Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
848 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking about getting involved in the COLORADO Turkey Hunts. A Benelli SBE II is on my horizon, and I'd like to take the X to turkey hunting grounds that others can't get to if it's worth it.

Problem is...I know nothing about hunting a turkey. Damn, I love to eat them, but I'd like to harvest my own. Is anyone in CO a turkey hunter?

·
on line
1,449 Posts
My old boss in Monument is a HUGE Turkey hunter. Goes twice a year. They hunt in the area of Lake Isabel and the Wet Mountains. Might be a starting point for ya.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Do a little scouting/door-knocking in Yuma County. Lots of farmers out that way that are sick to death of gobblers getting into their crops.

I see turkeys around Yuma & Wray when I go out for pheasant.

I drew a tag for turkey last year, had every intention of trying to shoot one, and accidentally filled the tag when a young male flew into my bumper about 5 minutes from the house.

He went in the fridge and I got a new grille. Tag filled!

·
Registered
848 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Winning!!!

I have wanted to get into "bird hunting" in general (correct me if I'm wrong). I may have to pick your brain sometime and figure out where I should start.

I'm starting from scratch too. I went down to Walmart and picked up one of the DOW Turkey brochures which outlines the rules and regulations. I haven't read all of it yet, but it's got good info. I also started perusing the DOW web site, and they have a "Turkey School" for beginners.

http://wildlife.state.co.us/Hunting/Turkey/Pages/turkey.aspx

It looks like the first step is passing the hunter's safety class. Then you can begin applying for a licence.Chris, I'm thinking we can take your "wheel and weild" to the next level :)

·
Registered
848 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm in as well, my next door neighbor is big into bird hunting, so he could be a great resource for us. Our family has some property in Southern Colorado that we recently purchased and there's lots of wild Turkeys down there..
Bill, this would be just awesome!!!!

·
Registered
277 Posts
I'm thinking about getting involved in the COLORADO Turkey Hunts. A Benelli SBE II is on my horizon, and I'd like to take the X to turkey hunting grounds that others can't get to if it's worth it.

Problem is...I know nothing about hunting a turkey. Damn, I love to eat them, but I'd like to harvest my own. Is anyone in CO a turkey hunter?
You cant go wrong with a Benelli, I love my Nova. Haven't had a chance to do any hunting since we moved out here, but I would love to hunt some turkey as well!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts