Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
on line
1,864 Posts
:clown: Well, being the previous owner of a tire shop, that little device looks EFFICIENT, BUT--

--we have many other methods of tire repair, including the spares--

--This little device would be very handy, if you were alone on an expedition in , oh, you know Brazil/The Amazon/New Orleans--

--There's not much reason for its use, in the states and you would need a lot more to supplement the operation !!

-- :geek: :geek: --JIMBO

·
on line
15,651 Posts
Yeah, breaking the bead is only part of the battle if you are trying to change a tire, and it's the simplest task out of them all.

I am still not seeing the usefulness of it.

·
on line
809 Posts
I've been on a lot of trails and seen all sorts of degrees of tires problems. Never once have I seen someone struggling to unset a bead.

Spare, plug kit, radio, don't wheel alone, over night survival gear, ... All of that would be way more suitable for a flat tire situation.

·
on line
750 Posts
I don't know how many thousands of miles I have run on dirt roads and offroad and have never popped a bead out.

And like the others said, resetting a bead is the waaaay harder part.

·
on line
3,285 Posts
Well, I have had flats offroad before. One time, I got a flat tire, so I pulled over. When I was pulling over, another tire failed. Since then, I have been running two spares, and I have yet to have a tire fail.

Breaking a bead is easy and reseating a bead is not too bad either (as long as you have a sufficient air supply). However, the labor and equipment involved in dismounting / remounting a tire on a rim in the boonies is not worth it. Buying good tires and carrying two spares is all you'll ever need - unless you really are going to the Amazon.

·
on line
15,651 Posts
Resetting a bead is as easy as a ratchet strap, can of starting fluid and a lighter.

Also, on-board air and a plug kit can save your life.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts