Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
on line
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im looking for one to make my x scream but i only have a v6 4.0LT i thought about a couple and just wondered if anyone out there had any that sounded great on there x : :bigsmurf:

·
on line
564 Posts
Headers...no cats...flowmaster!

Rob

·
on line
830 Posts
you want loud. Headers. Nothing else. Then you can get pulled over all the time. People who want a just insane loud exhaust are stupid. Not to mention you dont benefit anything from it.

·
on line
189 Posts
cherry bomb or a glass pack

i have a glass pack on my 2004 Silverado and is louddd...

but right now i have a Cat Back Gibson on my X

its not loud but is Quiett..

·
on line
564 Posts
Re: no cats?

SpaceCowboy said:
robnfl said:
Headers...no cats...flowmaster!

Rob
Why would you take your cats off?

-Cowboy
The cats basically work as mufflers, as far as sound goes. Remove the cats and ya get a better, louder sound with less back pressure.

A lot of high-po aftermarket companies make "off road" (non street legal) exhaust kits to replace the cats of performance cars. Of course it helps if you live in a state that doesn't require emission testing.

Rob

·
on line
82 Posts
Re: no cats?

The cats basically work as mufflers, as far as sound goes. Remove the cats and ya get a better, louder sound with less back pressure.

A lot of high-po aftermarket companies make "off road" (non street legal) exhaust kits to replace the cats of performance cars. Of course it helps if you live in a state that doesn't require emission testing.

Rob
From experience, a car with a good working emissions system (the electronic part) and no cats will pass emissions. I had an Eagle Talon TSi AWD with no cats and it always passed with flying colors. Same goes for my Ford Focus with no cats.

As long as the car is in good running condition and you get the emissions checked after the car has been running for 15 minutes, there should be no problem.

YMMV

NOCM

·
on line
2,077 Posts
the purpose of a catalytic converter is to reduce the amount of toxic compounds leaving the vehicle. these compounds (including nitrogen, carbon, lead, sulfur, phosphorus, etc.) are extremely harmful to the environment (and you!).

the purpose of a muffler is to reduce the sound of the exhaust on a vehicle. they do not remove toxic compounds or elements!

get a catback and headers LEAVE THE CATS ON!!!!....believe it or not they serve a very good purpose.

·
on line
58 Posts
Cats

I guess it all depends where the O2 sensor is. If its after the cat you will lose a bunch of gas mileage.

-Cowboy

·
on line
564 Posts
willgr1 said:
the purpose of a catalytic converter is to reduce the amount of toxic compounds leaving the vehicle. these compounds (including nitrogen, carbon, lead, sulfur, phosphorus, etc.) are extremely harmful to the environment (and you!).

the purpose of a muffler is to reduce the sound of the exhaust on a vehicle. they do not remove toxic compounds or elements!

get a catback and headers LEAVE THE CATS ON!!!!....believe it or not they serve a very good purpose.
Very true...if you are truelly concerned about the environment leave the cats intact...or better yet ride a bike!

If you want good sound and maximum power increase the flow through the intake and exhaust...and remove the cats.

Rob

·
on line
4,495 Posts
Banks makes a Monster Exhuast system for the Frontier. You will not be able to use the tailpipe cause of the way it exits (under the fender as opposed to under the rear bumper of the X) so you'd have to have someone custom job one for you. It is loud. Not annoying loud, not ricey loud, but louder than any other Gen II exhausts I've heard. Throw that on with a set of headers and your good to go.

I will ask, why do you want it loud? Your money, your truck though. I remember I used to want an exhaust as soon as I got my truck, then I changed my tune. I like my low keyness right now...well that and I have yet to find one I like, but Bassani is in the lead right now.

·
on line
56 Posts
I know in Colorado the emissions places use a mirror to check if you have cats or not, this being said you can always make piggies to fool them.

·
on line
685 Posts
Very true...if you are truelly concerned about the environment leave the cats intact...or better yet ride a bike!

If you want good sound and maximum power increase the flow through the intake and exhaust...and remove the cats.

Rob
You are better off leaving the cats or getting a set of performance cats if you have cash to burn, reducing the backpressure of your exhaust system too much will degrade performance on a naturally aspirated engine.

·
Registered
7,713 Posts
With shorty headers, you'll have plenty of back pressure to run cat-less. Now, MAYBE with longtubes you might notice a low end TQ decrease but as we all know we can't get LT's. I wouldn't worrk about lack of backpressure with the shortys.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts