lawyers that will make sure to drag the case out and cost me a fortune.

Suing the other driver was also out of the question as he was a deadbeat.

Get anything you have an insurance company say in WRITING. And, if you make major changes, get an appraisal so that you have a 'true' value to insure. (your insurance will go up)

·
on line
3,218 Posts
From what the adjuster told me, if they don't know about it, they are very unlikely to cover it.
True. I hve the gecko too, and they gave me $0 for the over $12k in junk on the Gen1. Get everything in writing when dealing with any insurance company. Although in their defense, they handled the rest of my case very efficiently, I still use them..

·
on line
3,929 Posts
**raises dead thread**

so yes i know im bringing this from the dead but i think it's also a good refresher for newer members/people who might wanna do this.

whats the latest from you guys who talked to your companies about your "aftermarket parts/whatnot"?? IZVERG what'd USAA say? i'm gonna call them on my next break to inquire such info. :geek:

-- as i search further i found this thread, which i posted in(and forgot about, didnt have bumper/skids/shtuff back then), http://www.thenewx.org/forum/showthread.php?t=12431&highlight=usaa

·
on line
905 Posts
Just got off the phone with Geico. He told me that it was covered under my regular policy. He told me it would ge a good idea to keep reciepts and if something where to happen they would pay me what I paid for the item...rims, tires, bumpers...etc. Thanks for the post. I never really thought about it but as soon as I saw this I was on the phone.

·
on line
1,677 Posts
geico still doesn't really know about my mods. i tried switching to State Farm and they refused to cover my truck citing "it would be too much of a liability"...haha
This still surprises me. I have State Farm and Aaron is about to switch over from Farmers as his rates are way cheaper to go through State Farm. Technically they don't know about the mods as they have not seen them, but my rep knows that we offroad it and that we have modified it heavily. It's so popular out here they don't think twice.

I never asked about the mods being covered though, so I may bring it up when I call to ask how the transfer for Aaron is going.

·
on line
7,050 Posts
I have All State. They say as long as I have reciepts or photo evidence that certain equipment was on the truck, that it's covered with no issues. My agent has several hot rods/restos that they take to car shows, so she is well aware how good All State is with aftermarket stuff.
Posted via Mobile Device

1 - 20 of 55 Posts