Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
on line
610 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The winter weather is upon us in the NE, and my antilock brakes have been making an appearance. This is my first vehicle with anti-lock brakes. Rental cars I've had in the past seem to pulse qucikly when they activated, smooth. But with the Xterra, when they activate, there feels like a lot of crunching and grinding going on, almost feels like theres no brake pad in there. Is this something with ABS in trucks? Is this normal? Thanks.

·
on line
82 Posts
Muzikman said:
Totally normal.
Thanks. I heard this last night and was a bit concerned.

·
on line
704 Posts
I guess you have not heard hill-descent control at work :) That sounds weird... But it is still normal too. For some reason I miss freaking NE winters now that I have a 4x4 :)

·
on line
874 Posts
I heard it all day yesterday...then agin we got 8 inches of snow here in New England!!!!

·
on line
610 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks, had me a little worried. We only had a couple inches here north of NYC, but enough to get that ABS going. The truck is terrific in the snow, ice, rain, slush, etc. Put it in 4LO and it just plows on through. 8 inches up in Nashua, not bad for this time of year. Thanks everyone!

·
on line
610 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks, had me a little worried. We only had a couple inches here north of NYC, but enough to get that ABS going. The truck is terrific in the snow, ice, rain, slush, etc. Put it in 4LO and it just plows on through. 8 inches up in Nashua, not bad for this time of year. Thanks everyone!

·
on line
610 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I didnt know that DBAX, good point. I guess what I'm experiencing isnt ABS but ABLS. I guess the Xterra is equipped with both, and that crunching and grinding is the ABLS, no wonder it feels completely different from prior experiences with ABS, thanks.

·
on line
1,361 Posts
I only heard mine once yesterday when I tested how slick it was, otherwise driving in 5 inches I never had to apply that much brake, the snow slowed me down pretty quickly :geek:

·
on line
15,651 Posts
If you hear the noise when on the gas, then it will be the ABLS, if you hear it when stopping, it's ABS.

The ABS is MUCH louder than the ABLS as it's acting on all 4 wheels. VDC will also pulse the brakes when cornering if it thinks you are getting a little out of control.

We only got a couple inches over the past couple days, but man, the X handles totally different without the VDC or ABLS (something happened last week and mine broke (slip and VDC lights on). I have not had time to take it to the dealer yet. Figures...fails just in time for the snow. :)

·
on line
610 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Muzikman, its definitely making that crunching and grinding sound when I hit the brakes without the 4WD on. You say its the ABS activating for all 4 wheels, and this crunching, grinding sound is normal? Thanks.

Al

·
on line
15,651 Posts
It just happened. I got in one morning, turned on the X and the Slip and VDC lights were on. They shut off once, but have been on since then. No idea what happened, but it seemed like it was a common problem with the 05's. Once I get a free day it will be going to the dealer to be looked at, along with the fuel sending unit. My gas gauge hasn't been right for probably a year.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Crunch only on Front Driver Side?

I've been noticing the crunching sound also. My last vehicle was a dodge ram 4x4, the abs never seemed to make this much noise. Is it normal to only hear it coming from this area? It seems like the brakes are working normally, just some unexpected sounds and a little more vibration from the front left. The weather here in Nebraska is making me really appreciate my new X!

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
I guess you have not heard hill-descent control at work :) That sounds weird... But it is still normal too. For some reason I miss freaking NE winters now that I have a 4x4 :)
I honestly never understood the point of that feature.

·
on line
1,234 Posts
the point is so that you don't have to worry about braking + clutching + possibly applying the breaks + steering + not falling off a cliff entirely + peeing your pants because your on a slope steep enough to use the hill decent control. it takes one of the major components out so it's only you vs. the clutch and the mountain in that case

1 - 20 of 22 Posts