Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 111 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a 2013 Xterra I bought in September. The Pro-4x automatically gets a touchsceen/navigation upgrade for 13/14's. I've had some intermittent issues with the stereo/touchscreen. A few months ago I was getting on it a bit messing around with my buddy and his Dodge 2500 Cummins. All of the sudden the sound just completely stops working on all sources. When I tried cd I could still see that it was playing via the track time counter. After I got back I shut the truck off and turned it back on, everything worked fine. Then a few weeks ago I take my truck out to get some lunch and the radio station designation and cd song time and description wouldn't show up. Shut the truck off and back on, still wouldn't show up. Came out after work that night to leave and everything was fine. I was wondering if anyone else had any problems similar to this with their 13/14 Pro-4x RF stereo? I realize 13 is the first year for the new head unit design in the Xterra's/Frontiers/Titans/Armada's and there will be some glitches but this has me kind of worried. Thanks for any input!
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
I've had the no sound problem once a couple of months ago. Everything was fine when I shut it off to go into Lowe's, when I came out it was like you said - no sound from any source but songs appeared to be playing according to the screen. I had to disconnect/reconnect the battery to clear it up.

And the other day I had another problem, no power to the entire unit. Turning the ignition off and on again didn't fix it. Tried it again several hours later and it worked normally. I would think that disconnecting the battery would have fixed it immediately, but I had an appt and took my other car.

Not sure what is going on, but I'm not going to worry until it happens more than twice in six months.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've had the no sound problem once a couple of months ago. Everything was fine when I shut it off to go into Lowe's, when I came out it was like you said - no sound from any source but songs appeared to be playing according to the screen. I had to disconnect/reconnect the battery to clear it up.

And the other day I had another problem, no power to the entire unit. Turning the ignition off and on again didn't fix it. Tried it again several hours later and it worked normally. I would think that disconnecting the battery would have fixed it immediately, but I had an appt and took my other car.

Not sure what is going on, but I'm not going to worry until it happens more than twice in six months.
Thanks Labbie. Yeah I'm not going to worry about it to much either since it's only happened twice in almost a year. I'm not sure if it's good to know I'm not the only one or if it makes it worse lol. What year is yours and is it M/T or A/T? Mine is a M/T, not sure if it might have something to so with shift shock while driving briskly, at least with the first time it happened to me anyway.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
I bought a 2014 Pro in May and while at the dealership I was waiting on them to finish detailing. Once they brought it out front I went to get in to leave and no sound from the stereo, it was working fine during the test drive. They had 3 Nissan techs looking at it and after a hour they could not find the problem, they reset everything(basically unplugged the battery) and it started to work again. Since I have not had any issues and I am at 3600 miles. Looks like maybe a bug in their system.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I bought a 2014 Pro in May and while at the dealership I was waiting on them to finish detailing. Once they brought it out front I went to get in to leave and no sound from the stereo, it was working fine during the test drive. They had 3 Nissan techs looking at it and after a hour they could not find the problem, they reset everything(basically unplugged the battery) and it started to work again. Since I have not had any issues and I am at 3600 miles. Looks like maybe a bug in their system.
Oh yeah, wow that's wild. Well at least it seems that it's just a very temporary thing and I guess I'm glad I didn't waste my time. If 3 Nissan tech's can't find out whats causing it then I guess it's pretty much something that has to be dealt with. It almost sounds like a software issue, I wonder if they'll come out with an update if enough people complain to dealers about it? Thanks for the post sheffner. I love my Xterra and I'm about to take it down to WV in 5 days, going to be down there for 9, can't wait to hit up the trails in the mountains!! :rockin::rockin:

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Thanks Labbie. Yeah I'm not going to worry about it to much either since it's only happened twice in almost a year. I'm not sure if it's good to know I'm not the only one or if it makes it worse lol. What year is yours and is it M/T or A/T? Mine is a M/T, not sure if it might have something to so with shift shock while driving briskly, at least with the first time it happened to me anyway.
Posted via Mobile Device
Mine is a '14 AT.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Picked up a '14 Pro4X back in January. Stereo is about to be replaced under warranty. While driving back to NJ from CO I had the volume controls on the steering wheel stop working a couple times and I have had the whole unit reboot a few times while driving along in navigation mode. Very annoying since you lose the information that you put in for your destination. The stereo is actually a hard part to find since it is in high demand. Had to wait over a month for it to come in. Might mean lots of others are having problems.

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
2014 Pro-4X bought in March and had the black screen upon startup about 4 times now. I just shut off the truck and start it back up and everything's gravy.

One time I just left it at the blank screen for about 4 minutes and it turns on by itself and works just fine. Weird.

Definitely a bug in the system.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Picked up a '14 Pro4X back in January. Stereo is about to be replaced under warranty. While driving back to NJ from CO I had the volume controls on the steering wheel stop working a couple times and I have had the whole unit reboot a few times while driving along in navigation mode. Very annoying since you lose the information that you put in for your destination. The stereo is actually a hard part to find since it is in high demand. Had to wait over a month for it to come in. Might mean lots of others are having problems.
Uhhh well that would suck to lose all your settings in the GPS. A month wait time is quite a bit, I wonder how many other owners of different vehicles are having these same problems? I think they use some variation of the system in our Xterra's in all the higher model Nissan's now. Thanks for the info.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
2014 Pro-4X bought in March and had the black screen upon startup about 4 times now. I just shut off the truck and start it back up and everything's gravy.

One time I just left it at the blank screen for about 4 minutes and it turns on by itself and works just fine. Weird.

Definitely a bug in the system.
Very strange, I had a 12 S before my current 13 and the upgrade with touchscreen nav is really nice but these problems with the screen almost make me want a regular old radio without a screen. Thanks for your info. Also does anyone know if theres a way to update the maps? You'd think it would be pretty easy being the nav info is stored on an SD card which is nice. I find the gps to be missing roads and intersections at times.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Very strange, I had a 12 S before my current 13 and the upgrade with touchscreen nav is really nice but these problems with the screen almost make me want a regular old radio without a screen. Thanks for your info. Also does anyone know if theres a way to update the maps? You'd think it would be pretty easy being the nav info is stored on an SD card which is nice. I find the gps to be missing roads and intersections at times.
Posted via Mobile Device
I could have sworn after a month of owning my 2014 Pro-4X, a message came on the screen asking if I wanted to update the software. I forgot if it was a map update or just a regular software update.. I just pressed "ok" without thinking about it.

I did noticed that the map is not all that great.. it uses a lot of inside road for unnecessary reasons even though I had it on freeway settings. Against my wife's google map on her HTC, it's better, her HTC wins by a notch.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
I could have sworn after a month of owning my 2014 Pro-4X, a message came on the screen asking if I wanted to update the software. I forgot if it was a map update or just a regular software update.. I just pressed "ok" without thinking about it.

I did noticed that the map is not all that great.. it uses a lot of inside road for unnecessary reasons even though I had it on freeway settings. Against my wife's google map on her HTC, it's better, her HTC wins by a notch.
Hmmm thats interesting as I haven't seen anything pop up on mine as of yet. I also find when putting in addresses it can't find them and won't let you type in the whole thing. Then it only allows you to select whatever road/street it comes up with. It's pretty annoying TBH. Yeah the new Apple Car Play and Androids version is awesome, they should have done that a long time ago. Google Maps is by far the best GPS software and most phones from 2011 on run it nicely.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
I also find when putting in addresses it can't find them and won't let you type in the whole thing. Then it only allows you to select whatever road/street it comes up with. It's pretty annoying TBH.
Yeah that is very annoying. Seems like the POI tab is useless.. it could never EVER find anything I type in there, like a certain Beach or Park... sucks ass.

It needs a major update. Haven't gotten around to search online how to update it yet. I'll get to it.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yeah that is very annoying. Seems like the POI tab is useless.. it could never EVER find anything I type in there, like a certain Beach or Park... sucks ass.

It needs a major update. Haven't gotten around to search online how to update it yet. I'll get to it.
Yeah with all this time I have at work doing nothing you'd think I would have already found out if/when it can be updated. If I do I'll be sure to let you know, probably start a new thread to put the info out there for everyone with 13/14 Xterra's. What I don't understand is how it can be so lost and unable to find simple intersections or addresses when the've only put them in model year 13 and up? It's like at times it thinks it's smarter then me, uh noo lol.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Ahhhh wtf, I'm not paying $150.00! Why would they have to give you a new SD card when you already have one? Uhhhhgg, I'm on my phone at the moment, I'll have to look into it more when I get on my computer. I guess this is the norm for in car GPS's but $150.00?? This is my first vehicle with a GPS, hence why I'm so out of the loop. I'll just use Google Maps on my iPhone for free. I'm glad I didn't pay for it as an option and it was just part of the Pro-4x package lol.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Yeah that's kind of weak charging so much to upgrade. Oh well. Maybe there's a free version floating around the net somewhere.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Today my volume control wouldn't work, neither the steering wheel control nor the knob on the radio itself. The little bar graph for the volume appears on the screen, but wouldn't add or subtract bars.

Everything else seemed to work. After shutting it off the X and turning back on it worked.

·
Registered
22 Posts
problems with a '14

So, I picked up a 14 pro-4x three weeks back and I had an issue with the climate control going to full fan, restarted and it went away. In the last week I've had the touchscreen and volume go non-responsive, the climate is locked on and the gauges jum around, vibrate and click while on accessory mode (hoping to reset climate via).

I've scheduled service and am trying not to use it as much as I can. Today I booked service and discussed with the selling dealer. My guess was it was a bad battery or alternator not giving I enough voltage. The dealer suggested checking fuses. I pulled the HVAC switch and voila it fine upon reinsertion.

To be honest this doesn't make me happy, as much as reinsertion can solve the problem i'd like to know what is really going on before I fry all the electronics!

Is this stray voltage building in a circuit? Inadequate supply? Any ideas?

·
Registered
22 Posts
There's a really cool feature that allows you to load an lat long and name csv onto the sim card. These will show up as 'my locations' if my memory serves me correctly.

Zillions of ways to produce that with GIS, google earth etc.

Haven't tried it yet but in theory it sounds slick.

1 - 20 of 111 Posts