Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently switched to full synthetic oil last oil change but am wondering if any one is using G Oil bio based motor oil? I like that its from reusable based stocks and that its all US based. BUT I see no high mileage full synthetic and I'm approaching 100k. n

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
You got to 100k on some oil. Keep using that. I used the same oil or equivalent and have had several cars make it past 100k. The "high mileage" hype is a .

Recently switched to full synthetic oil last oil change but am wondering if any one is using G Oil bio based motor oil? I like that its from reusable based stocks and that its all US based. BUT I see no high mileage full synthetic and I'm approaching 100k. n

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have a truck at 218k on regular Castrol and Motorcraft depending on what I had available at the time and always with an OEM Motorcraft filter. High milage oils are a marketing hype in my opinion.

Bio based oils would concern. My experience with vegetable based cutting oils in the machining industry is that while the lubricity is technically better, they do break down much more readily due to heat. They also have an issue in turning acidic when they do or with a combination of water contamination. In a vehicle that would be unavoidable do to humidity and condensation not to mention the sustained heat. This was told to be by a chemical engineer and third generation company owner of what I consider to be the best cutting oil available. He said they worked with vegetable based oils for a while and finally pulled them off the market due to those problems.

Not sure specifics on G oil but knowing what I do about the above situation I would be very skeptical and regular petroleum seems to work just fine with regular changes.

·
on line
7,144 Posts
They had rebates a while back that amounted to free oil. I still have 4 jugs left. Running strong in the X

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for all the feedback. I was concerned with the biobased oils but like the low impact to environment and the lack of dependence of foreign oil.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Thanks for all the feedback. I was concerned with the biobased oils but like the low impact to environment and the lack of dependence of foreign oil.
They're base stock is sourced from North America, not America so you should look elsewhere.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts