Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm beginning to wonder if my coolant temp sensor has gone bad or is going bad. when i first bought the truck, the coolant temp gauge on the dash would be rock solid in the center of the gauge, basically horizontal. then a while back, maybe a year or two ago, I noticed it was a little lower when the truck was warmed up, just a tick below horizontal for the gauge.

Now, lately i've been getting worse and worse mileage and the gauge on the dash is even lower than before when the truck is warmed up, to the point where the little icon in the center of the gauge is mostly uncovered by the needle.

it seems to be running fine but i can't figure out what is causing the gauge to not go to the fully warm position.

has anyone else experienced anything like this? I'm thinking that either the thermostat isn't closing all the way like it should, or the sensor might be bad/going bad. I'm hesitant to blame the thermostat because the truck doesn't take very long to warm up and the heat blows warm as soon as the gauge starts moving up the dial.

·
on line
2,868 Posts
When warmed up, mine sits where Brit's does, as well as a few others I've seen. The gauge doesn't really act like a true analog gauge, it sits there at least from 180 to 220 that I know of. Basically when it warms up, the needs swings to this normal position. I don't know what happens to it (or when) it's over heated.

I'd plug a scan gauge on it and see what's really happening.

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
xterra_britt your gauge says AT oil temp is that a warning light or is your gauge for transmission temp? maybe a difference between the US and CA market trucks?

Brett i plan to do just that as well as use an IR thermometer to see what the coolant temps really are at.

EDIT: now that i think about it, the temp showed that level before i topped off my coolant and had the waterfall sound behind the dash. when it started getting cold here i decided that it would be a good idea to have heat at idle. maybe that has something to do with it....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts