Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
on line
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My cousins (one has a full size 1980's short bed Chevy, one with a 1970's full size long bed Chevy, and the other has a Suzuki Samari... all jacked up a big tire'd) and I love 4 wheeling and mudding. However, we are forced to basically ride the roads looking for construction sights that have no "No Trespassing" signs or the like or just going ahead and trespassing to have our fun.

We all (mostly) live in Charles Town, WV. It's right on the very, very eastern tip of WV. Frederick, MD is about 20 miles away. Winchester, VA is about 20 miles away. And the PA line is about 30-40 miles away.

Is there anything out there?

·
on line
2,004 Posts
have your tried romping around your lawn???...

sorrry just had to say that

·
on line
15,651 Posts
There is no serious wheeling, but there are a few places.

George Washington National Park in VA has some OHV trails.

Greenridge State Forest in MD has some OHV trails.

There are a ton of old county roads in WV. I don't know any specifics, but pick up a topo map, drive around and find the ones that are not gated. Since these are township/county roads, if they are not gated or posted, they are most likely legal.

Please avoid constructions site (signs or not). This give wheeling a bad rep. I know it's hard to find good places to wheel, and here in Western PA we are loosing more and more places all the time.

·
on line
2,125 Posts
I know it's hard to find good places to wheel, and here in Western PA we are loosing more and more places all the time.
amen to that. it all started with hawkins hollow... still in disbelief at it closure, dispite all our efforts. Hakuna matata.

·
on line
15,651 Posts
Actually, Hawkin's Hollow is just the latest to be closed. There were a lot of places to wheel that have closed in the recent years.

·
on line
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've been riding around a lot in the last few days here in Jefferson County just looking for anything. The one road that we've been going down for a few weeks isn't marked private. It has a sign up at the one end that says "XXXXX Contruction Entrance". On Mapquest and even on my GPS it shows the road. It's marked as "Private Road". I found where the road comes out and went there this morning. It's a single lane, muddy road. On the other end (the one that I found this morning) there is a sign up that says "Private Road" but nothing saying keep out. Instinct tells me that "Private Road" doesn't mean "come on in!". BUT! The sign is like that of a road sign that would say "Washington Street". But why would a private road be on all of the maps?

Now here's a little more background. Back about 4 years ago in WV they upgraded everyone's address. Any road that was not 'officially named' they would allow the residents living on that road to name it. We have roads here named after people... some are named stuff like "Burning Rubber Road". Stupid stuff. It is very possible someone named this road "Private Rd" (which is what it says on the maps).

Anyway, around this part of WV there really isn't anything fun as far as legal mudding goes. This county is one of the more grown up of them. The back roads are even being developed and made pretty.

·
on line
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok. Now I'm really confused. I just found another online map that shows "Private Road" making a curve and not connecting to our 'construction road'. Our construction road is on the map and is named "Kennard Lane". Hmmm. I may call someone and try to find out what the deal is tomorrow.

·
on line
15,651 Posts
If the road is marked private, it's probably just that. There are a lot of roads that at one time was a public road, but the land was purchased and the road turned over to the land owner. I would stay out of any places that are marked, "Private", "No Trespassing", "keep out", etc.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts