Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone! So my X is about to hit 220,000 miles and it’s due for an oil change. The previous owner took the x to a valvoline quick lube place and had its oil changes there. I am doing the oil change myself and I was wondering how good the Wix filters are for Xterras with over 200,000 miles. Thanks!
-Matthew

·
on line
180 Posts
Sorry, I've never tried the Wix filters. But I really like the [DistancePlus Oil Filter | Bosch Auto Parts]. I'm at 238,000 miles on the clock and change my oil and filter every 5,000 miles. The DistancePlus filter is a little pricey, but I watch Amazon for for reduced prices and usually pick up a few when the price drops below $10. Also, if you don't operate in dusty environments (i.e. you don't go offroad) then you could go for the [Premium Oil Filter | Bosch Auto Parts] option. If you watch Amazon, these can be had for under $4.

·
Registered
786 Posts
Wix makes a great filter. I’d run Wix on any of my vehicles. But I run O’Reilly’s store brand because they’re just rebranded Wix filters.

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
I use WIX currently. I have gone back and forth between wix and purolator over the years. There both great filters. I originally used the Nissan filters until they changed from Made in Japan to Made in Mexico.

I avoid the super long life filters because I have read in several places they can reduce oil flow (too much pleat material can be too much of a good thing, so the theory goes).

This is a good thread on oil filter tests if you have some time to kill The OFFICIAL Oil Filter Testing and Results Thread (4G63T/4B11T) - EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

·
Premium Member
762 Posts
Mobil one guy here :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
Click on link for a oil filter review.
Note, oil filter cost can affect the overall scoring for each filter.
For this reason I would overlook the cost rating and overall score.
Let's be honest, a couple dollars more is not likely to break the bank and not worth lowering a top filter into second place.

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
Click on link for a oil filter review.
Note, oil filter cost can affect the overall scoring for each filter.
For this reason I would overlook the cost rating and overall score.
Let's be honest, a couple dollars more is not likely to break the bank and not worth lowering a top filter into second place.
I have seen this test before - I think someone posted on BITOG. They pointed out that its good data but possibly too academic - as the only filters that get an A for the 30um size powder use a special coated media rather than cellulose - which restricts flow especially when cold or high RPM's - so the media doesn't help you if its being bypassed all the time to get the oil pump the volume its demanding. Not my area of expertise - but that is what they said.

Good raw data nonetheless.

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
Looking at the spreadsheet, I would be perfectly comfortable using a (alphabetical order) Amsoil, Bosch, Fram Extended Guard, K&N, Napa Pro Select, Purolator, Royal Purple or an upper grade Wix.

With this being said, my personal choice for my own Xterra is the Mobil 1 extended.

·
Registered
226 Posts
In my world, I figure I'm better off (both financially and I think mechanically) to buy cheap oil and filters and change them often (at least every 6000kms) I don't have proof of the mechanical side of things but premium filter and oil will cost me 3-4 times as much as my regular stuff.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts