Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well you're gonna guess and be right, but I'll explain it a bit further. it's a tire rack rear bumper, with the swing away carrier, hitch and recovery points. But going a little further, since I have onboard air and never had a tank, the bumper itself is made from rectangular stock with the ends capped off. presto. Tire carrier air tank hitch bumper! Rear-end me now, sucka. (could be akin to the exploding armor some A1-A's have.... I dunno....

And I'm ditching the trench digger trailer hitch finally (thank god)

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks!! See up here in Canada, we don't go sue crazy...

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Also if I manage to damage it wheeling i've probably bent my frame up over and through the back cargo area. that steel is 3/8.

·
on line
10,980 Posts
Not all that uncommon, actually ... http://bit.ly/1f33nN7

... haven't seen it here (TNX), though. Unless you're regularly (like every day) in rush hour traffic, I wouldn't be too worried ... even then, with 3/8" wall (as OP says he's using) you're way over-kill on the durability. Gonna take more than just a fender-bender to puncture that.

·
Premium Member
9,791 Posts
you'll be fine. I seen people use their sliders the same way. just make sure you post more pics.

·
on line
22,508 Posts
That sounds incredibly dangerous.
Good luck when someone sues you for blowing the front of their car off. Or having it explode when you bump it wheeling.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

Not all that uncommon, actually ... http://bit.ly/1f33nN7

... haven't seen it here (TNX), though. Unless you're regularly (like every day) in rush hour traffic, I wouldn't be too worried ... even then, with 3/8" wall (as OP says he's using) you're way over-kill on the durability. Gonna take more than just a fender-bender to puncture that.
Agreed. 3/8" thick wall! Damn that is stout! I would not be worried. I've seen this done a few times using the roll cage on some crawling rigs. I think its a cool idea. :eek:ccasion5:

As for Captain Negativity, you do realize you are on the highway all the time with big rigs that have air tanks right on the side of the cab that are pressurized for their air brakes and running significantly thinner walls... just saying... :withstupid:

·
on line
10,980 Posts
FTW! Thanks for that Dozer, I needed the chuckle with my coffee.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'll post up some pics when it's done. cutting and welding today..... God I hate cutting steel...

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The whole thing probably weighs abouuuut 100 pounds without the tire. maybe 115.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
That sounds incredibly dangerous.
Good luck when someone sues you for blowing the front of their car off. Or having it explode when you bump it wheeling.
100psi would make some noise, but probably not blow the front of a car off, sorry Buzz Killington.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
It's the internet demons!! update. air tank and hitch welded up. mood lit for effect.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts