Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
on line
2,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Long story short, mine are shot because a female friend of mine decided to drive the X a few miles with the e-brake on. I've already adjusted the lever but the pads are at a point where they won't hold on a good incline.

If anybody has done this can you post a how-to, or is it going to become plainly obvious once I pull my rear rotors off...?

·
on line
3,262 Posts
well I have pulled the rotars off but honestly I cant remember what they looked like under there except for the fact that they looked all gunked up with rusty brake dust.... Mine is starting to wear down a little too much for comfort also...

keep us posted Shawn.

·
on line
15,651 Posts
I have replaced mine, but was in a hurry and at my ex GF's fathers house without a camera....so no photos.

If you have done drum brakes before, it's not much different.

This is from memory.

1. Loosen lug nuts on rear wheels (just losen, do not remove)
2. Jack up rear of vehicle (chalk front wheels).
3. Place vehicle on jack stands.
4. Remove lug nuts and wheels.
5. Remove brake calipers and pads.
6. Remove caliper bracket.
7. Remove rotor.
8. Remove brake shoe springs.
9. Remove brake shoe retainers.
10. Readjust brake lever out so you have room to readjust later as shoes wear down.
11. Install new shoes.
12. Use the shoe adjuster to adjust the clearance between the shoes and drum portion of the rotor. (I have a drum brake gauge http://www.monstronix.com/kdt3377-p-51722.html)
13. Replace the rotor.
14. Replace lug nuts to hold rotor on.
15. Adjust brake lever. (see below)
16. Replace the caliper bracket.
17. Replace the caliper and pads.
18. Remove lug nuts
19. Replace the wheels.
20. Lower Vehicle.
21. Break in new shoes (see below)

Here are the torque specs you will want.
Wheel lug nuts: 98ft-lbs
Caliper Bracket Bolts: 136ft-lbs
Caliper Bolts: 32ft-lbs

Brake Lever Adjustment.
1. Operate hand brake lever 10-12 time with average force.
2. Adjust lever adjusting nut so that it's tight with 6-8 clicks.
3. If you run out of adjustment, you will want to remove the rotor again and readjust the shoe adjuster. (repeat above steps)
4. Once adjusted, release brake and be sure there is no drag on the brakes.

Shoe Break-in.
Once the shoes are replaced, break them in and re-adjust brake lever.

At 25mph apply medium force to the parking brake for 30 seconds. Do this a couple times with 5 minute in between to allow the shoes and drums to cool.

Re-adjust brake lever using steps above.

·
on line
2,938 Posts
I soo need to do this. My X won't hold in Neutral with the E-brake in my driveway!!!

·
on line
15,651 Posts
The meat on these shoes is so thin that it would only take once or twice of driving with the brake on to ruin them. The ex GF had a habit of driving all the time with the e-brake on.

·
on line
15,651 Posts
Well, if they are not use to driving the truck, they won't know what should feel right. But that wasn't her case. She drove it a lot. The difference is she is used to a sporty stick shift that screams at her when the e-brake is on and also won't go any place with the ebrake on.

The X has the power to move with the e-brake on just not real well.

·
on line
2,938 Posts
Muzikman said:
The meat on these shoes is so thin that it would only take once or twice of driving with the brake on to ruin them. The ex GF had a habit of driving all the time with the e-brake on.
Your EX is the girl at ECXC last year?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts