1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
on line
615 Posts

·
on line
5,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks man, I think you are correct. I'm thinking SAS front, SOA rear. I wonder if rs182 has resolved his vibration issue with his SOA. My project will probably start this June. My initial plan is that I will use complete (diffs, cals, rotors, hubs) F/R axles from a Disco II.

·
on line
1,208 Posts
I cant wait to watch your thread and see the pictures. Using the LR FR axle is a nice idea. :thumbleft:

·
on line
145 Posts
Did LR change the diffs and axles for the SII Disco?

My experience of the Rover diffs is that they're pretty weak. I've had three break on me and one was broken by the awesome power of the 2.25 4 cyl LR motor. I can just imagine what a VQ40 would do to them.
I'd love another LR but parts are expensive and not so easy to get here unlike New Zealand.
I would suggest TLC axles but either way it will be an awesome project.

·
on line
1,208 Posts
You should use Portal axles. Thats what im going to look at trying once i want to chop up my truck. :)

·
on line
5,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
brutus_skx said:
You should use Portal axles.
I'd LOVE to - Only thing the last time I checked the couple of brothers that were importing them were charging 3K an axle. Lots of mulah and no parts available. The gear reduction would be awesome for crawlin' but not so great actually driving somewhere.

·
on line
1,114 Posts
The 36" IROK's and the 37" SSR's are both 36.8" in diameter.

Here's a flex shot of Jordan's IROK's at full rear articulation:

Here's a trail shot of the SSR's "almost" tucked:

Even SAS'd and SOA'd, these tires are about as big as you can go and still fit in an Xterra's unmodified wheel well at full tilt.

·
on line
5,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
8th Man said:
The 36" IROK's and the 37" SSR's are both 36.8" in diameter.

Here's a flex shot of Jordan's IROK's at full rear articulation:

-- img snipped for brevity --

Here's a trail shot of the SSR's "almost" tucked:

-- img snipped for brevity --

Even SAS'd and SOA'd, these tires are about as big as you can go and still fit in an Xterra's unmodified wheel well at full tilt.
I believe you are correct sir. With a SW bumper you can get a bigger tire in the front wheel well, seems at issue is the rear. This Photoshopped comp is to scale -->
and even to clear this size (39") you'd need a 12" lift (est.)

·
on line
1,695 Posts
How do you plan to overcome the offset rear diff on the Disco? You are gonna have some major vibration issues with a centered t-case output. Why not start with a set of axles with tons of aftermarket support, ala D44, D60, Ford 9", etc?

·
on line
5,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
RockyMtnX said:
How do you plan to overcome the offset rear diff on the Disco? You are gonna have some major vibration issues with a centered t-case output. Why not start with a set of axles with tons of aftermarket support, ala D44, D60, Ford 9", etc?
Yes, my recent research on the disco axles have revealed that they have bearing issues which has put the kibosh on that idea.

·
on line
1,114 Posts
That would cover all the time zones:

8th Man - East Coast Time
BoonDox - Central Time
Ponyboy - Mountain Time
? - West Coast Time

:cheers:

·
on line
1,231 Posts
Damn...those SAS'd rigs look SICK!

Hey 8th Man, where is Fredericksburg? In PA? I'd like to come by and drool over your truck for a bit. :D

1 - 20 of 32 Posts