Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
on line
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to change to 285/75-16's once I add my lift. My only concern is the stock spare tire size. I am going to need a tire that is about the same rolling diameter that will fit in the stock location because I take long road trips and do not want to damage anything or have any problems if I get a flat.

Another idea was to install the same size spare, only partially inflated and pump if up the rest of the way with a 12 volt air compressor should I need it.

I don't want to add the spare tire carrier so that is out of the question. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks!

·
on line
1,831 Posts
I'd recommend buying a used tire for your spare if you'd prefer to be cost efficient. There are lots of used AT and MT tires for sale in classified ads because people tend to want maximum tread for their AT and MTs.

·
on line
335 Posts
285/75R16 tires will fit in the stock location.

I got two free BFG AT 285/75R16 from a local tire shop (they had been taken off a chevy pickup because the shop forgot to align the truck ~5k miles before)...but hey, free is free.

anywho, i have mine inflated to 35psi and have a hidden hitch. tire fits fine.

·
on line
15,651 Posts
285/75R16's will fit fine in the stock location, just watch the e-brake line. Mine was rubbing on the tire and was starting to wear a hole in the line before I noticed it.

I bought a full spare and glad I did as about 4 months after I bought them I put a huge deep slice in one of my tires. It still holds air, but it's now my spare.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts