Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
on line
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im installing lights into my car right now, ill need to hook up my switch to a parking light wire but i can't find it. does anyone know which wire is on when the parking lights are turned on......this wire needs to be inside the cabin.
the lights are currently hooked up to an ignition wire, but theres this LED thats constantly lit and is starting to bug...

the lights are 210 mm spot/fog lights from CATZ....its a "JDM" japanese brand.....they are [email protected]
i wish i had a camera to take some pics

·
on line
54 Posts
The headlight wires are a pink(left) and red(right) wire under the dash. If you switch them to +12v it should turn the head lights on. They should trace back to a brown 8 pin plug. The chart I have says they come from the IPDS E\R. I don't know what that means, but it sounds like a computer of some sort so I would use a mulitimeter to test for them instead of a test light.

·
on line
3,484 Posts
I think they run from the BCM and in that case I would use a relay to trip it because the BCM might not be strong enough to take it over the long run. My statement supported here: http://www.kpsec.freeuk.com/components/relay.htm
It is sort of same reason Hoppy sells powered converters for add on trailer light plugs. You don't want to fry the BCM. I did check out the flashers once when someone wanted to replace the flasher and I recall all the lights running through the BCM. Get good power for the 30 pin on the relay and hook the rest up according to the diagram. Learn more:
http://electronics.howstuffworks.com/relay.htm
When the coil of the relay is at rest (not energized), the common terminal (30) and the normally closed terminal (87a) have continuity. When the coil is energized, the common terminal (30) and the normally open terminal (87) have continuity. Learn all you need to here,
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Relay#Relay_application_considerations
But, to keep it simple buy a simple relay, use the low beam pos as the trip, and the diagram here: http://www.r1200gs.info/howto/relay.html
A cheap relay will work, sometimes found in fog lamp wiring kits for less than you can buy alone at $10 to $15. I like the kind with a mounting hole to screw or zip tie to something. MC

·
on line
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanx guys.....
so..... the PARKING light wire is a SOLID PINK and SOLID RED under the dash??
i dont need the headlight but only the parking lights.....

mc, thanx for all those links.....i had no idea what a relay was...but i got a kit, it came with a harness that has a relay, a fuse, and a LED switch, it has two leds on and off.....
this is why i need the parking light wire, cuz i dont want that led on every time i drive.....

thanks again guys......

·
on line
3,484 Posts
Well the low beam light will do same thing as parking light as far as the light being on. I would go low beam because it has a better resistance to backfeed. Or, I'd put a resistor in the relay to prevent it but that is kinda techy. Go to Bulldog.com (Alarms) and act like you need a wire diagram and it tells you where to find all the wires. 12V.com sometimes works also. MC

·
on line
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanx....
btw....lol ur marine pissing in the arabs coke joke is pretty funny.....im sure my marine whos leaving next week would get a kick out of it.....hes pretty pumped after watching 300
i know he'll complain again after a few weeks there though

·
on line
1,114 Posts
usmc xterra said:
Well the low beam light will do same thing as parking light as far as the light being on. I would go low beam because it has a better resistance to backfeed. Or, I'd put a resistor in the relay to prevent it but that is kinda techy. Go to Bulldog.com (Alarms) and act like you need a wire diagram and it tells you where to find all the wires. 12V.com sometimes works also. MC
BUMP

So...which color wire is the low beam wire? I'd like to connect my lights to the low beam wire but I don't have a clue which one it is.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts