Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My windshield has developed a 12 in" arcing crack in the windshield (near passenger wiper). I found a bunch of threads that indicated many of you have had to replace your windshields over time (some several times!). Couple of questions:

1) Are there specific glass replacement companies that do a particularly good job with Xterra's? (from the posts I gather our windshield frame is a bit flexy, hence the question).

2) Anyone have any recommendations for Northern NJ?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Word of mouth from people around you about specific shops is more valuable than forums for something local like that, I find.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Northern NJ, eh?

My wife used safelite for two rock chips and 1 windshield replacement on her fusion. You can't even tell that a new wind shield was installed. Insurance covered it and only cost her the comprehensive on her insurance ($100 i think?) happened before we combined our insurance.

·
Registered
2,316 Posts
Northern NJ, eh?

My wife used safelite for two rock chips and 1 windshield replacement on her fusion. You can't even tell that a new wind shield was installed. Insurance covered it and only cost her the comprehensive on her insurance ($100 i think?) happened before we combined our insurance.
Same here. Just used Safelite a couple months ago. Did a fine job, looks exactly like the stock windshield.

·
on line
2,263 Posts
I have replaced my front once by a local company here in Oregon but had Safelite replace my back window and would recommend them to anyone. They took my X in before my appointment and I was back on the road in 20 minutes. It was so quick because all they had to do was take the old seal and glass stuck to it off, put new seal down and install window since I had cleaned everything for them prior.

+1 for safelite

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys, there's a safelite about 15 miles from me. I think I'll give them a shot based on your recommendations. May I ask roughly what you paid to I know what to expect?

Thanks again.

·
Registered
2,316 Posts
Insurance covered it, so nothing (I have full comp.).

If I recall, its about $700 paid, if paid out of pocket. I believe safelite has an estimate app on thier website.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks...for those that used Safelite, did the Safelite windshield come with the grid of dots behind the rear view mirror? I called them and they said it did, but also said I have the option of getting OEM. Not sure if m insurance company cares, but suspect OEM will be more $$.

I'm ok with non-OEM if you guys have been satisfied with non-OEM, but I do like having that grid behind the mirror (the woman I spoke with says they call it a "frit" :dontknow:) Did your Safelite replacement come with it?

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
The OEM windshield leaves a bit to be desired as it is, I decided to try an aftermarket replacement.

285 Posts
I have had a Safelite windshield in the past on another vehicle. It cracked from a buddy who was trying to set off a crappy alarm I had installed. It was cheap, but in my case, I got what I paid for. It might have been an overseas manufactured Safelite windshield.

When I get a windshield replaced, I always request PPG or Pilkington.

·
on line
951 Posts
I had Portland Glass replace my windshield a few years ago. PPG glass with the dots behind the mirror. I would not recommend them at all, windshield had to be reinstalled 5 times due to leaks. 6th time it went to a body shop for removal and installation, never leaked again.

·
Registered
2,316 Posts
Thanks...for those that used Safelite, did the Safelite windshield come with the grid of dots behind the rear view mirror? I called them and they said it did, but also said I have the option of getting OEM. Not sure if m insurance company cares, but suspect OEM will be more $$.

I'm ok with non-OEM if you guys have been satisfied with non-OEM, but I do like having that grid behind the mirror (the woman I spoke with says they call it a "frit" :dontknow:) Did your Safelite replacement come with it?
The windsheild Safelite installed for me was 100% OEM. Including the grid dots behind the mirror. Its the exact same brand as the OEM one. Carlex, if I recall correctly.

Unsure if they install others. My insurance company asked what was already installed and said they would put in the same.

·
Registered
5,130 Posts
Use caution with your insurance! I had progressive and got a good sized chip on my 4runner. Progressive said I had glass coverage and it would be a $0.00 deductible. Safelite came out and said they could repair it, all I would see after the repair would be a tiny speck. After the repair it looked the same. Big ugly chip. Safelite said it was guaranteed for life to not leak or spread. A week later, two cracks started spreading out from it. I took it back to safelite and they said that it was not repairable and needed to be replaced. That would be on my dime. I asked about the guarantee and they said the promise is that they will re-repair it. If not repairable well too bad. So basically on repairs they have a crap guarantee.

A few months later at renewal, my premium increased. Progressive said it was due to my glass claim even though I had the coverage. I dropped Progressive and haven't been back. Safelite charged Progressive $130 for the repair and Progressive raised my premium $220 every 6 months.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Use caution with your insurance! I had progressive and got a good sized chip on my 4runner. Progressive said I had glass coverage and it would be a $0.00 deductible. Safelite came out and said they could repair it, all I would see after the repair would be a tiny speck. After the repair it looked the same. Big ugly chip. Safelite said it was guaranteed for life to not leak or spread. A week later, two cracks started spreading out from it. I took it back to safelite and they said that it was not repairable and needed to be replaced. That would be on my dime. I asked about the guarantee and they said the promise is that they will re-repair it. If not repairable well too bad. So basically on repairs they have a crap guarantee.

A few months later at renewal, my premium increased. Progressive said it was due to my glass claim even though I had the coverage. I dropped Progressive and haven't been back. Safelite charged Progressive $130 for the repair and Progressive raised my premium $220 every 6 months.
Wow, that is 100% opposite my wife's experience. Sorry to hear that.

Rock chip repair was free. After a few days we did not accept the rock repair because the chip was right in front of the drivers face and the sun caused a rainbow glare on the windshield. After my wife ponied up her comprehensive we had a new windshield. No changes in our insurance premium (except down).
-chirs

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I scheduled an app't with Safelite near me. My insurance will cover it. I'm out the deductible of $100. Safelite indicates for the Xterra, OEM is all they use (just like klundquist said...thanks!).

1 - 18 of 18 Posts