Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
on line
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it better to run with the sway bars on or off for street driving. what is the consequence on running with them off.

·
In Limbo
9,460 Posts
I removed mine when I did my lift. The only difference for me is that I have to take it slow on on and off ramps. The VDC kicks on and I loose traction due to one tire not staying in contact with the road with the sway bar off.

Other than that, I have no problems on or off road.

·
on line
15,651 Posts
If you are 100% street driving. Leave them on.

If you wheel, remove the rear.

If you have stiffer front suspension, you can probably get away with removing the front too. The the wheel travel gain is not that great.

·
on line
3,218 Posts
"If you have stiffer front suspension, you can probably get away with removing the front too."

You sure you want to go there?..

·
on line
15,651 Posts
Oh, you can feel the front when it's off, but if it's stiff enough it's not bad. As a matter of fact I had to made a evasive maneuver to avoid a guy that decided to do a u-turn into my passenger side door. I swerved over an entire lane at 45mph and never once felt like I was out of control.

·
on line
376 Posts
I like it more since I took my front swaybar off (frontiers don't have rear swaybars). It seems to have less understeer on road, and the extra flex offroad is always appreciated.

·
on line
316 Posts
Im still under factory warranty and would hate to void it by removing the rear bar.

·
on line
15,651 Posts
Just removing the bar would not void a warranty. It's easy to put back on before taking it in if you are worried about it. 6 bolts and you are done.

·
on line
316 Posts
I'll take ur word for it Muzik. I'll work on that later today.

·
on line
15,651 Posts
Take a look, it's pretty simple (the rear that is).

Also, if you do decided to take it off. Go to an empty parking low, and see how the vehicle handles before removing it and then again after. You will notice a little difference, but nothing that will scare you.

But, as I said above, if you never wheel, no point in taking it off.

·
on line
13,467 Posts
I tookmine off this weekend and it really was easy to remove. I havent noticed a difference. But i do have new shocks and the aal in the back. That may make a difference in how stiff the rear is, along with the timbren. Or im just talking out my ass and the mods dont make a lick of difference. Would be easy to put back though. It took me like 10 min to remove. But it was chewed up in the middle from wheeling. Lots of scrapes and stuff on the lower middle portion of the sway bar.

·
on line
1,208 Posts
ive had mine off (rear) for over 6 months, not problems, no worries. ive even had it in to the dealership and they never said one thing to me about it being off

·
on line
2,004 Posts
Are there any quick disconnects available?

·
on line
807 Posts
bwarren228 said:
I like it more since I took my front swaybar off (frontiers don't have rear swaybars). It seems to have less understeer on road, and the extra flex offroad is always appreciated.
X2. I think it handles better without swaybars. I noticed a slight increase in bodyroll, but not much, and over bumps it is drastically smoother, since the suspension can now actually work like it is supposed to. I drive pretty aggressively on back roads and have zero problems.

·
on line
666 Posts
Well I've been inadvertently been without my rear since July... It broke doing some very light wheeling on Mt. Bross. It's still there, keep meaning to get it to the stealership to get it replaced, then see if I like it on or off better... Snapped on the passenger side just inboard of the passenger side axle mount.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts