Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there Peepuls. Recently i've been doing a lot of driving at 6 AM. sucks. But with that comes a lot of time to contemplate my headlights.

First off I've noticed that my headlights are maliciously misaimed. Like complete blindness on brights and dims to oncoming cars. People are constantly flashing me.

So I put the absolute brightest bulbs (non HID) in them as I possibly could (hey i'm getting flashed anyways) and i'll probably aim them sometime soon.

A while ago I got a free set of the roof lights and airdam off Steadyhigh's 2012 offroad in trade for my non lit airdam. Today I wired them up VIA relay to my Hi beam switch. Basically now I get my offroad lights when I hit the hibeam switch.

You guys think this is kosher or not? They say they're DOT approved... also i'm already casting more unaimed light than your standard nuclear bomb so would anyone really notice? also curious about the pattern of the offroad lights. flood? spot?

Lastly, what bulbs would you guys reccommend to make those lights as bloody bright as possible, in the interest of highway use?

·
Registered
6,919 Posts
The answer is typically no. In the US, many state laws expressly prohibit the use of lights above a certain height while on a highway. And they do say DOT approved, but doesn't Canada have a Ministry?

EDIT: Straight from BC law:

Off-road lamps

4.25 Despite section 4.04 (2) (c), a vehicle equipped with off-road lamps when on a highway must have the off-road lamps concealed with opaque covers.

[en. B.C. Reg. 476/98, s. 2.]
Source: http://www.bclaws.ca/Recon/document/ID/freeside/26_58_01

·
on line
22,508 Posts
I wouldn't wire to the high beams. In most places, including where I live, you can and WILL get popped by the po-po if they catch you using those on a public road. In fact, in most places even having them uncovered (even though they are not lit) can get you a ticket if the cop wants to be a d|ck.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
5,402 Posts
Again, same answers and TPO and Surf and Snow. Most US states have a height limit on lights(yes I know you are in Canada). Another rule we have down in Washington is you can only have 4 forward facing lights on at a time(fog and low, low and high in a 4 bulb system, not including parking lights) but the roof lights are technically too high.

I believe we are supposed to have ours covered but I typically don't during the winter months since I drive in the dark and turn them on from time to time. That and I flash people with them when they cut me off without a turn signal.

One thing to think about with your setup, what if you were to have the lenses on and you're high beams on? Might create more heat on that plastic then what is good for it.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I've actually been pulled over in Oregon for having "brights on" but it was just my normal lights. They do seem aimed high even though they've never been adjusted since the dealership. I wonder if it's just a weird misalignment from the factory? Which would help alot if I aim them down more because when I turn on the high beam to get the OF lamps going they are at the same aim point.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
I live down a fairly busy road with no street lights, and I get flashed a lot with low beams on. I think it also has a lot to do with their height. The X lights are pretty high even compared to a lot of trucks ?

·
Registered
96 Posts
Don't be afraid to adjust your lights, ours were way high. And before we put on timbrens if we carried anything in the back our lights got us flashed.
I'd love to leave my off road lights uncovered, but would get ticketed. Girl at work leaves hers uncovered, she has yet to get a ticket. But with the headlights she carries she'll probably get out of it anyway.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
huh I've never heard of this "illegal without covers" thing before. Seems a bit assinine to me but hey, that's the law. I don't even own the covers for the lights, so overheating the plastic won't happen haha!

Thanks for the info guys, Although there are like a hundred things on my truck that arent technically legal, I think I'm gonna try the lights for a while and see what comes of it. I know of a few guys around my area that run full lightbars on the road. maybe it would be back to the height of the lights... but yeah, 3 lightbars seems like it would garner them a ticket before two of my lights...

·
on line
4,434 Posts
If I recall, any offroad lights mounted above the level of the headlights must be covered at all times on public roads. I guess this is to prevent reflections off the light from blinding oncoming drivers. I have my off road lights mounted on my Shrock bumper....sometimes covered when there is a lot of bugs flying or rocks or mud, but mostly with clear protective covers on. They have 5W city lights constantly illuminated with my park lights, and I constantly drive with my fog lights on and I have never gotten even a second glance by a cop here, because they are lower than the headlights.

Also, all offroad lights should be wired so they can only turn on when the high beams are on. That is also code in many states, possibly the DOT too.

My past experience with roof mounted off road lights is too much glare and reflection off the hood, which seriously impacts my night vision and ruins the effectiveness of the lights.

I don't understand the OP's hesitancy to simply adjust the headlights to where they need to be. The OEM headlights are great! But every bulb has minor variations in the filaments that impact where the light 'kernel' is located within the reflector and thus all headlights have to be adjusted when you put new bulbs in them.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
on line
22,508 Posts
A lot of the headlight aim issue is in the fact that the rear leafs flatten so fast, and dropping the rear points the lights up. Light adjustment is part of normal vehicle maintence. I don't understand why people never do it or have it done for them, and instead complain.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
on line
2,243 Posts
A lot of the headlight aim issue is in the fact that the rear leafs flatten so fast, and dropping the rear points the lights up. Light adjustment is part of normal vehicle maintence. I don't understand why people never do it or have it done for them, and instead complain.
Posted via Mobile Device
Probably the best comment in the whole thread

·
Registered
897 Posts
I had 4x 100w spot beams on the roof of my old chev blazer. I had them on a separate switch, but used them as high beams. I increased the distance from another vehicle at which I would dim them versus stock highs. Never had any problems, never had covers on them etc. Although with the amount of lifted F-350's with blinding HID's around here I'm guessing the light laws are very laxly enforced.

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
Posted via Mobile Device
I don't agree with this. On my 2010, they have never been aimed correctly from day one and my leafs are still the same height as when I bought it back in 2010.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Banned
1,279 Posts
how do you not agree with that? you admit yours are out of alignment, yet you have done nothing to fix it, why not adjust them or go somewhere to have them adjusted? if you bought it new and they were not adjusted, maybe you should have gone back to the dealer because they didnt do it before delivery.

i have adjusted mine countless times because of new suspension parts, its not hard.

·
on line
2,263 Posts
In Oregon any off road light above your stock lights have to be covered when you are "on road"

If you have off road lights in line with the head lights like mine they can be uncovered and used but only if they are wired to turn on with high beams. If it is wired separate from high beams and you get caught using them you could get a citation for it.

If you go from a stock bulb to an aftermarket bulb (which usually has a different beam pattern) you lights will need to be re-positioned. FYI in Oregon it is illegal to flash people with your high beams if you think they have their highs on, so that is probably why 353xterra was stopped

1 - 20 of 28 Posts