Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's in Flagstaff again. I'm seriously considering it. Me and the GF taking off for two weeks and driving out there. Check out a few places on our list of possible of "Move to" places.

http://www.overlandexpo.com/

·
Premium Member
919 Posts

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
First, that is a massive trip! Are you going to share the driving with the lady friend?

Second, how on god's green earth was I unaware of myscenicdrives? That site is great.
Oh yeah, we'll be switching off driving.

I stumbled on that site a few months ago and have been playing with. It has some cool features. I'm still learning them :)

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
I went since I live in flag and was only a half hour away. It was awesome. I loved it. All the big name brands were there too.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I went since I live in flag and was only a half hour away. It was awesome. I loved it. All the big name brands were there too.
Posted via Mobile Device
That great of you to volunteer to host us all......:iconbiggrin:

·
on line
10,980 Posts
I was there for a day this year ... wish it had been the whole weekend, one day was *not* enough for more than a cursory walk through the whole set-up. I was down there to meet with a particular manufacturer and to check out one of their trailers, used the excuse to check out the expo for a day ... definitely want to go back, though. Also, I'd love to try and get into some of the classes/seminars they offer if you're signed up for the whole weekend experience. Still up in the air about next year ... would love to try and make it, but not sure if it will make the cut with other potential trips on the list and (somewhat) limited PTO.

As far as the timing, if my memory serves (questionable, at best) the last two or three years it has lined up with the preceding weekend to GONE Moab ... totally seems feasible that one could take off mid-morning Sunday from OvEx and make Moab in time for the M&G Sunday evening. That is, of course, if they both keep to traditional schedules ...

Quest, that Scenic Drives tool looks pretty cool ... may have to play with it some more. What's the sign-up cost? Any negatives so far? Like spam, expense, excessive ads, etc ...

Also wanted to note, that the expo is held here: http://goo.gl/maps/QX99w, unless they're changing the location for 2014 ... it looks like maybe a slightly different spot than you have called out in your Scenic Drives maps.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Quest, that Scenic Drives tool looks pretty cool ... may have to play with it some more. What's the sign-up cost? Any negatives so far? Like spam, expense, excessive ads, etc ...

Also wanted to note, that the expo is held here: http://goo.gl/maps/QX99w, unless they're changing the location for 2014 ... it looks like maybe a slightly different spot than you have called out in your Scenic Drives maps.
No cost, and I haven't seen any spam as of yet. I'm still learning it so the actual address may be off. I haven't got that far in the planning for details.

I found out recently that my GF's mom has 10 acres her parents bought back in the 50's or 60's just outside of Deming NM. It looks like it's out in the middle of nowhere and it's not worth anything, but property taxes are only like $10 - $15 per year for both tracks so they've kept it in the family. We thought we'd swing by and check it out.

I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on a the full package for Expo, I want to be able to attend classes while I'm there. I've got a lot to learn :)

·
on line
10,980 Posts
Awesome ... I'll sign up and take a look as well, have some trips noodling around in my head that I think this thing would be useful for, as well. In that vein, I also recently picked up some of the Butler maps ... they're geared for motorcycles, but it's all scenic roads and some back-country dual track ... should most all be doable in our Xterras.

Yeah, I think if you've got the time and it fits into budgetary constraints, the full experience is definitely the way to go. Hopefully I can work it out as well, and I'll see you there!

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Just registered, Now that I've made the commitment to attend I will have to get my ass in gear to get a bunch of stuff done and ready for this trip.

I know it's 8 months away, but damn I'm stoked already!

·
Premium Member
919 Posts
Just registered, Now that I've made the commitment to attend I will have to get my ass in gear to get a bunch of stuff done and ready for this trip.

I know it's 8 months away, but damn I'm stoked already!
I am really close to pulling the trigger as well.

I just need to get a committed copilot.

:bounce:

·
Registered
822 Posts
You guys will have a blast. I went this past time and did the full Overland Experience, all 3 days with classes and everything. Learned a ton, met some great people and it was really inspiring. Not to mention the hundreds of vendors that make you want to take out a second mortgage on your house.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts