Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

Anticipation! Finally, an X Might be in my Future?

6K views 67 replies 13 participants last post by  JSM 
#1 ·
I've been on the hunt for the "right" Xterra for me for a long time. I've been in no hurry, as I have a 2007 Frontier King Cab Nismo (Off Road) in fantastic condition.
I have come close to buying two or three Xs in the past 6 months, but none met my high standards.
But I'm really picky. I want low miles and great condition. Especially considering the prices these days... it needs to be really great to get me to pull the trigger.
Well, I found one on carmax about 2 weeks ago, but it was far, far away. I locked it up by scheduling a test drive a week out and then delayed once while I considered.
And today I paid to have them ship it across the USA for me... once it gets here I'll be able to inspect it and make a real decision.
I really hope this is the ONE for me.
It is a metallic blue Pro-4X with a manual transmission, 2014 with under 50k miles.
The pictures all look great, but I have learned cars always looks better in the pictures. It will be interesting to see how it really looks.

The potential negatives that might make be back out...
Carfax says it's been in a "minor accident". Can't really evaluate that without seeing it in person.
Rust... I'm in San Diego, and I want a really clean underside. I won't be able to evaluate that till it gets here.
Other hidden damage or issues.

But I'm really hoping this one checks out. I put some money in for the shipping... so I have some skin in "the game".
Automotive parking light Tire Wheel Automotive side marker light Vehicle
Car Gear shift Vehicle Motor vehicle White

I'm not a fan of the pinstripes... I'm hoping I can remove them.

But I'm excited!

See less See more
#4 ·
It is my favorite color. They say up to 21 days to get it to my local carmax. I bet it's quicker as that seems really long, but we will see. Here is a more "real" photo they sent me:
Wheel Tire Automotive parking light Car Land vehicle

#5 ·
The color really pops under certain lighting conditions. If you do decide to keep it after thorough inspection… don’t let it go. Keep it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#6 ·
Forgot to add about the pin stripping. They come off easily. Use some sticker shocker or goof off overspray remover. It will melt the glue behind the decal. Use your finger nails to remove them lightly. Repeat as needed then wash off with soap and water.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: VintageX
#7 ·
Forgot to add about the pin stripping. They come off easily. Use some sticker shocker or goof off overspray remover. It will melt the glue behind the decal. Use your finger nails to remove them lightly. Repeat as needed then wash off with soap and water.
I'm pretty sure these are painted. I hear lacquer thinner works and won't dissolve most clear coats. We will see...

#8 ·
Its a beautiful color.
I rank it even higher than Nightshadow and the dark red we have.
I also looked at this car on Carmax' website.
but I have an Xterra PRO4X , an 11 and the trade in loss would be huge.

#12 ·
Looks great, we’re all hoping it works out for you!

what did you pay for shipping? Partial or full cost, which you lose if you don’t buy?
A friend bought a Pathfinder from a small Nissan dealer 1000 miles away, shipping cost him $1250. Carvana/Carmax move cars themselves and many so it’s hopefully just around $200 for you?

#13 ·
I saw another X that had painted pinstripes, so I jumped to the assumption that these were painted too. But looking closely at the pinstripes again, they may very well be tape! I saw the teardrops at the front of the stripes and thought those had to be hand painted, but it does look like it could just be formed tape. And the rear end of the stripe maybe a nissan logo?
Car Vehicle Automotive parking light Automotive tail & brake light Automotive lighting
Blue Hood Automotive lighting Vehicle Automotive exterior

We will see, but I think tape will be much easier to remove. And if it leaves a faded stripe, I may just re-stripe it in a darker color that doesn't stand out so much. But I've had good luck removing decals.

what did you pay for shipping? Partial or full cost, which you lose if you don’t buy?
I pay all the shipping and lose that if I don't buy it. And it was expensive as the shipment is 2300mi. (Carmax actually didn't list it as shippable, but I called and asked.) I know it's a gamble as I have seen a couple that I didn't like in person. But there just aren't many low mileage manual Xterras out there.

The whole deal is really expensive, but I'd by a new X if I could get one. For me it will be a new vehicle. ;-)
I am really picky. And I have a really great 2007 Frontier that serves as a benchmark, it needs to be in much nicer condition that that. No need to remind me used cars have flaws... I have very seldom bought new vehicles in my life, and I've owned many. I also know that with a car like this if you look long enough some really cherry ones will pop up.

ntier Pro-4X decals on it, which I don't believe any Xterra came with, so anything is possible.
Yeah, I'm hoping the decals and hood / window deflectors are a sign an caring enthusiast owned it. ;)

Reactions: bluez
#21 ·
My wife loves heated seats... I'm sure she will use the feature even here in Sunny SoCal! But I likely won't have much use for it except on trips to the mountains.

#22 ·
Carmax just notified me the truck has arrived in San Diego! Supposedly it will be a couple days for them to wash it and check it over and then they will call me to set up my inspection. I plan on scheduling a 24 hour test drive and taking it to mechanic for a through inspection...

#24 ·
Hmm... thinking about this, I think they have to get a VIN inspection and have it smog checked... so it might be a while...
I know if I buy an out of state vehicle from and individual I have to do those myself and run around to the DMV and smog inspector. Hopefully they have a streamlined process for dealers.

#29 ·
I'm tempted to go to the lot and do a secret walk around... but it's really not worth my time until it's "ready".

I'm pretty sure CarMax would have to sell it to you with a local in-state inspection sticker and locally smogged. That is what they get their markup for.
This is certainly true, and probably the cause of the delay before they are ready to make an appointment for me... they can't sell it to me until they get the smog and VIN inspection.

Every day I hope to hear it's ready! Arg!

#27 ·
Just for the record:
My first Xterra was a loaded Blue 2015 PRO4X (that is when I joined this board)

a)I was on contract and I heard our contract might not be renewed soon.
So, to prepare myself for what I thought was a looming unemployment, I sold the X given that it was still under 10k miles (9500) and still in the calendar year of this model year both proven value holders and by the time I would let go I was sure to be above 10,000 miles and it would then be calendar year '16 making my Xterra notably "older" in possible buyers perceptions.

Little did I know that these would hold and even rise in value and that

b) my contract was renewed.

I regret I sold it just as much, as I regret selling my 2004 Caribbean Blue Infiniti G35 Coupe for a song when it had 179,000 miles, years ago... it was in near perfect shape partial new suspension, mechanically in A1 shape etc, and I got pittance for it due to milage.

Reactions: 80884.digital
#28 ·
I'm pretty sure CarMax would have to sell it to you with a local in-state inspection sticker and locally smogged. That is what they get their markup for.

#30 ·
Well, I had some time and I went by the carmax lot today and went looking around. I found the truck and got a look at it! I did a thorough walk around but didn't get inside.
It looks pretty good so far! Needs a wash but the exterior condition looks very nice.
I used my paint depth gauge and found the area of a previous "minor" accident that was stated on the carfax. It is right in front of the fuel filler door and extends forward into the passenger door. I couldn't see anything (at least with the dirty car) but the paint was thicker in that area and there is maybe some thin filler right in front of the filler door. At first glance it looks like a well done repair for a minor dent or scrape. Gotta wash it and look, but I think its likely undetectable without a magnet.
The pinstripes are shot, but appear to be easily removable. That's good since I don't like them! I'm just hoping that removing them doesn't leave a visible "non-faded" stripe.
The underside looks pretty good too, just some surface rust. Not as nice as a typical SoCal car, but acceptable in my opinion.
I'll have scheduled a test drive for next week and I'll also bring it to my friendly shop and put it on a lift, etc.
Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle Vehicle

Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Automotive lighting

Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Car seat cover Automotive tire

Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Window Car seat cover

#31 · (Edited)
The car was clearly loved by its previous owner, as evidenced by the PRO4X decal from the Frontier on the flank.
IMO thats a thing only someone into Nissans and Xterras would do.
I also prefer factory Nav over a phone based Nav.
because the phone needs to "see" the internet via cellfone towers to do this.
The cars NAV only needs to "see" satellites and they are of course visible everywhere, months, years even, after the zombie apocalypses.

In all seriousness I had issues before with phone based nav losing connection and unable to navigate.. when in the boonies that can be an issue.

#32 ·
The car was clearly loved by its previous owner, as evidenced by the PRO4X decal from the Frontier on the flank.
IMO thats a thing only someone into Nissans and Xterras would do.
I also prefer factory Nav over a phone based Nav.
because the phone needs to "see" the internet to do this.
The cars NAV only needs to "see" satellites and they are of course visible everywhere, months, years even, after the zombie apocalypses.

In all seriousness I had issues before with phone based nav losing connection and unable to navigate.. when in the boonies that can be an issue.
That's good info on the NAV... I've never had a car with one. Really I want the backup camera. especially living in the city. I parallel park on every drive.

#34 ·
Factory pro 4x camera works (in dash display) but it points downwards. Higher mounted back facing camera in upper right. Both together even better.
Sky Rectangle Gadget Technology Display device

i prefer a dedicated GPS. Single purpose devices do 1 thing well and they don’t go down when something in the unit goes down.

Stock stuff works until you try something better. I can store a few thousand destinations and in theory move it in between cars. Closer to my hand. Doesn’t restrict anything based on car in motion. Doesn’t cover stereo screen.
Light Gadget Entertainment Audio equipment Flat panel display

#36 ·
Offroad, I usera Garmin Montana and California Trail Map. And I carry an InReach beacon too that has maps. I'm pretty good at offroad navigation, being a desert motorcyclist.
But around the city I use my phone. And there is a good chance I upgrade the head unit to an android auto unit.
I do think the backup camera will be really useful.

Factory pro 4x camera works (in dash display) but it points downwards. Higher mounted back facing camera in upper right. Both together even better. View attachment 141763
Roxterra, what is / who makes that wide display?

#35 ·
Backup camera is awesome. I don’t know how I lived without one at this point.

The integrated GPS is useless. Roads change at a pace now that the 2015 maps are going to be completely out of date and the updated SD cards are stupid expensive. Just run your phone GPS which updates constantly (for free) and has integrated traffic and speed traps.

#37 · (Edited)
Sorry OP I hope we are not derailing your thread too much :)

I always liked factory Nav systems.
They are integrated smoothly.
Nothing is mounted non stock looking on dash etc.
Sure the phones are updated more quickly but I respectfully disagree with the poster that states roads are changing quickly.

And I believe factory Navs are more robust physically, electrically and from a reception standpoint.
Imagine trying to get out of town during hurricane emergency, ALL the cell phone towers will be overloaded then and you are driving on unfamiliar roads.

For example even non emergency, when I drive through an area here (FL/AL border area) in the boonies my google nav complete drops off.
Waze will work a bit better for a while and rember the route w/o cell fone towers.
It often remembers the route it was supposed to show as we drive through no coverage.
But if I stop at my destination and want to change the route or return it simple does not work nd i have to go back by memory
Which is good exercise for mental acuity,.. but what if its night time, I am tired, etc etc

Even an older factory system will not have that issue.

I currently do not have a factory Nav anymore but I remember how nice it was to have one on my 2015.

PS: For these reasons for "serious" road trips I use a Garmin instead of my phone, which, even though it does not read traffic conditions as well as Waze, does a better job on keeping me on the major roads than google + Waze and is more resilient almost like a factory Nav,
Garmin of course was (is?) a supplier of factory navs to Nissan.

Plus with phone I feel, I always have to take my eyes off the road way to much to use them due to suboptimal mounting location and tiny controls to manipulate them

#38 ·
when I drive through an area here in the boonies my google nav complete drops off.
It often remembers the route ti was supposed to show as we drive through no coverage.
but if I stop and want to change the route or return it does not work.
FWIW, Google Maps allows you to download rather huge areas to avoid that problem if you are headed out of network data coverage.

#39 · (Edited)
Well, I finally saw the truck! I took it on a 24 hour test drive, inspected in closely myself and then brought it to my local shop.
Overall, it looked very nice. But it did have a couple issues and I have asked Carmax to address them. Carmax won't negotiate, but they will often fix flaws. They made no commitment, but are investigating my list and will get back to me.
Exterior an interior are GREAT. Underside has more rust than a California car, but not bad.
Issues:
  • OBD codes, I posted a separate thread about these.
  • Pulsation/vibration in the brake pedal caused by significantly rusted brake rotors. With luck they will replace the rotors and pads for me if it doesn't meet their standards.
  • I asked them to test the battery as it looked old to me, and if it's weak I hope they will replace it.
  • Noise from the clutch pedal. Especially at high revs there is a moan or groan when depressing and releasing the pedal. I hope it's not the clutch throwout bearing, this sounded more like a vibration or resonance in the pedal / return spring assembly. Hopefully it just needs some WD40 somewhere.
  • Cabin air filter cover was missing and there was a loud howling/whistling from the heat / ac fan. The clip that holds the filter cover in place is also broken, and that is a real problem to fix. Might require a new expensive HVAC unit just to have an unbroken clip. On my Frontier I have the same problem and used a zip tie to hold the door in place.

So now I'm just waiting to see what they decide they will do. I would like to buy it... hopefully we can come to some agreement on this stuff. This one is very expensive, and at the price I would like everything to be "right". ;-)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.