Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought I saw someone on the boar running spare tire steelies on their rig as primary wheels. Am I correct? If so are there any pics? I have a 05 X with those god awful "X" alloys. Looking for something different than Pro Comps 7089s, or MB wheels.

·
on line
10,980 Posts
I ran the spare steel wheels (black, 18-hole ones ... not the X model ones) for a while as my primaries, but the factory finish on them is not spectacular and was dull after a few months of exposure ... and getting a *bit* of surface rust after 18-months or so. When I got new tires, I went back to the OEM 6-spoke alloys.

This is right after I had gotten them installed:

... I do still like the look, but would advise getting a better powder-coat put on (or doing a really good job of primer and paint, if you're doing it yourself) if you intend to run them as primary wheels for some time.

·
on line
10,980 Posts
Definitely a more than worthy option, I guess I had in mind something that would be able to replicate the "satin" look that the factory finish has.

·
on line
10,980 Posts
From a damage perspective? Or from the sense that it's more exposed to the elements?

The center caps on stock alloy wheels do give some additional shielding from exposure to road salt/grime/etc ... but they're not going to prevent a rock from getting in there and giving the threads/nut a good whack.

I'm not sure if I've seen it done or not, but I bet one could make a set of the X/Base model steel wheel center caps work on the spare wheels, as well ... if you wanted the added peace of mind there. Or, I bet there's a generic rubber cap out there somewhere, that could be pressed on to cover up the nut and exposed threads.

·
on line
10,980 Posts
Ghost has the "X" model steel wheels ... but I like the look of the "spare" steelies with the silver plastic centers. Kind-of a unique look there. :thumbleft:

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Interesting chat with the tire tech at Costco today. I bought some Load E BFG KO2 AT (265/75/16) tires and installed them onto my freshly powder coated spare tire steelies. (running my winter tires on my alloys this time around) The tech was dismayed that I was mounting high-pressure truck tires on passenger car wheels. I told him that the wheels were as supplied by Nissan for my Load E geolander winters (as shown in earlier pics in this thread). I told him I didn't think it was going to be a problem, based on what I've seen on the forum. Anyone else ever hear of a concern like that?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts