Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
on line
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I do think they are a little pricey! the tire and wheel package is around 1400.00, then you need the lug kit and road force balancing which is not included...PR...

·
on line
1,618 Posts
I am really happy with mine. On my last truck I had Pro Comp M/T and loved them. Didn't know what to think when these showed up. Although they are not a true replacement for mud tires, they have done everything I have asked. At least they are quiet. Good A/T compromise for a daily driver in my book. Got 4 265 75 16's on Ebay for $468 shipped.

·
on line
1,320 Posts
they're like one of the least expensive tires available in a decent AT tread.
... the wheels you're getting must be a bit pricey.

·
on line
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
lifeinthesouth said:
they're like one of the least expensive tires available in a decent AT tread.
... the wheels you're getting must be a bit pricey.
$174.00 per tire...look at the link up top...PR...

·
on line
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
USMC Xterra: I partially read your thread on tire balancing and tire size.
The Nitto`s are higher load rating OEM = [email protected] and the Nitto`s are [email protected] Is it not good to run these types of tires?...PR...

·
on line
3,484 Posts
I'm not a tire expert in the least. But when I called BFG tech dept. They said that is why I had balancing problems, I had a LT tire where a P tire is designated. They said it was way way too stiff for the suspension. They also mentioned that the construction is so much heavier than what should be on it. (referring to the sidewall plys) I was like well crap, that is what we want sidewall protection! Next time I will go same kind of tire, just a lot smaller. Maybe a few steps down weight rating wise. To lighten it up. Get better MPG. Looking at what is in use and what sells. BFG AT's kinda beat the crap out of anything else. I was looking at the Mickey Thompson AT's. Next time. By then maybe they will have a Kevlar sidewall cheap.

Also, big tires mean you can never run chains. And chains can get you out of a lot of snow and mud.

MC

·
on line
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
usmc xterra said:
I'm not a tire expert in the least. But when I called BFG tech dept. They said that is why I had balancing problems, I had a LT tire where a P tire is designated. They said it was way way too stiff for the suspension. They also mentioned that the construction is so much heavier than what should be on it. (referring to the sidewall plys) I was like well crap, that is what we want sidewall protection! Next time I will go same kind of tire, just a lot smaller. Maybe a few steps down weight rating wise. To lighten it up. Get better MPG. Looking at what is in use and what sells. BFG AT's kinda beat the crap out of anything else. I was looking at the Mickey Thompson AT's. Next time. By then maybe they will have a Kevlar sidewall cheap.

Also, big tires mean you can never run chains. And chains can get you out of a lot of snow and mud.

MC
Thanks for replying: I`m not a very serious off roader. I live down the shore and frequent the pines and access roads to the beaches, but don`t actually ride at the waters edge. Mostly (which is important) I tow a ski and most of the good area ramps are sandy, grass, state parks etc, need decent hook-up to go in and out. The stock Longtrails are horrible in the rain. When I went to look at discounts tire package deals that is what came up? I`ll also ask them if they have had any troubles. I don`t plan on putting chains on at any time...

OT: I recently had a 2001 Suzuki Vitara convertible, with Calmini susp kit, hard top, custom made front gaurd with hitch recieve built in and so on, the stock tires were wimpy, after the Calmini kit I install Kelly Springfield MT tires on Outlaw 2`s had no problem and they were stiff side wall, just my 2 cents...PR...

·
on line
3,484 Posts
Well I love KS tires. I got perfect balance and wear out of them on my KW.
I have not really found a tire that does do or anyone reports...That is an AT and does real well on wet roads. The BFG AT's used to be like horrible on wet roads but they made them better and I hear they went even better yet. Mine are pretty good, Wet = float and wider tire will float more. Slow down helps. MC

Tire purchases seem to be 10% knowledge and 90% luck. I hate to buy tires. Now on my Caddy's I always have good luck.

·
on line
551 Posts
18" tires?
no wonder they're so expensive.
I know they say they fit, but any reason to go 18s?
BTW check out the Pathfinders on the discount site. We put them on our work trucks and no complaints: excelllent traction in mud, snow ice. Haven't got stuck yet. they really surprised me how well they've worked out. Serously thinking of them for the X and the Burb

·
on line
830 Posts
Pale Rider said:
usmc xterra said:

MC
Thanks for replying: I`m not a very serious off roader. I live down the shore and frequent the pines and access roads to the beaches, but don`t actually ride at the waters edge. Mostly (which is important) I tow a ski and most of the good area ramps are sandy, grass, state parks etc, need decent hook-up to go in and out. The stock Longtrails are horrible in the rain. When I went to look at discounts tire package deals that is what came up? I`ll also ask them if they have had any troubles. I don`t plan on putting chains on at any time...

OT: I recently had a 2001 Suzuki Vitara convertible, with Calmini susp kit, hard top, custom made front gaurd with hitch recieve built in and so on, the stock tires were wimpy, after the Calmini kit I install Kelly Springfield MT tires on Outlaw 2`s had no problem and they were stiff side wall, just my 2 cents...PR...
Got pics of the vitara. I am looking at getting a sidekick for wheeling.

·
on line
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
bigdaddychia said:
Pale Rider said:
usmc xterra said:

MC

Got pics of the vitara. I am looking at getting a sidekick for wheeling.
Yes, the Vitara came out really cool!!! I don`t know how to post pics here, if you PM me your e-mail addy I`ll send them to ya!...PR...

·
on line
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well we went with the 18" MB Predators with 285/60/18 Nitto Terra Grapplers from Discount tire!!! Should have them by next week!...PR...

·
on line
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
OK, just got the wheels/tires today, should have them on sometime this weekend. What is the reccommended tire pressure for this combo?...
man these tires and wheels look great!...PR...

usmc: they weigh in at 78lbs...

·
on line
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I`m looking for reccommended tire pressure for this set-up, anyone have any ideas. 35 psi according to the door placard, looks way to soft for highway use. so I just put in 40 for starters. the load rating on these nitto`s is 3086 @ 50 psi and the stock OEM tires were 2125 @ 44 psi, so what air pressure should I run???...PR...

·
on line
3,484 Posts
I wish I had a link to the formula, but mine are about that size and call for 42 PSI so you are very close.

78 lbs! Mine are 82 so If I went with the Nitto 255 70's I bet I can get close! Aw man! What are the lottery numbers going to be? Anyone know? MC

·
on line
268 Posts
With all the rain we've been having around here of late I got really tired of the slippery arsed (editted by Grouch for Muzikman :p ) BFG Radial Long Trail tires. Man those things are horrendous in the wet stuff.

Put on my Nitto's this morning. I know I don't have much time in the seat with them, but I can still compare them a bit to the crappy Long Trails.

Bought them from Discount Tire Direct for $484 shipped. I also went from a stock 265/70-16 to a LT265/75-16. My Long Trails have 28,000-miles on them with plenty of tread left (they're headed to Craigslist).

1. They are noisier. Not much, but they are. Not very noticeable and when you turn on the radio you can't hear them.

2. Wet traction is GREAT! Thank goodness.

3. They look a lot better than the BFG RLT's.

4. They seem to ride much smoother. This is probably because it's a new tire versus one that had 28000-miles on them, but man are they smooth.

5. No balance issues. Balanced right up with little added weight.

6. Truck sits about 3/4 to 1-inch taller, measured from the ground to the top center of the wheel/fender opening.

The shop I had put them on sells BFG tires among others, but not Nitto's. Two of the guys in the shop stated (at different times and away from each other) that the Nitto's were good tires and that the BFG ATko's were overpriced. lol I know all the BFG guys will chime in now. I thought it was funny as usually you find places that sell specific brands bad mouthing the stuff they don't sell. Their trucks out in the parking lot had Cooper Discovery's AT's (ST, SST, or something like that) on them.

The Nitto's are Load Range D and 8-ply. Dunno if that ply rating applies to the sidewalls or not, but I'm not concerned as I won't be doing any rock crawling or serious off-roading.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts