Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
on line
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am talking about x and s 4x4 models!

For the first time I went more tough off-roading with my X.
I would rate the trails from moderate to medium.
So far I only picked the easy trails because I was most of the times all by myself.
But this time I met a guy on the trail and so we wheeled together. He drove a 4x4 jeep liberty!
Both vehicles have very similar setups.
Both are about 3 month old and stock vehicles.
He has limited slips on his and I have ABSL on my X.
What I see on the trails is this guy just drove over everything without a problem
and I got a lot of troubles to catch up with his jeep!
What I learned is my X slips a lot and ABSL seems not to kick in at all.
I never got stuck but for all the obstacles I have to try at least twice or more.
The jeep just went over everything real easy!

But for your info I am a bloody novice in off-roading.
So I hope it is me and not my X. I can learn to handle my X.
But if it is my X then I am lost . :blackeye:

Any comments !?

·
on line
161 Posts
its not your X. SOunds like this guy may have either done this trail before or is just reasonably sound at driving off-road. Im sure if i got going off road i would probably run into things like you did. But there are those that wouldnt that drive an X as well. I think that fortunately for you (or unfortunately) it is you and not your X, so you can practice and learn and become better at it.

·
on line
1,479 Posts
agreed. Don't let that liberty make you second guess your X

·
on line
168 Posts
I don't think it is your X. I have taken my X in some good terrain, especially mud, and it performs fine.

Turn off the VDC or use 4Lo.

I only see cute young females driving Libby's.

:D

·
on line
279 Posts
I don't think it's your X. Just a little more experience off road. Depending on the trail, you might also try to air down your tires a little.

·
on line
15,651 Posts
The liberty is a very capable SUV but it is no better than an X.

There has been a lot of good advice to make wheeling the X easier while you learn to read the lines.

Use 4Lo. When going up/down hills or over an obsticle it gives you more torque at a slower tire rotation. This allows you to crawl over things instead of just spinning your tire. It also allows you to decend hills without using so much brake.

Use 1st gear when climbing a steep hill (or decending a steep hill). This has a similar effect as using 4lo. The less your tires spin, the more traction you are getting.

Air down (20psi should be good). This gives you a larger foot print which gives you better traction. It also lets the tire mold around rocks giving you better traction.

Pick your lines. Watch the vehicle in front of you. Watch what lines it takes and see if it has any problems. If it does, look for a slightly better line. Some times there is on, some times there isn't. Hell, some times YOU pick a line and the truck doesn't like it and decides to pick it's own. :)

There are many reasons the Liberty seemed better. It could be anything from more OR experiance to slightly better tires to he wasn't worried about getting dings and scratches. :)

Wheeling a lone is also not a good idea. Anything can happen out there and some trails can be a really long hike back to a main road for help. Find a local OR club and go on some runs with them. Not only will you learn a lot, but you'll also have someone there to help you out of a jam.

·
on line
1,831 Posts
Muzikman said:
Wheeling a lone is also not a good idea. Anything can happen out there and some trails can be a really long hike back to a main road for help.
I agree with this whole-heartedly after being stranded in the Desert for four days with two bottles of water and a bag of snack mix.

Needless to say, it sucked a big one.
________
Expert Insurance

·
on line
1,884 Posts
Syndicate said:
I agree with this whole-heartedly after being stranded in the Desert for four days with two bottles of water and a bag of snack mix.

Needless to say, it sucked a big one.
Can't just drop this one ans not start another topic with the story....

·
on line
15,651 Posts
Oh, and the ABLS works pretty well, but you have to take it easy. If you gun it and start spinning at high RPM's the ABLS will not be able to hold back the wheel. Easy on the skinny peddel is usualy best.

·
on line
315 Posts
I've found the ABLS to work extremely well if you know how to take advantage of it. Like Muzikman said, don't gun it too much, but be sure to stay on it and let it do its work. You'll slip a bit but once it kicks in you'll get bits of traction here and there. And don't mind the noises...

·
on line
2,072 Posts
having off roaded in the past prior to ABS and ABLS, it has taken me along time to get used the noise and feel on the petal when the ABLS kicks in. I thought I was breaking something the first time I found some wet snow. Still not 100% used to it yet.

·
on line
2,938 Posts
I don't think I will ever be 100% use to it. Something in my brain says that doesn't sound right when it happens. I always back off the go pedal.

·
on line
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hi from Las Vegas

Hey thanks guys :cheers: .
I feel o lot better now!

You are right! I need to go out there and practice, practice, practice...

Thanks

·
on line
1,831 Posts
Just remember to maintain a constant image in your mind as to where each of your 4 tires are in relation to the terrain. Take things slowly at first and if you go alone, bring self recovery gear and plenty of food and water. :)
________
Effects Of Zoloft

·
TNX Administrator
20,491 Posts
Syndicate said:
Just remember to maintain a constant image in your mind as to where each of your 4 tires are in relation to the terrain. Take things slowly at first and if you go alone, bring self recovery gear and plenty of food and water. :)
and a cell-phone. We've have had several resuces around here because individuals had cell-phones.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts