Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
on line
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
According to my email correpsondance with ARB USA, it looks like we'll have an option for front bumpers in the fall. :cyclopsani:
Now don't get me wrong, as I've shrocked part of my X and love the quality, but choices are always welcome when it comes to spending money.

Edited Transscript of email:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Yes, we should have it in the fall. We’ll put you on our notify list.
Jim Jackson
President
ARB-USA
720 SW 34TH STREET
RENTON, WA 98057-4814
Tel: 425-264-1391
Fax: 425-264-1392
www.arbusa.com
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sent: Wednesday, May 16, 2007 12:19 PM
To: Front Desk
Subject: Enquiry from arbusa.com ...

Guys,
Just wondering if you are planning to manufacture a bumper for the 2005-2007 Nissan Xterra?

Thanks
Mike

·
on line
2,540 Posts
If you can, try to email them about once a month as a reminder so they don't push it back again. It was supposed to be put out this summer but it got pushed back so they could R&D one for the new tundra which just came out. I'm sure the reason is they will have more orders of the yota one but come on now, the 2nd gens have been around for a few years.

·
on line
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Will do. Didn't know if anyone else had been asking them about it.

·
on line
232 Posts
According to my friend that works there, the more emails you guys shoot to them, then the faster the fire will get lit.

·
on line
13,467 Posts
I wonder what the weight and price is going to be...........

One of the FJ guys on my TN trip had an arb bumper, and a winch comprable to mine. He told me the thing weighted 300lbs.....................I was like "no shit?!" Seems kinda heavy for such a small truck. Anyone have any data there?

·
on line
15,651 Posts
ARB's are usually lighter than Shrock. They use a lot thinner steel for most of the bumper with the thicker stuff being used in the actual support areas.

Having worked with an X terra that had one of the first convered ARB bumpers (converted from a Jeep bumper to fit an X), it is much lighter than my Shrock (it was a winch mod day, so we removed both bumpers, so it was easy to tell which was easier to lift).

Maybe they changed them though since this was a 6+ year old bumper.

·
on line
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
But does lighter really mean less strength? I know what the logical answer is - based on the mechanics and physics of steel, and 'bumping' into things, but the question really goes to design.

If a bumper weights less is it any less effective in preventing damage to the front end of a vehicle if the structural design is better? I'm not a mechanical engineer either, so I can't even judge based on that. I think the real test would be to take some truck out and run it into the wall with each bumper and see what happens. And it is surely going to be better than one of those 'damage multiplying' brush guards!

I havent' seen a Shrock bumper up close, but I have seen some ARB bumpers and they look stout as heck. Plus the overall design is a bit cleaner in my opinion. I'm not knocking Shrock for the protection it provides (I've seen y'all's pictures) but I like the lines on an ARB more...

eh - just thinking out loud. I want to see the design. If it catches my eye, I might go that direction. I not planning on driving into anything on purpose, so I suspect a minimal drop in collision protection would be ok.

·
on line
232 Posts
mcampana said:
I wonder what the weight and price is going to be...........

One of the FJ guys on my TN trip had an arb bumper, and a winch comprable to mine. He told me the thing weighted 300lbs.....................I was like "no shit?!" Seems kinda heavy for such a small truck. Anyone have any data there?
He is la la land...

Main Entry: la-la land
Pronunciation: 'lä-"lä-
Function: noun
Etymology: a euphoric dreamlike mental state detached from the harsher realities of life: found in most FJ owners who believe their vehicles RULE and are better than anything else on the road.

·
on line
15,651 Posts
speedy_parker said:
But does lighter really mean less strength? I know what the logical answer is - based on the mechanics and physics of steel, and 'bumping' into things, but the question really goes to design.

If a bumper weights less is it any less effective in preventing damage to the front end of a vehicle if the structural design is better? I'm not a mechanical engineer either, so I can't even judge based on that. I think the real test would be to take some truck out and run it into the wall with each bumper and see what happens. And it is surely going to be better than one of those 'damage multiplying' brush guards!

I havent' seen a Shrock bumper up close, but I have seen some ARB bumpers and they look stout as heck. Plus the overall design is a bit cleaner in my opinion. I'm not knocking Shrock for the protection it provides (I've seen y'all's pictures) but I like the lines on an ARB more...

eh - just thinking out loud. I want to see the design. If it catches my eye, I might go that direction. I not planning on driving into anything on purpose, so I suspect a minimal drop in collision protection would be ok.
Well, I have seen dented ARB's and I have seen ARB's flex enough to hit the fender (all on 1st generations).

I am sure the Shrock is stronger in just about every way, but that doesn't mean the ARB is weak.

A few things I kile about the Shrock over the ARB. Shackle attachment points. Shrock uses thick steel "T" shapped shackle tabs. These are inserted from the back and welded on both sides. You would have to rip the 3/16" steel that the bumper is made out of to ruin one of these tabs. ARB on the other hand uses thinner steel that is actually built into the bumper. I don't know if you would rip the tabs off, but I have seen them bend sideways.

On the ARB, I don't get the roller fairlead bracket on the front, what is it for?

·
on line
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
"la-la land..." :laughing4: :rofl: Good one...

Musikman - just goes to show that an up-close inspection usually leads to the obvious answer. I agree the tabbed thru-bumper approach would be better.

But flexing enough to hit the body?
What were you doing? :drunken: And are there pictures?

I'll need to see the new design before I decide. I'm not a serious off-road type, but I enjoy the dirt more than the pavement. I don't plan on using the bumper, but as a boy scout - I will be prepared.

Thanks for the input!!!

·
on line
15,651 Posts
Since it wasn't my X I don't have any pics, but a local club member has a nice dent in the front of his fender (next to the headlight) from where the bumper came up and hit. Not bad, but I was shocked the bumper flexed that much.

·
on line
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
hmmm... that sucks. All damage sucks...

Good info though. Thanks

·
on line
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
roses or daises?
blond, brunette or red-head?

Don't want to :pain10: about it as it's all a matter of taste anyway.

(I really wanted to say "some have it and some don't..." but I thought i'd leave it there...)
:evil2:
all in good clean fun.

·
on line
358 Posts
I think someone needs to paintshop an ARB onto an X.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts