Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to do some research on what tires to buy next.
I replaced the OEM tires with BFG AT KO's back in 2009; of course, everyone knows that they are not a great winter tire, but they have certainly lasted! Of course, in this neck of the woods, a winter tire comes in handy.

I drive pavement 95% of the time, the other 5% is hunting season, when the X has to go down some pretty gnarly trails. The poor thing's paint is one big mass of scratches, but the X handles the boggy ground and the mud holes quite well, thank you very much. (It is a good vehicle for the outdoorsman, after all!)

So, I've been reading about the new Cooper Discoverer A/TW; which is supposedly a "all weather" tire as opposed to an all season. Winter snow flake approved, and it's supposed to be the equal of most all terrain tires out there.

So, my question is; anyone out there have any real life experience with this tire they would like to share?

·
Super Moderator
4,384 Posts
It is my understanding that the Cooper Discoverer ATW was only recently released, such that there might not be any meaningful firsthand experience yet.

The discussion about this tire on expeditionportal.com is that it is essentially a Cooper Discoverer AT3 with additional siping and a winter rating. The rubber compound may be different as well, but I cannot confirm that.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, they are fairly new, and limited retailers as well. In Canada, they are only available through Canadian Tire.

I suspect the compound is different, the mileage rating is lower than the AT3's.

I was kind of hoping they were released earlier in the States, they are made there, after all.

They've only been available here for the last two months or so.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So, after debating with myself for the longest time, and being due for my annual safety inspection, i bought the ATW's. They were on sale, so I decided to buy them.

I've had them on for two whole hours now, so I cannot report anything on wet weather traction, or mud, or snow......

I can say that they do not seem to be as noisy as the BFG AT KO's.

I'll try to remember to do updates as the miles accumulate.

·
Registered
26 Posts
My next tire will be a/tw (x/t4)

Glad to hear the cooper a/tw is quiet.
I wonder how long they will last but cooper says 85000 km.
Since I driving 5000 km a year I doubt I'll wear them out.

I expect my province will start to demand " snowflake" rated winter tires soon and I just don't have storage space for both.

Will follow this thread:)

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm averaging around 10,000 km a year, but my X is an 05. I'm thinking the tires and the truck will wear out at about the same time!
Storage of tires was one of my concerns. I kept the BFG AT KO's on year round, but they were not a great winter tire. Good in the snow, but when the weather got cold, they lost all of their grip.
I'm really hoping these tires live up to their hype!

·
on line
391 Posts
i have them and have put about 7,000 miles on them. i like them a lot. they're really quiet and handle really good, especially in the rain and off road. I dont go rock climbing with them or anything, but just general off road they handle great. i would definitely buy them again.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Just got a quote from my tire guy on some A/T3's. Says cooper is starting a $70 rebate promotion tomorrow on a set of 4 tires.

For the A/T3's My price was $707 out the door mounted balanced and then the $70 rebate.

I live in Northern Michigan so I will inquire about the A/TW but I have a feeling the A/T3 is more than enough for the large amount of snow we get.

·
Registered
197 Posts
No doubt they are good in snow, but when -13 F outside you need dedicated winter tires.
What? Plenty of winter here was -13 or worse this past winter. Had amazing traction and no slipping with 3 year old 65k tread life all season coopers. Lived in Northern Michigan most of my life and do just fine every winter without dedicated winter tires. I have never owned dedicated tires for winter including for my old fwd acrua integra and she STILL got around up and down the hills. Just don't buy dedicated summer tires and you won't need dedicated winter tires. All seasons are a happy medium hence the name.

·
Registered
417 Posts
What? Plenty of winter here was -13 or worse this past winter. Had amazing traction and no slipping with 3 year old 65k tread life all season coopers. Lived in Northern Michigan most of my life and do just fine every winter without dedicated winter tires. I have never owned dedicated tires for winter including for my old fwd acrua integra and she STILL got around up and down the hills. Just don't buy dedicated summer tires and you won't need dedicated winter tires. All seasons are a happy medium hence the name.
I don't know man, you make your own choice. I also have KO2s but will put my winter tires this winter. Here in Quebec there's now a law enforcing the use of Winter rated tires. (The KO2s are winter rated, yes) But when it comes to safety I dont want to mess around. They did a compare test with road tires in this video. The decision of the OP to go for dedicated winter tires is, in my opinion, a wise one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGfvyPtYR0Y

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The Cooper's might be better in cold weather, but the BFG AT KO's I had on for the last 5 years totally sucked when it got colder than about -15. No snow or ice needed, the tires were like hockey pucks on ice. When I hit the brakes for a normal stop, all I would hear was the ABS making obnoxious noises. Defensive driving to the max!

·
Registered
164 Posts
Well. I went in on Monday to buy a set of A/T-3s and ended up with A/T-Ws. So far, very quiet compared to the factory Long Trails, Truck feels much more stable both in straight line driving and in corners. There is snow on Pikes Peak today, so it won't be long till I'll get to try them out under winter conditions!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts