Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been on the hunt for the "right" Xterra for me for a long time. I've been in no hurry, as I have a 2007 Frontier King Cab Nismo (Off Road) in fantastic condition.
I have come close to buying two or three Xs in the past 6 months, but none met my high standards.
But I'm really picky. I want low miles and great condition. Especially considering the prices these days... it needs to be really great to get me to pull the trigger.
Well, I found one on carmax about 2 weeks ago, but it was far, far away. I locked it up by scheduling a test drive a week out and then delayed once while I considered.
And today I paid to have them ship it across the USA for me... once it gets here I'll be able to inspect it and make a real decision.
I really hope this is the ONE for me.
It is a metallic blue Pro-4X with a manual transmission, 2014 with under 50k miles.
The pictures all look great, but I have learned cars always looks better in the pictures. It will be interesting to see how it really looks.

The potential negatives that might make be back out...
Carfax says it's been in a "minor accident". Can't really evaluate that without seeing it in person.
Rust... I'm in San Diego, and I want a really clean underside. I won't be able to evaluate that till it gets here.
Other hidden damage or issues.

But I'm really hoping this one checks out. I put some money in for the shipping... so I have some skin in "the game".
Automotive parking light Tire Wheel Automotive side marker light Vehicle
Car Gear shift Vehicle Motor vehicle White

I'm not a fan of the pinstripes... I'm hoping I can remove them.

But I'm excited!

·
Registered
645 Posts
Love the color! Good luck with it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: VintageX

·
Registered
645 Posts
It is my favorite color. They say up to 21 days to get it to my local carmax. I bet it's quicker as that seems really long, but we will see. Here is a more "real" photo they sent me:
View attachment 141365
The color really pops under certain lighting conditions. If you do decide to keep it after thorough inspection… don’t let it go. Keep it!

·
Registered
645 Posts
Forgot to add about the pin stripping. They come off easily. Use some sticker shocker or goof off overspray remover. It will melt the glue behind the decal. Use your finger nails to remove them lightly. Repeat as needed then wash off with soap and water.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Forgot to add about the pin stripping. They come off easily. Use some sticker shocker or goof off overspray remover. It will melt the glue behind the decal. Use your finger nails to remove them lightly. Repeat as needed then wash off with soap and water.
I'm pretty sure these are painted. I hear lacquer thinner works and won't dissolve most clear coats. We will see...

·
Registered
831 Posts
Its a beautiful color.
I rank it even higher than Nightshadow and the dark red we have.
I also looked at this car on Carmax' website.
but I have an Xterra PRO4X , an 11 and the trade in loss would be huge.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
I'm pretty sure these are painted. I hear lacquer thinner works and won't dissolve most clear coats. We will see...
I would be HIGHLY surprised if they’re painted on. Beyond highly surprised, straight up dumbfounded.

Hope it all works out! I’ll be super jealous as that’s the color I wanted 2 years ago (That’s my favorite color with the green a close second). Do keep in mind that it is a nearly 8 year old truck at this point. Nothing will be perfect after 8 years of use.

·
Registered
2,908 Posts
I would be HIGHLY surprised if they’re painted on. Beyond highly surprised, straight up dumbfounded.

Hope it all works out! I’ll be super jealous as that’s the color I wanted 2 years ago (That’s my favorite color with the green a close second). Do keep in mind that it is a nearly 8 year old truck at this point. Nothing will be perfect after 8 years of use.
When we bought the family 2019 RAV4 it also had pinstripe that was painted on, and I also was dumbfounded.

·
Registered
20 Posts
This. I've bought countless cars over the years and probably a dozen or more had pinstripes. None of them were painted. The only way they're painted on, is if the previous owner did it themselves, or had it done by a paint shop and paid a butt load of money to do it.

But then again, it has the Frontier Pro-4X decals on it, which I don't believe any Xterra came with, so anything is possible.

·
Premium Member
1,562 Posts
Looks great, we’re all hoping it works out for you!

what did you pay for shipping? Partial or full cost, which you lose if you don’t buy?
A friend bought a Pathfinder from a small Nissan dealer 1000 miles away, shipping cost him $1250. Carvana/Carmax move cars themselves and many so it’s hopefully just around $200 for you?

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I saw another X that had painted pinstripes, so I jumped to the assumption that these were painted too. But looking closely at the pinstripes again, they may very well be tape! I saw the teardrops at the front of the stripes and thought those had to be hand painted, but it does look like it could just be formed tape. And the rear end of the stripe maybe a nissan logo?
Car Vehicle Automotive parking light Automotive tail & brake light Automotive lighting
Blue Hood Automotive lighting Vehicle Automotive exterior

We will see, but I think tape will be much easier to remove. And if it leaves a faded stripe, I may just re-stripe it in a darker color that doesn't stand out so much. But I've had good luck removing decals.

what did you pay for shipping? Partial or full cost, which you lose if you don’t buy?
I pay all the shipping and lose that if I don't buy it. And it was expensive as the shipment is 2300mi. (Carmax actually didn't list it as shippable, but I called and asked.) I know it's a gamble as I have seen a couple that I didn't like in person. But there just aren't many low mileage manual Xterras out there.

The whole deal is really expensive, but I'd by a new X if I could get one. For me it will be a new vehicle. ;-)
I am really picky. And I have a really great 2007 Frontier that serves as a benchmark, it needs to be in much nicer condition that that. No need to remind me used cars have flaws... I have very seldom bought new vehicles in my life, and I've owned many. I also know that with a car like this if you look long enough some really cherry ones will pop up.

ntier Pro-4X decals on it, which I don't believe any Xterra came with, so anything is possible.
Yeah, I'm hoping the decals and hood / window deflectors are a sign an caring enthusiast owned it. ;)

·
Registered
831 Posts
keep us posted!
A Blue late model example with a 6 Speed to boot is a very nice X indeed.

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
I’m so jelly! That’s my first color option when I was looking for an X but none around. Lucky you. Congrats!

·
Registered
2013 Xterra Pro-4X
73 Posts
I am jealous of the heated seats! And it's a manual in blue. I wonder how many Blue Pro-4X manuals were ever even made, can't be that many right?

1 - 20 of 38 Posts