Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

41 - 54 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Made some progress on my sleeping platform and will probably finish sometime this weekend.

Its about 10" in height and split into 3 sections. Rear section is about 32x34 houses 2 drawers. Both sliders are 100lb full extension so the grill will slide out with plenty of room to spare. the other drawer will house supplies and recovery gear.

There is a middle section about 5x43 that was made because the rear section would be too big as a 2 piece to stack in the rear, and the front section is a hallowed out and about 32x43.

I needed the middle section because it is built to be stacked upon each other in the rear and allowing the rear seats to be used and expands to three sections when sleeping with storage access from the passenger doors into the front section compartment.

as we use the grill more, ill find out what works best for materials and setup. I may put down some thin tile under the grill section so oil and grease are not an issue. Im sure ill learn some lessons along the way.
This is really cool! Do you have any pics of the three sections laid out in the X by chance? Does this let you lay flat onto the the folded down front seat?

I've been considering building a sleeping platform for my X, but I hate to give up the easy access to the under floor storage in the back. I'm also thinking about roof top tents but that's a whole other level of investment.

For now I've just been going with a double air mattress in the back, which is easy and comfy enough for a night or two.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Sleeping In The Back of The Xterra - PBR

I'm 6'0 and plenty comfy.

Heres my current set up with the 8-Gal Atcion Packers and Mobile one 6-packs to illustrate, but a Coleman 6L cooler is also a perfect flat fit:

I did a 10,000 mi 8 week offroad/on road trip all the way across the US and Canada, basically living in the X (link in my signature) I bought THIS queen size memory foam mattress topper for $75 on Amazon and I cut it to the perfect shape for the Xterra. I then bought THIS futon mattress cover for $38 on Amazon to put the mattress in so its clean and comfy. I swear it is more comfortable then my own bed is! Love it! The rack allows storage above your feet for gear, so it can be in the X while you sleep, and you still have room. More info in my build thread (also a link in my sig).

I've been looking for the "Coleman 6l cooler" you mentioned. I'm in the US and coolers are measured in quarts, so I'm assuming you're in Canada. Do you have more info on what cooler it is?

·
Registered
116 Posts
I've been looking for the "Coleman 6l cooler" you mentioned. I'm in the US and coolers are measured in quarts, so I'm assuming you're in Canada. Do you have more info on what cooler it is?
I imagine "6l" is a model or it was a typo. A 6 liter cooler would be tiny, like lunchpail sized (6.3q). I think that's the size of the soup pot I take camping. Small enough to fit but not big enough to be helpful in the sleeping setup.

I roll 2 of these: Coleman 28 qt. Xtreme Cooler 3000005896 - The Home Depot.
One for food that stays closed and one for dranks. They are incredible for the money but about 2 inches too tall for this application and the seat has to be a couple inches too forward for driving. based on mine I'd say 15-22 quarts would be the range that would have a good fit in there.

Edit: now that I've had more coffee it's pretty obvious he does not drive with those packers on the floor like that, so a cooler in the 24-30 quart range would work if it wasn't the constant setup. They just need to be shorter. The ones I linked are designed to be sitting height.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I imagine "6l" is a model or it was a typo. A 6 liter cooler would be tiny, like lunchpail sized (6.3q). I think that's the size of the soup pot I take camping. Small enough to fit but not big enough to be helpful in the sleeping setup.

I roll 2 of these: Coleman 28 qt. Xtreme Cooler 3000005896 - The Home Depot.
One for food that stays closed and one for dranks. They are incredible for the money but about 2 inches too tall for this application and the seat has to be a couple inches too forward for driving. based on mine I'd say 15-22 quarts would be the range that would have a good fit in there.
I'd thought the small cooler took the place of the mobil 1 oil boxes, lunch box size would be right. Technically Surf and Snow said it was a flat fit, not that it filled the whole space like the mobil 1 boxes.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I'd thought the small cooler took the place of the mobil 1 oil boxes, lunch box size would be right. Technically Surf and Snow said it was a flat fit, not that it filled the whole space like the mobil 1 boxes.
Sorry, totally misunderstood that. I also didn't connect the dots that the mattress covers any gaps where I customarily lose my hat and pillow and whatnot. I have my tools under my head behind the seat and a small rigid tote from the container store on the hump, I guess that sucker's around 2 gallons. No more forum replies for me before noon.

·
Registered
39 Posts
To Mod: thanks.

Just another setup.

I removed the rear seat bottoms, as I almost never have a passenger in the back. I did buy a couple of Action Packers, as recommended on here. I tried various coolers, and other items, but could not find something to fit behind the center console, flush with the folded rear seat. So, I had a piece of 1" plywood cut at Home Depot, and then stapled some outdoor carpet to it.

Here are the basics, stored behind the rear seats. There is room for more, when I am planning a trip (the down sleeping bag isn't in there at the moment). Beneath the mattress is a chair and the plywood piece.

The foam mattress is a tri-fold that I bought from Amazon. I didn't need a wider matress, so I have room on the side for a cooler and such, when in use. BTW, if I need to "deploy" the potty, I have a popup shower tent stored behind the driver's seat, for private business (and even showers).

The plywood, in place. I could have cut it, to fit around the console, up to the rear of the front seat, but this wasn't necessary, as the matress fits fine as-is. I also could have made a thin, wedge-shaped box, to equal the height of the console, but that wouldn't store as well, and again, wasn't necessary.

The mattress in place, with small pillow. The mattress is 3" thick, and very comfortable. I keep a sheet safety-pinned to it at all times, even when stored. Yes, there is a slight incline on the right side of the mattress, due to the center console, but it isn't enough to notice while sleeping.

Full view. As you can see, the mattress is just long enough for me (6', 1"), but short enough to close the tailgate. You could actually fit a slightly longer mattress, if needed. There is lots of room on the driver's side for cooler, etc. I normally take down the rollup cover, but didn't for this shot.

Nothing fancy, but it works for me, and is simple. If I need to sleep two, then she'll just have to get cozy with me, or sleep with the bears :)

When sleeping in the Xterra, I have slip-on insect screens over the back windows, for ventilation. I also throw a blackout curtain over the front seats. Later, I'll probably do curtains all the way around, as someone here has shown. I may also do some type of cargo net or rack at the back, and not use the rollup cover.

I didnt' go with a raised platform, even though that provides lots of storage. I want the extra headroom, so I don't feel like I'm sleeping in a coffin.

I recently bought an ICECO 12V/120V fridge/freezer that I intend on using in the Xterra. At the moment, I have it stocked with extra frozen food, at home. My household fridge doesn't have a large freezer compartment, and with the crazy runs on supplies lately, I thought it would be a good idea to have more food at home than normal.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Here’s my setup. It’s two 2” memory foam mattress toppers cut to fit the floor of the X. I also made magnetic screens to cover the windows.

Can you share any details about the screens? I’ve been thinking of rigging something similar with velcro but yours seems way better.

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
i need to get to making some magnetic window screens. ive been lazy and just use a big bug net that is designed to go over a hammock. its big enough that i can just drape it over the top of the truck and it goes down each rear side door and does a good enough job of keeping the bugs out. sometimes i have to kinda mess with it to get it to seal up well.

so yeah.. pretty pointless post really. thanks for reading.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Can you share any details about the screens? I’ve been thinking of rigging something similar with velcro but yours seems way better.
You’ll need to know how to sew to make them. To start you’ll need to take the roll of screen and hold it in place over the window using magnets. Then cut the screen with about 2” of overlap around the window. Then you’ll glue (I just used hot glue) some neodymium magnets in strategic places. I also glued regular strip magnets into place around the entire border. Then I edged the border of the screens in some stop rip nylon and stitched them in place. They’ve worked great every time I’ve used them. I like the idea of adding a sun shade to my set up as well.

Old army has a nice how-to for more details.

·
Registered
116 Posts
You’ll need to know how to sew to make them. To start you’ll need to take the roll of screen and hold it in place over the window using magnets. Then cut the screen with about 2” of overlap around the window. Then you’ll glue (I just used hot glue) some neodymium magnets in strategic places. I also glued regular strip magnets into place around the entire border. Then I edged the border of the screens in some stop rip nylon and stitched them in place. They’ve worked great every time I’ve used them. I like the idea of adding a sun shade to my set up as well.

Old army has a nice how-to for more details.
Thanks! Yeah I mainly wondered if you were using strips which tend to be wimpy grabbing or smaller strong magnets. The sewn hem is a good idea. I was sort of thinking about sewing or gluing the screen into a bag that just sleeves over the door but then you’re looking at sealing off the bottom of the outside with magnets anyway.

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
ive been planning to just use screen, a magnetic strip and glue.

just gotta get the first two items.

while the sewn hmw is nice, i dont see it being necessary, but what do i know!

·
Registered
434 Posts
ive been planning to just use screen, a magnetic strip and glue.

just gotta get the first two items.

while the sewn hmw is nice, i dont see it being necessary, but what do i know!
You can get by without it. The glue I was using just wasn’t the best to hold it. A better glue would remedy that.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Thanks! Yeah I mainly wondered if you were using strips which tend to be wimpy grabbing or smaller strong magnets. The sewn hem is a good idea. I was sort of thinking about sewing or gluing the screen into a bag that just sleeves over the door but then you’re looking at sealing off the bottom of the outside with magnets anyway.
If you want sleeves that slip over the door, no need to sew. Look at these: Amazon.com: XL/Car Windows Sun Shades for SUVs Windows up to 21-22in x 46-50in. Mesh Shade Socks for Baby. Car Window Screens for Camping. Covers Fully (2-Pack): Baby

I bought a similar version last year. They work great. When pulled down low enough, they seem to seal well enough at the bottom to keep the bugs out.

Eventually, they may wear from the door closing on them, but for the price, I'll just buy another set.

41 - 54 of 54 Posts