Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im big time into camping and adventure into the "wilderness" and open country around me... I may come across a gravel road and some mud here and there but I never get into large rocks and off camber situations often at all... I consider myself a overlander and not a rock crawler.. I feel "off" on this site like its not good enough that I have 265 75 16's....

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
I'm still running 265's and haven't had anyone point & laugh. Good group of folks here, lots of great info. :eek:ccasion5:

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
I think I am an overlander that likes to do some very rocky trails. I love he camping/cabining aspect off all these trips and I am also addicted to driving in the woods. I don't think it matters much until you build you truck out of street friendly driving. 33s with a titan swap is still pretty street friendly. Some say even more so. The only other difference I can think of is the overlander takes all their crap with them. I ran 32s on the trails for a about a year. I went down the same trails as a the other more built rigs. I banged my skid plates more. The whole things is pretty subjective.

·
on line
848 Posts
Started out doing rocks, etc. Now I just drive to 'interesting' places (which are usually in some damn remote places).

A stock X is great for this but I have a few 'upgrades'.

Good tires are the most important thing. I recommend LT (Light truck) tires.

Toy Man

·
Registered
3,012 Posts
265/75/16 are fine until you start pushing into harder terrain. If you haven't purchased sliders and skid plates yet spend your money there first. Then tires or a lift.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Im big time into camping and adventure into the "wilderness" and open country around me... I may come across a gravel road and some mud here and there but I never get into large rocks and off camber situations often at all... I consider myself a overlander and not a rock crawler.. I feel "off" on this site like its not good enough that I have 265 75 16's....
I bought my xterra for hanggliding roads, in the winter it goes skiing

i currently have snow tires from my old rodeo on it, 245/70/r16

http://www.thenewx.org/forum/showthread.php?t=48675&page=2

will put the stock tires back on as soon as i can, don't need the studded anymore me thinks

its to get me where i need to go, not for me to pound the **** out of unnecessarily

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Rock crawlin! Like the rush of pushing the vehicles limits.

I guess it depends what you definition of overlanding is. Some of the stuff they consider overlanding in Australia would fit right in with that picture. And that X will happily jump back on the highway.

I bought my xterra for hanggliding roads, in the winter it goes skiing

i currently have snow tires from my old rodeo on it, 245/70/r16

http://www.thenewx.org/forum/showthread.php?t=48675&page=2

will put the stock tires back on as soon as i can, don't need the studded anymore me thinks

its to get me where i need to go, not for me to pound the **** out of unnecessarily
I don't think this classifies as overlanding or rock crawling. :D

The X is pretty tough and likes to be ridden hard. It will happily get groceries too. ;)

·
Registered
308 Posts
I do a bit of both l. Its tough to be one and not the other in my neck of the woods. My X will never be as built as some on here but it will go most places. I would move to 33s though if I was you.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
661 Posts
I
I don't think this classifies as overlanding or rock crawling. :D

The X is pretty tough and likes to be ridden hard. It will happily get groceries too. ;)
The only times I've ever been on 2 wheels, I've had hanggliders on the roof, as few as 1, as many as 4.

·
Registered
2008 Xterra Off Road
1,708 Posts
Let me clarify my statement though.

In no way am I saying that ALL Xs should be T-swapped and bashed on like I do.

As long as you use it, your cool with me.

I dont however, agree with people who put 20s on em and a bunch of chrome. I just think there are better vehicles for that and it doesnt go with X's, Jeeps, and FJ's.

·
Registered
4,548 Posts
i prefer a little bit a both, the plan behind my build has always been something that can handle basically anything i throw at it and still drive it half way across the states. so i guess more overland ;)

·
Registered
3,165 Posts
If you have fun using your X it doesn't matter too much. The people who get flamed are the ones who build them up then don't take them off the pavement.
I've run Moab the last two years, and likely this year as well, on 265's and haven't had any issue because of tire size. My bumper hit a few things and I got my money's worth from my skids/sliders but an extra 1/4-1/2" of tire wasn't going to change that at all. Once you air down it's a negligable difference between 32's and 33's.

I enjoy some crawling but I also like camping and using it to get to the ski hill/ice climbing/backcountry camping etc. I like 21F's description: Overland Crawler.

Buuild it how you want, use it how you want and enjoy it.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Aside from sliders, my Pro-4x is bone stock. Aside from going to a different type of tire, I really don't feel like I need to do a lot of modding. It's performed very well thus far. If I lift it, I couldn't park in my garage at work anymore so that's out.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts