Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
on line
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any one know if the Hella 500s are Dot certified..
I was wondering if I could use them on the highway?

·
on line
1,831 Posts
I can't find anything that indicates whether they are or are not.
However, I know that here in CA, any lights below or level to your stock headlight height is legal for on-road use.

California Vehicle Code 24411:
Notwithstanding any other provision of law, a vehicle may be equipped with not more than eight lamps for use as headlamps while the vehicle is operated or driven off the highway. The lamps shall be mounted at a height of not less than 16 inches from the ground, or more than 12 inches above the top of the passenger compartment, at any place between the front of the vehicle and a line lying on a point 40 inches to the rear of the seat occupied by the driver, shall be wired independently of all other lighting circuits, and, whenever the vehicle is operated or driven upon a highway, shall be covered or hooded with an opaque hood or cover, and turned off.
________
Avandia Sickness

·
on line
1,407 Posts
Wow thats surprising. I always thought that 55W and less was only legal.

·
on line
3,484 Posts
Well Normally a light DOT certified will have that stamped into the lens. I haven't looked but about every light on the x should have DOT stamped into it. somewhere, ya have to look hard sometimes. However, when I was looking on my Black Magics, I did not find it. It's not going to be on the 500 either. Although anything 55 watts or less, mounted properly according to the state of registry, in the right numbers, and wired properly won't be messed with. Fact that we have a two headlamp system helps out. If it is 4 lights they count. Guys like me with a gazillion watts on the other hand.... LOL I'm almost legal. MC

1 - 4 of 4 Posts