Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

Anyone with wheel spacers

5K views 42 replies 9 participants last post by  xterrock 
#1 ·
Is anyone using wheel spacers on the factory wheels? If so, what diameter? I would like to buy a set but I do not want to have any problems with rubbing. I am on stock suspension( S model). Would you guys recommend a 1", 1 1/4", or 1.5" ?

#2 ·
I am considering using them. I found them at http://www.ezaccessory.com/ and a local machine shop that makes them for a local 4x4 shop can make em for me also.

To figure what you need, drop a weighted string from your fender lip, and then measure in to your wheel. A spacer that thick would mount it flush. Add or subtract accordingly to put it where you want it.

We use them all the time in the car field (ive built 2 cars and modded god knows how many more) to get the looks we want. Just make sure and use bolt ons. Ive seen too many slip ons cause lug failures.

#7 ·
TXterra37 said:
Umm, what would be the purpose of putting wheel spacers on your stock wheels?
Yeah, that was going to be my question. I'm running 3/4" spacers to make some 16x8 Pro Comp forged alloys fit, and while I have a quality product and have had no problems, it seems like if you can get by without them, then leave them off.

People who I ask, guys with decades of experience, differ on the question. Jim at Shrockworks for example told me no big deal, if they're quality and minimal size. But others say avoid them at all costs. Because of my set-up I felt I had to run them, but it was a lesser evil kind of decision for me. And I'm prepared to wear bearings a little faster, or whatever the potential consequences.

#9 ·
TXterra37 said:
I'm running ProComp 7089 Series 16X8 wheels and NO spacers.
Yeah, that's the way to go if you can find them. It's a long story why I didn't end up going that route. One thing is that when I got my wheels no one on the site knew the 7089s would fit (at least not to my knowledge) and someone who made them at Pro Comp told me, mistakenly it turns out, they wouldn't fit.

But I really like my forged alloys. And after a year of wheeling them fast and hard, no problems. I check the torque on the adapters all the time. And they fit like a glove. Still, I'd ditch 'em if I could, lol.

#22 ·
xterrock said:
I was wondering about the max spacer thickness before having to switch out the studs. Adapters I'm aware of. I want a slightly wider stance but not sure if spacers will give me what I want.
that is a very good question actually, I did not even think about that. I am more than likely going to go with a 1 or 1 1/4" spacer, I just want the wheels to be flush with the fenders, if not maybe sticking out like a 1/4" or so further out.

#25 ·
TXterra37 said:
penski61 said:
guys just a heads up , with out a lift more than likely you will rub , not for sure but just something to keep in mind
Yeah, and even w/ a lift they will rub! I have 2" of lift up front w/ the 33" BFG 's and I had to melt back the wheel-well.
With a 1" spacer and the stock wheels and tires I should not get any rubbing though right?

#26 ·
malakia12 said:
With a 1" spacer and the stock wheels and tires I should not get any rubbing though right?
Hard to see why you would. Maybe on the way to a complete stuff you'd be a bit closer to the wheel well...Are you running 265 70s, I assume? With 70s, I'd guess no chance of rubbing.

I can't remember hearing of anyone using this set-up before. Go for it, though, you seem set on it. Are you planning on cycling the suspension hard anyway?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.