Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took the Off-Road Consulting 101 class at AOAA this weekend. Class was from 9-3 on Saturday. Peter was our instructor and guide. The class was great for this newbie! Here are the biggest takeaways in no specific order:
  1. The class taught me what my vehicle is capable of. Answer: A LOT!
  2. I learned several basics including but limited to using 4-Lo, using hill decent assist(amazing!), trail etiquette, choosing lines, negotiating obstacles(avoid, straddle, tire over), air intake importance for and how to handle water crossings, keeping sight of all vehicles in your group(I lost our tailgunntr once learning a valuable lesson) and more.
  3. I was able to do all of this SAFELY knowing I was being guided through trails that were up to my level and water that not too deep.
  4. Being able to ask Peter questions all along the way was great, too. He was very chill and knowledgeable. Kept it simple!

So was it worth $180(plus the AOAA daily fee)? For me, most definitely. If you already have experience and general knowledge, perhaps a 201 or 301 class would be beneficial.

The bonus was that I camped Saturday night and met a seasoned veteran friend from my neighborhood and we spent all day Sunday driving the trails. That was just a good an experience! It really solidified my knowledge and allowed me to put what I learned to the test without an instructor, but having a veteran to help me here and there. There was a spotter/navigator on board my friend’s rig, too. VERY valuable.

Oh, and radios! Super important not just for essential communication, but for Being throughout the day.

GREAT time and highly recommend Off-Road Consulting and AOAA

·
Registered
52 Posts
How far from stock does your X need to be in order to fully appreciate a class like this? I have only done some minor "comfort" things to mine. Heck, I don't even have it right now. My step-daughter has had it for a couple months.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
How far from stock does your X need to be in order to fully appreciate a class like this? I have only done some minor "comfort" things to mine. Heck, I don't even have it right now. My step-daughter has had it for a couple months.
I have the 2010 off-road version and I don’t have anything other than stock. The vehicle did great. Very impressed. The only thing I’d say you need for this is 4 LOW. a decent set of all terrain tires would be good, too. I just put in a new set of Iron Man All Country ATs I got for $90 a piece. Stock size, too(265/65/16, I think)

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Mine is a 2010 with 118K. There are some differences between the Off Road model and the S. I would not feel comfortable doing it without skid plates. Not sure if your model has them or not. I think no.

·
Registered
2008 Xterra S 4x4 AT
40 Posts
I took the same class at Rausch today. Beautiful park!

I’ll echo pjkaup’s comments. The X didn’t miss a beat. I wouldn’t say sliders are necessary- I don’t have them. They would give you more peace of mind, though.

The rear diff breather extension is required, though! The water crossing was at the top of my wheels.

Off Road Consulting was great. I’m thinking about the 201 class and some of their guided trail rides.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I took the same class at Rausch today. Beautiful park!

I’ll echo pjkaup’s comments. The X didn’t miss a beat. I wouldn’t say sliders are necessary- I don’t have them. They would give you more peace of mind, though.

The rear diff breather extension is required, though! The water crossing was at the top of my wheels.

Off Road Consulting was great. I’m thinking about the 201 class and some of their guided trail rides.

View attachment 129031
Great to hear of your experience, DesmosDromos. I plan to try out Rausch Creek next year.

As for the diff breather extension mod, this is the first time I am hearing of this. I checked out some resources on YouTube and it does look fairly simple and based on common sense, worthwhile!

·
Registered
09, lifted, 33's
209 Posts
Get it done... Mine sucked up very heavy rain on a road trip... Diff blew at 60k...just out of warranty timeframe. Boy I was pissed when I saw how easy the breather was. 2 k lesson. Getting mad just typing about it.

·
Premium Member
1,368 Posts
Very cool info for new 4x4 owners or those wanting to learn... there is no single source of info for all you need to know, and some mistakes are hard to learn on your own.

I learned my lesson a few days ago when my engine stopped working apparently on uphill, easy trail by most people's standard. The takeaway for me is that having gauges for transmission temp, coolant temp and coolant pressure would have helped to show me a problem is about to happen...... before it happened, because once the Nissan computer saw a problem, the solution was too light up Check Engine light and cut off the engine power. By letting the car cool off for 30 minutes, all was good. There is still no definite problem diagnosis, it hasn't happened again even though I climbed (not the same trail) since then, but my maintenance needing liquids are the suspect (transmission at the top of the list, 35k since my last change)

Other lessons like the above mentioned Breather extension can be a lot harder lessons. Or grinding your bottom or side of the doors by going places you shouldn't be going without more equipment that you have.

·
Registered
2012 Pro4x MT
42 Posts
I just took the 101 class at AOAA last weekend Off Road Consulting

Although I have quite a bit of experience and didn't learn anything new, I think it was worth it. It was good training/practice and increased my comfort levels (this was my first time offroading in a park); especially since I don't have any 4x4 buddies upstate NY.

I really want to take the 201 class and attend a some of their green (maybe blue) group rides.

Has anyone ridden the blue trails at AOAA or Rauch Creek?

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
I just took the 101 class at AOAA last weekend Off Road Consulting

Although I have quite a bit of experience and didn't learn anything new, I think it was worth it. It was good training/practice and increased my comfort levels (this was my first time offroading in a park); especially since I don't have any 4x4 buddies upstate NY.

I really want to take the 201 class and attend a some of their green (maybe blue) group rides.

Has anyone ridden the blue trails at AOAA or Rauch Creek?
Most of the blues at AOAA are purple or black for our rigs (meaning they can be pretty gnarly). Rausch has some easier blues, but some bordering on black for sure. Skids, sliders and a lax attitude for body damage is a must for either.

Sent from my SM-T727V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2012 Pro4x MT
42 Posts
Most of the blues at AOAA are purple or black for our rigs (meaning they can be pretty gnarly). Rausch has some easier blues, but some bordering on black for sure. Skids, sliders and a lax attitude for body damage is a must for either.

Although I have some minor body damage from a trail in Maine and some pinstripes, I'm certainly not lax about further body damage... I'll stick with green trails for the time being.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

I 100% agree with your assessment.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts