Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
on line
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was checking out AC's site and they have a cool looking skid plate for the rear diff. They have one for the D44 axle and the C200 axle.
If I remember correctly, the X, S, and SE all have the C200 and the offroad's have the D44. Is that correct and does anyone have this skid plate yet? Seems like a great thing. I want to find out if it's worth it.

·
on line
315 Posts
I think the X and S also get a D44 if they have a manual tranny. Otherwise you're correct. There was a thread here earlier about that diff skid, IIRC it caused rubbing on the gas tank and was sent back to AC. Don't know if they revised their design or not.

·
on line
335 Posts
yes about the manual tranny...

there's someone else on here iwth the redesigned skid, says theres plenty of room now between the skid and gas tank

·
on line
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Cool thanks guys.

I guess my only concern was the fact that it is only held on by 2 U-bolts on the round axle tube. Looks like if it's not cranked down extremely hard that thing could rotate down and become an earth mover.

·
on line
2,081 Posts
Yupp - It is I with the Diff skid. I will go outside now with my new Digi SLR and take some pics of the redesign for ya'll.

It's held on by the 2 U-bolts, plus a bar that goes over the top of the front of the diff, hense it will not rotate anywhere and become an earth mover. Tried and Tested off road last weekend. No rattle on the Gas Tank skid and no rubbing on the gas tank - Which the original design did until I sent the original back and AC redesigned it. If you want diff armor for the D44 armor and can't wait 6 months for it - This is the only option. I personally am happy with it.

Looking at these pics. Looks like I mounted it a little off center! lol. Will have to losten the bolts and move it over a little, so it's more centered.

Difficult to get a pic of the bar that loops over the front. Basically there are 2 uprights welded to the front of the skid, with a metal bar that bolts over the top. It was said metal bar that was originally rubbing on the gas tank, but they made the 2 uprights alot narrower now, so there is a ton of clearance from the Gas Tank, even tho I appear to accidently have mounted it closer to the Gas tank.

I wanted armor A.S.A.P because the first trip I took my X off road I hit the diff and peeled back the bottom of the cover. Causing a leak, so had to pull the cover and re-seal it, which wasn't fun as the first time I did it I didn't use enough liquid gasket and it ended up not sealing properly. 2nd time was a charm tho.

·
on line
2,081 Posts
Here's a pic of the OLD design, where you can see the 2 uprights. Took this pic for AC before I shipped the skid back, so they could see the measurement and that it was way wider than it needed to be. I know some folks on here don't like AC much, but they were AWESOME to deal with when I reported the problem with the original design. They paid for shipping to return it to them, then within 3 weeks I had the redesigned skid at my door.

·
on line
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sweet pictures Rinky!

Wow that does look really cool and sturdy. And they even have one for the C200 axle out now! Yeah for me! Once I skid plate the bottom that will be on the list.
Thanks!

·
on line
119 Posts
I had the same problem as Rinky ( he notified me about it ) with the skid making contact with the gas tank. Had the designed skid on for about 3 weeks, no problems. AC was great at getting the redesign out to both Rinky and myself quickly.

Here is a photo of the new (left) redesigned and the old (right) skid plate.
[/url]

·
on line
119 Posts
Here are the actual photos of both the old and redesigned skid. Note on the right hand photo how much more of a gap between the skid support and the gas tank than there is compared to the one on the left.

·
on line
2,938 Posts
I just received my AC diff skid today. One thing that baffles me is the little box underneath. I know why it is there, but not why they have a blunt edge hanging down like that and facing forward. Seems it could easily get hung up on something. (MC be careful!)

Any thoughts.

As seen in the uper left of this picture.

·
on line
589 Posts
I also have the redesigned skid on my X, which has the D44. Haven't had a chance to take it off-road yet, but after the install it seemed to be on there solid and no longer runs any risk of hitting the gas tank. Picked it up wanting to be safer then sorry...

·
on line
807 Posts
the only thing that I dont like about the design is how the U-bolts hang down. I think it would be better to use the type of U-bolts that are squared off and put it up from the bottom, then use another one of those brackets that fit the axle tube ontop, and put the nuts ontop of the axle tube, instead of on the bottom..... if that makes sense.

·
on line
2,081 Posts
Done a little wheeling with mine here in Sedona, AZ. It has a bit of a scrape on it, so saved the diff at least once that day. Pretty solidly built, I agree about the U-bolts hanging down, I was thinking about dremeling the bits off that stick out. Still the only option out there right now and I feel happy I have it to protect the diff, after being one of the first 2nd gen people to peel the diff cover back! :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts