Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So here is my ride, problems to follow the nissan dealer can't find the problem.

Basically Stock
124kish
clutch and flywheel done at 85k
manual
4x4
s

goodyear durtrac 275 w/meltmod

And now my problem-
Right before the first time this happened i topped my tank Remaining 4g 87 oct with 1 gal of 100 oct racing fuel 10% ethanol, rest of tank 93 non ethanol. i get better gas milage with the non eth (suprise) and the mile - $ ratio is actually cheaper. but most time is use 87 with e as that's whats closest. now the problem begins id say 1/4 of the tank used. Rpms drop to zero, no acceleration, power steering and brakes still work all dash lights flashing. radio is fine [misfire detecting shutting the engine down is what i thought]. i shift to neutral pull over and shut the car off immediately. I Sit for a minute and SOMETIMES its fine, other times it ides really rough if at all and doing the same thing with the dash/engine. in the last 2 weeks id say it has happened a dozen times becoming more frequent. and worse. when it happens it is taking longer to be able to restart it smoothly. cooling yea? now the best part- its not showing any code. nothing in the memory at all. my brother in law is a mechanic at a dealship and brought home his fancy snap on. it was hooked with the with rough start and pulled no codes. he says this is weird man take it to a Nissan dealership associated with his and tell them who i am. well i dropped it off at 9 am this morning and they called me back and said its fine they cant find anything. I said no there is a problem (i paid for the dio and your gonna find it!) had my brother in law called and say yes its the real deal find it. they called back and asked if they could keep it over night they are stumped. i myself cannot replicable it either which is frustrating because i like find the problem and fixing ir or having someone help me in my own garage so i can learn. but here are the things i can say are i notice ill omit what i didn't sorry :(

-happened going straight uphill med grade 40 mph, restart ok
-happened hard left from stop onto a steep grade
-happened hard right
-happened on highway 70 mphs, hard restart got out checked maf and flow, slight med grade
-55 mph straight, 40, 30 20....
-sometimes during if i shift to neural quick it will recover but not always, usually not
-AT DEALERSHIP :( i parked on the wrong side went in and was asked to move it to the service side, med grade downhill. second start fine

and now they cant find it. im not letting it go until i get an answer. they threw the old low coolant at me and i called his bs i checked it 2 days ago. oil is 1400 miles in and im good about changing it. so what do you guys think? i look on here for most my info and there are some very bright folks out there. i need some real help here from the experts. if you need more info i will provide any i can. THANKS!

·
Registered
206 Posts
Sounds like a Fuel Issue, something is wrong in the tank.

1: you stated it starts at 1/4 tank(is this all the time or just when it started the first time?)
2: Seems like anytime your make a HARD turn or on a hill it happens
3: No codes are being thrown(it wouldnt in case of a fuel issue).

If it didnt happen so much on hills or during turns I would say Bad ECU but it screams fuel issue to me. Could be the pump is going out or the pump housing has something wrong with it(acts as a reservoir to prevent starvation in turns and up hills with a low tank).

Easy way to check is put a pressure tester on the system and run the gauge into the cab and when it starts to go crazy check the pressure. A normal fairly steady pressure would mean its fine and I would go towards ECM and Electrical.

Educated guess just for years of working and modifying cars and trucks...no formal training at all but thats what I would look at...fuel.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Yes! This is what it looks like. I'm going to suggest they look at it. But that's what it looks like. Thank you. As for fuel/delivery I would suspect that the dino at the dealership would real time all that. but my thought process was similar

take a look at this link for youtube. is this what your truck is doing?
http://www.thenewx.org/forum/showthread.php?t=58327[/QUOTE]
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Been driving for several days now, no issues running great. The dealership Says they replaced the relay on the recall first, so it makes sense now they could not replicate the problem. I called and shared the info and they even gave me back the dino! Free fix on the dealer dime. Very happy. Thanks guys
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
sounds like an OK dealership since thy gave you your $$$ back for the dino. but on the other hand it sucks that they gave you the run around like that. regardless welcome to the forum

1 - 8 of 8 Posts