·
on line
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From my contact with a Nissan dealer's service dept. in Houston:

4WD auto (presumeably C200) is 31 spline
4WD auto offroad (Presumeably M226) is 33 spline
4WD manual (presumeably M226 manual) is 35 spline

I am trying to get another verification from another dealers parts dept. . . and forget calling 1-800-Nissan1 and giving them your VIN# to find out (as some have suggested to me)

the number for Nissan should be 1-800-Go#-sand :angryfire:

so . . .

The ARB locker for the C200 31 spline (RD-106)should work! I just might buy one . . . :cheers:

·
on line
631 Posts
lifeinthesouth said:
sweet... if that works it'll be on my list!
x2! i hope it works!

·
on line
1,732 Posts
time for a :sign2: QUESTION my se model doesn't have a locker RIGHT??
But the off road model does !?!?! NOW
going back to 1 of my previous newbie questions the vdc UNLOCKS THE WHEELS so the limited slip doesnt work and all my wheels spin freely (((DOUGHNUTS)) So can someone pahleeeeez xplain to me in LAYMEN terms
What having a locker is good for AND what its not !! I assume doing hill climbs and in mud would be its strong point !!

·
on line
3,262 Posts
bigboyindiego said:
time for a :sign2: QUESTION my se model doesn't have a locker RIGHT??
But the off road model does !?!?! NOW
going back to 1 of my previous newbie questions the vdc UNLOCKS THE WHEELS so the limited slip doesnt work and all my wheels spin freely (((DOUGHNUTS)) So can someone pahleeeeez xplain to me in LAYMEN terms
What having a locker is good for AND what its not !! I assume doing hill climbs and in mud would be its strong point !!
Okay, you dont have a locker if you have an SE (so you are right). Now, a locker basically makes both wheels spin at the same speed. one wheel cannot spin without the other one spinning (hence the term 'locked'). A locker is great for mud, and for doing rock crawling.

Okay dnorton (doug right??) dude keep doing homework and let us know about the locker. it would make it alot easier on me to get this rather than buying 8th mans axle.

·
on line
4,495 Posts
bigboyindiego said:
going back to 1 of my previous newbie questions the vdc UNLOCKS THE WHEELS so the limited slip doesnt work and all my wheels spin freely (((DOUGHNUTS))
VDC does not unlock anything. VDC is a traction control device that limits throttle position and uses the brakes to control a wild movement of the truck. These vehicles do not have a true LSD in any of the axles, they do however have a braking system (ABLS) that will brake a wheel it senses that is spinning faster than another. Unless you have a locker in the rear, your truck has open axles on both sides.

Back to the topic at hand...
Odd to see two different spline counts on the M226. Figure Nissan would try to cost save and just use the same axle shafts. Hope you can confirm this one. 35 spline though...thats a beefy axle.

·
on line
4,495 Posts
Well apparently Nissan does use different axle shafts in the M226:

Open diff: 38164

Locked: 38164N (right hand)
38165N (left hand)

·
on line
1,792 Posts
And the OR edition only has a rear locker. I want one in the front too.

More on lockers and what they're good for. If one wheel is slipping and getting almost no traction, or none at all (say it's in the air on uneven ground) the other wheel will get no torque or almost no torque without a locker, even if it's on solid ground. All the available torque will go to the wheel without traction, the slipping wheel, while the wheel on solid ground gets none. It immobilizes the entire front or rear of the vehicle. A locker makes it so that even if one wheel is in the air, or on a muddy rock, the other wheel will get the same amount of torque and thus will hopefully be able to move the vehicle.

When for example you're ascending a low traction, steep hill with an uneven surface, tires take turns slipping and leaving the ground slightly. "Locked," especially front and rear, greatly increases your ability to negotiate these types of situations.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts