Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The way they word the blisteins on their websites makes it sound that way. Could local shops still get the same stuff?

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
Trying to decipher your question...
Are you asking if NissTec or PRG are Bilsteins with tuning that is different than the regular Bilstein part numbers?

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Trying to decipher your question...
Are you asking if NissTec or PRG are Bilsteins with tuning that is different than the regular Bilstein part numbers?
Sorry. I mean like the longer ones they offer for lifts. I didn’t know if I had to order off there or if local shops would have access to those too.

·
Super Moderator
4,181 Posts
If you know the exact Bilstein part number you can order from any number of sources. However, both Nisstec and PRG are smart enough to use their own part numbers on their websites to protect against the very thing you are asking about.

You should order from businesses who support the Xterra community. If you don't, those companies won't be around in the future when you really need Xterra expertise.

·
Registered
258 Posts
If you know the exact Bilstein part number you can order from any number of sources. However, both Nisstec and PRG are smart enough to use their own part numbers on their websites to protect against the very thing you are asking about.

You should order from businesses who support the Xterra community. If you don't, those companies won't be around in the future when you really need Xterra expertise.
This. Particularly, since you’re so concerned about the aftermarket drying up on the X...

·
Registered
350 Posts
Usually when an aftermarket producer comes out with their own line of shocks, they use one of the big manufacturers that are easily and affordably able to mass produce a requested product. What makes them different is the valving in the shock itself, which is considered proprietary. As others have stated, aftermarket producers for our trucks are few and far between. Most of them support one or both of our big national events ( WENT and GONE Moab). even if you don't go to these events, take a look at the sponsor lists. Those lists are my go to when I am looking for parts.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)

definitely! I was just curious if those companies ever stopped carrying them for whatever reason
Usually when an aftermarket producer comes out with their own line of shocks, they use one of the big manufacturers that are easily and affordably able to mass produce a requested product. What makes them different is the valving in the shock itself, which is considered proprietary. As others have stated, aftermarket producers for our trucks are few and far between. Most of them support one or both of our big national events ( WENT and GONE Moab). even if you don't go to these events, take a look at the sponsor lists. Those lists are my go to when I am looking for parts.
Thank you!
thank you!!

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
I've heard this generalization. I've also read (not from an official source) that the PRG and Nisstec shocks are simply off the shelf 5100s that they've determined are the exact lengths to work well with various lifts (not too long or too short). Basically... they've just researched what works. You won't find those part numbers listed by any place as fitting Xterras (unless they happened to do what these companies have). But they say TECHNICALLY, you can buy these shocks if you knew what part number to ask for.
Then again, it wouldn't surprise me if they swapped bushings or something to fit the xterra since these aren't INTENDED for xterra from bilstein.

Mine are straight from Nisstec... confirmed excellent fit with no worry/doubt and came with the other nissan parts I needed in one shipment.

·
Registered
350 Posts
I've heard this generalization. I've also read (not from an official source) that the PRG and Nisstec shocks are simply off the shelf 5100s that they've determined are the exact lengths to work well with various lifts (not too long or too short). Basically... they've just researched what works. You won't find those part numbers listed by any place as fitting Xterras (unless they happened to do what these companies have). But they say TECHNICALLY, you can buy these shocks if you knew what part number to ask for.
Then again, it wouldn't surprise me if they swapped bushings or something to fit the xterra since these aren't INTENDED for xterra from bilstein.

Mine are straight from Nisstec... confirmed excellent fit with no worry/doubt and came with the other nissan parts I needed in one shipment.
5100's are listed with bilstein as B8 5100 series, and Radflo just lists their shocks by sizing. A little research will hook you right up. Bilstein does have a vehicle fitment menu on their site, Radflo does not( that I was able to find). The only "custom" shock I know of for us is the MK84's that Nisstec sells. Nisstec and PRG also ( like you said) change out the bushings so there is not the hassle of having to buy the right ones and take the ones that are in there out. Having said all that, I shop aftermarket parts based heavily on who supports our 2 national meets ( WENT and GONE Moab). I figure that the less hassle I have to go through to get good parts that work well for us is worth the premium they add on to keep themselves in buisiness.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts