Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
on line
1,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Put this in my other post, but not sure if it is getting much attention there...

Has anybody tried making their own shackles? I've done this a couple times on my old Samurai, and it is way cheaper than aftermarket shackles. Just wondering how one would incorporate the funky bend in the shackle. Maybe just a big steel spacer on the one side at the top and make both shackle plates the same profile...? What is the width difference at the shackle mount vs. spring eye, anyway? Any thoughts?

Stock shackle dimensions (ie, interior width @ shackle mount, IW @ spring eye, bolt to bolt distance) and a pic would be great. Thanks! ~Steve

·
on line
15,651 Posts
I can measure them for you when I get home. I don't see any reason why you couldn't make a set and use a spacer. I do have to ask why though. You already bought a $25k truck, why not spend the $60 on shackles. :)

·
on line
1,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cuz I'm just that cheap. :geek: Plus, I work in a metal fab shop, so why not.

I'm actually looking in to dialing in a specific lift height in the shackle to match the AC coils... I'd rather build my own set to level out the X just right rather than get a set that is too short or too tall from a vendor (everybody says they match just right, though...). ~Steve

1 - 4 of 4 Posts