Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

21 - 40 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
711 Posts
Great thread. I'm going to be sleeping in the X this winter, and since I've only done that in my old Xterra, this will be a new learning curve. I'm thinking window shield/visor things may be good to let air in so we don't have condensation build up over night.

·
Registered
5,038 Posts
Yes it is a good idea to have a way to vent some. If it is going to be very cold in your area, insulate under you more than you think you need to. I don't think the Xterra is too bad when it comes to sucking the cold out of your body with the folded seats and storage compartment underneath.

My old 4runner was carpet on top of the metal body and in very cold weather while sleeping, it would leach the warmth out of you. I found insulating more under me than over, resulted in warm comfortable nights.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Great thread. I'm going to be sleeping in the X this winter, and since I've only done that in my old Xterra, this will be a new learning curve. I'm thinking window shield/visor things may be good to let air in so we don't have condensation build up over night.
I have window visors and in my experience sleeping in the X in freezing temperatures, you need to open the windows quite a bit to avoid a condensation buildup in the vehicle. Still, the visors help keep dew out, and well I really like having them period.

·
Registered
628 Posts
...and in my experience sleeping in the X in freezing temperatures, you need to open the windows quite a bit to avoid a condensation buildup in the vehicle.
I was sleeping in my X once up on the north coast of California and woke up bright and early to do a morning hike in Fern Canyon. Looked out my window and the area was packed in fog and thought "well darn, this is going to screw up my hike."

10 minutes later I realized it was just the condensation on the windows. Clear and blue outside, not a cloud in the sky.

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
I was sleeping in my X once up on the north coast of California and woke up bright and early to do a morning hike in Fern Canyon. Looked out my window and the area was packed in fog and thought "well darn, this is going to screw up my hike."

10 minutes later I realized it was just the condensation on the windows. Clear and blue outside, not a cloud in the sky.

LOL that's pretty funny! Good thing you didn't throw away the whole day and went back to sleep.. that would have sucked. :sleepy2::idea1:

·
Registered
179 Posts
Since were on the subject of winter camping, I'm thinking about heading up to central Idaho (Stanley) where its known to get down around 5 degrees at night and I'm wondering how well I'll need to insulate versus a fall/spring camp with a 20 degree bag. Do you guys think a 20 degree bag in the back of the X on a sleeping pad will be enough with the windows cracked?

·
Registered
4,309 Posts
No. The temp in the X will drop down to whatever it is outside, especially with the windows cracked. I have a 30° bag and it dropped down to about 35° and it was frigid.

·
Registered
450 Posts
No. The temp in the X will drop down to whatever it is outside, especially with the windows cracked. I have a 30° bag and it dropped down to about 35° and it was frigid.
Also to add to that, the temperature rating on the sleeping bag isn't necessarily the rating it's comfortable at, just what's deemed "survivable". I'd want at least something rated down below zero camping in weather like that. If you're going to be sleeping in the back of your vehicle, I'd also look at a down filled bag that will shed water much faster than synthetic insulation will if you start picking up condensation inside.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Do you guys think a 20 degree bag in the back of the X on a sleeping pad will be enough with the windows cracked?
No. Everyone sleeps differently but I'd say take the anticipated outside temperature and subtract 10-20 degrees. That's the rating for your bag.

Or get a propane catalytic heater. The 1-pound propane bottle fits nicely in the cupholder and you'll be toasty all night long. Crack the window - there'll be tons of condensation.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Is that safe to operate a propane heater in an enclosed environment like that? I would crack a window for sure to let CO out and O2 in.
I ran one in a tent quite a bit when it got cold, but then again, it allowed more air in than a car would, even with the windows cracked... and yes, I did leave a window open in my tent.

·
Registered
5,038 Posts
Catalytic heaters do not produce co2 but they do consume oxygen. Mine recommends a 4inch by 4inch ventilation opening

·
Registered
628 Posts
Anyone have a link to the "Coleman 6L cooler" that's mentioned as a perfect fit between the action packers?
I'm not sure which 6L cooler he was talking about, but somewhere else on here I saw that someone used this Coleman 9qt cooler:

https://www.amazon.com/Coleman-9-Quart-Excursion-Cooler/dp/B000G64I4C/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&tag=phovid-20&qid=1471278179&sr=8-1&keywords=coleman+9qt+excursion+cooler

I bought it and while it does fit it is a bit tight. I get a little bit of scuffing on the rear drink holder/console. Sliding a piece of paper between the two prevents that.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Made some progress on my sleeping platform and will probably finish sometime this weekend.

Its about 10" in height and split into 3 sections. Rear section is about 32x34 houses 2 drawers. Both sliders are 100lb full extension so the grill will slide out with plenty of room to spare. the other drawer will house supplies and recovery gear.

There is a middle section about 5x43 that was made because the rear section would be too big as a 2 piece to stack in the rear, and the front section is a hallowed out and about 32x43.

I needed the middle section because it is built to be stacked upon each other in the rear and allowing the rear seats to be used and expands to three sections when sleeping with storage access from the passenger doors into the front section compartment.

as we use the grill more, ill find out what works best for materials and setup. I may put down some thin tile under the grill section so oil and grease are not an issue. Im sure ill learn some lessons along the way.

21 - 40 of 54 Posts