Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
on line
807 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My OBA setup has gone through 2 revisions so far, and I am just not satisfied with it. In order to get any practical use of it, I need a huge tank, and it takes up entirely too much space, and waay to long to refill.

I decided to rip it out and not run OBA until I can figure out a way to mount a York engine driven compressor.

I am just wondering how much interest there would be for a bolt-on bracket that would mount an engine driven York to the VQ40. Due to space requirements, I would be using the super-compact model, instead of the Standard model. The SC209 I plan on using is 100% duty cycle and creates 9.1 scfm at 3000rpm, or around 4.1 scfm at idle. These compressors are capable of running most airtools without a tank, and can be used to seat beads, and air up tires in literally just a few seconds.

These compressors can be found in junkyards on may old Volkswagens, or you can buy them rebuilt through most parts stores.

Let me know if you would be seriously interested in something like this, I would supply the bracket, mounting hardware, and possibly belt and pulley depending on what all is needed to mount this successfully. Should run under $100, you would of course supply the compressor.

·
Read Only
656 Posts
stevet47 said:
These compressors can be found in junkyards on may old Volkswagens, or you can buy them rebuilt through most parts stores.
Why on VW's? Which VW models: Type 1,2, or 3?

·
on line
807 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
buxwheat said:
stevet47 said:
Why on VW's? Which VW models: Type 1,2, or 3?
Sorry, that was supposed to say 'many old VWs', not 'may'. York compressors can be found on everything from Ford trucks, to Volvos, VWs, Jeeps, big rigs, etc. I was just saying that the SC209 model is most commonly found on VWs, specifically the 80-84 Jetta, 82-85 Quantum, 78-84 Rabbit, 80-84 Rabbit convertible, 80-81 Rabbit pickup, and 79-84 Scirocco.

·
on line
3,484 Posts
I took mine to a shop who does these set ups all the time, (Adds AC compressors (For air) and alternators, (For large stereo set ups.) Friend of mine. He took a look, closed the hood and said good luck. So I was like wait a minute, how about just relocating the Alternator higher up, he opened the hood got under it, got a flashlight, got a better flashlight, sot a spot light, came out, closed the hood and said good luck.

So, you must be good luck, you figured a way.

But, why rip out something that worked before you got something else that worked, Just think if we did that with oil refinery's.

What did the VW's use the Air Compressors for? Seems like a real HP hog for such a small engine.

Post some years and we'll go look. I'd be up to it. Maybe I can bring it in and he would say ah huh?

MC

·
on line
807 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The VWs, as well as everything else, used them as AC compressors, as that is what they are, but unlike most AC compressors, they use oil, not freon for a lubricant, meaning they make great air compressors.

And I just want to make it clear, I haven't made these brackets, I was just wondering if anyone would be interested in them when I do. I took a look, and think I figured out a spot to mount it, I just have to go about actually doing it now.

usmc xterra said:
But, why rip out something that worked before you got something else that worked, Just think if we did that with oil refinery's.
My second OBA setup was mounted in the bed, and I never got around to making a cover for the compressor, because I didn't really care about it. Then it got covered in snow for a few days, and I just assume that is doesn't work anymore (I haven't actually tested it since the snow). I removed it because I need my bed space back, and it isn't efficient enough to warrant taking up the space.

Here is an SC209:
They measure 4.69" wide x 7.76" tall x 6.84" deep.

·
on line
62 Posts
I'll definitely be interested in a backet that will mount a York to my engine.
I had a York 210 on the Jeep I just sold and I doubt you will beat it's performance and reliability with any portable compressor.

Vince

·
on line
807 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I had put the project on the back burner for a while because I am busy with school, but my buddy gave me a York 210(the big one) a couple weeks ago, so I just got done rebuilding that. I am graduating this Saturday, so my time will free up after then, and I will be able to make a lot more progress.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts